ST - Several motor workshops ordered to close as Government steps up Covid-19 measures

noobcarbuyer

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/motor-workshops-ordered-to-close-as-government-steps-up-covid-19-measures

Straits Times - Several motor workshops ordered to close as Government steps up Covid-19 measures

Several motor workshops have been given up to 48 hours to close, including those which had previously received permission to remain open.

In response to queries by The Straits Times, the Ministry of Trade and Industry (MTI) pointed to new rules which rescind permission given earlier to motor workshops to continue doing emergency repairs and servicing vehicles used for essential services.

ComfortDelGro's Spark workshops are also allowed to continue providing emergency repair services.

But several other workshops - including those operated by authorised vehicle dealers - had received e-mails from last Saturday (April 25) of the change.

Ford dealer Vantage got its notice on Monday morning.

Managing director Christopher Chin said the company is appealing, as it has supplied vehicles to the police as well as the military, and would like to be able to continue servicing those.

ST understands other affected authorised agents include multi-franchise group Wearnes Automotive, Nissan agent Tan Chong Motor and BMW agent Performance Motors.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

All PML service centers had closed since CB, only emergency repairs and they come to you for that (had a coolant refill warning recently and called them, advised to self service with tap water).  I am still living with the freaking service light on my dashboard, 1 months already, now need to live with it for another month. 😅

Not clear what has changed for PML?

Heard home aircon repair also not allowed now.    Better pray hard my aircon don't break down during this CCB period. 

• Haha! 1

21 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

All PML service centers had closed since CB, only emergency repairs and they come to you for that (had a coolant refill warning recently and called them, advised to self service with tap water).  I am still living with the freaking service light on my dashboard, 1 months already, now need to live with it for another month. 😅

Heard home aircon repair also not allowed now.    Better pray hard my aircon don't break down during this CCB period. 

How many KM till ZERO?

3 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

How many KM till ZERO?

300km to service mileage. Was told can drive on.  Not sure if the yellow light will become a freaking red blinking light, then it will be truly irritating.😅

• Haha! 1

53 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

Yes, all on-site aircon and IT repair / servicing are not allowed until the end of the CB. 

Imagine aircon breakdown while WFH and with the kids having HBL. Will definitely go nuts. 

• Praise 2

37 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

300km to service mileage. Was told can drive on.  Not sure if the yellow light will become a freaking red blinking light, then it will be truly irritating.😅

It will be just yellow spanner with annoying chim sound when you start up.

I get that annoying chim everytime i start up the car.  My rear left light LED chut pattern.

Edited by inlinesix
  • Haha! 2

26 minutes ago, noobcarbuyer said:

Yes, all on-site aircon and IT repair / servicing are not allowed until the end of the CB. 

Imagine aircon breakdown while WFH and with the kids having HBL. Will definitely go nuts. 

No aircon, open windows, mosquito bite, dengue, go hospital, kanna COVID. 

• Haha! 5

Supersonic
5 hours ago, Voodooman said:

The service light is just a irritating reminder. It is reset by PML every time you do a service there.

Someone outside can also reset the reminder with the proper tool.

Or maybe you can try this

or this ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW_ffAXvkoM

Edited by Kb27
  • Praise 1

Not just car workshops. A lot of other small businesses were given the same notification on Monday morning. Kenna cut short of the exemption they were initially given to May 4th.

I think it's to further cut down movement to prevent anymore spreading.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/motor-workshops-ordered-to-close-earlier-now-told-they-can-continue-to-operate

SINGAPORE - Just days after it ordered several motor workshops to close, the Ministry of Trade and Industry (MTI) has told some of them that they could continue to operate.

The workshops are now sending out another round of e-mails informing customers of the latest turn of events.

In an e-mail sent to workshop operators such as multi-franchise Wearnes Automotive, BMW agent Performance Motors and Nissan dealer Tan Chong Motors as early as Tuesday night (April 28), the MTI said: "This is regarding the earlier notification you received to rescind earlier exemption from suspension. We would like to inform you that (name of company) may continue with operations for the duration of the circuit breaker."

Companies which received the latest notification were baffled. "We're not sure what is happening," one said. "This is a roller coaster."

Asked to comment on the apparent double U-turn, an MTI spokesman said on Wednesday evening it recognises that recovery and repair services for emergency vehicles are an essential service.

"Accordingly, we have allowed workshops that provide such services to continue to operate during this period."

Some of the workshops which were given 48 hours to close over the weekend and on Monday have long supplied and serviced such vehicles. For instance, Wearnes and Tan Chong both sell ambulances.

In its latest note, the MTI reminded companies that they are required to "implement strict safe distancing measures within their premises, and for company-arranged transport, to reduce social interactions among workers during their course of work, as well as during their meal and break times".

It had previously said it had rescinded the permission to operate for some workshops to reduce the movement of people further to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

17 hours ago, Watwheels said:

Not just car workshops. A lot of other small businesses were given the same notification on Monday morning. Kenna cut short of the exemption they were initially given to May 4th.

I think it's to further cut down movement to prevent anymore spreading.

Just received a call from my regular workshop that my appointment for 5th may have to be cancelled due to they will not be allowed to operate till end of this CB. Properly they also received notice to close the workshop till CB end.. meanwhile bo bian.. my 10k servicing have to drag lao.. probably maybe reach 15 or 16k when circuit breaker ends..  

I know a few Co's kenna cease ops on Monday morning (they give them 48 hours) not only car WS but other supposedly essential trades ...... Getting very difficult.... they have to appeal or go on time based application (like how many hours they want to stay open subject to only 2 times a week); Now Importers/Exporters also kenna    

• Praise 1

16 minutes ago, BanCoe said:

I know a few Co's kenna cease ops on Monday morning (they give them 48 hours) not only car WS but other supposedly essential trades ...... Getting very difficult.... they have to appeal or go on time based application (like how many hours they want to stay open subject to only 2 times a week); Now Importers/Exporters also kenna    

Even car sharing like smove also kanna.. They will also need to close during this cb period lao.. 

On 4/28/2020 at 4:26 PM, Voodooman said:

Dont drive lor during CB

I support this move by our government even though they have to rethink the initial plan. There should be a blanket policy for all workshops and the government should not be in the business of picking winners or losers. 

This is not flipping prata as many of you claim and I am glad our government is not afraid to change their minds according to feedback from the ground. As they say, when facts change, we change our mind.

Edited by ToyotaShuttle
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1