Should Singapore Bring in Ford Focus ST Wagon?

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

Should Singapore Bring in Ford Focus ST Wagon?

200630-15619-2-uFOWA.jpg

I have watched some of the media launches ystd from Taiwan media and was shocked that the Focus is a well-positioned and well-liken car in Taiwan! I wish that Singapore will have such responses towards car like this too! 

20200630-23222-2.jpg

20200630-23223-3.jpg

20200630-23224-5.jpg

20200630-23225-6.jpg

20200630-23226-7.jpg

20200630-23227-9.jpg

20200630-23228-10.jpg

20200630-23229-11.jpg

20200630-23230-4.jpg

20200630-23231-8.jpg

20200630-23232-12.jpg

Maybe our TP can consider too?

ford-focus-st-estate-uk-police-car.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Twincharged

there isnt even a sedan, SUV or hatch available in Singapore. only the mustang and Ranger. why bother.

• Haha! 5

Supersonic

Wagon is less popular, but the selling begin with AD. The AD is not even keen to sell any of Ford models, letting alone wagon. Look around and see how many focus or other ford models are on the road, go walk into AD showroom and you will know why.

• Praise 6
  • Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
2 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

there isnt even a sedan, SUV or hatch available in Singapore. only the mustang and Ranger. why bother.

But the ST is using the same 2.3L ecoboost as the Mustang, I think it is a good proposition to have it leh. My own thoughts lah. hahah.

4 minutes ago, Daniu82 said:

Seems like wagon is not a favoured model here in SG. 

Erm. yah. For this I agree. But the practicality of a wagon is ideal. I like the levorg thou, but it is on a CVT gb. haha. 

• Praise 1

Supersonic

B4 we even talk abt a ST, let alone a niche wagon, the AD isn't even interested to bring in a basic 1L Focus sedan....

• Praise 2

Internal Moderator
25 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

Wagon is less popular, but the selling begin with AD. The AD is not even keen to sell any of Ford models, letting alone wagon. Look around and see how many focus or other ford models are on the road, go walk into AD showroom and you will know why.

That is true lah. I am wondering why ford is not popular among SG. I see Taiwanese love Ford. The Kuga also instantly sold out when it just launched there.

I like wagons, like mazda 6, levorg and stagea with r34 front. in terms of looks, generally wider cars looks better. Focus might be too small and this just looks like an elongated hatchback like the Honda shuttle.

Also, its a fact that sedan and HB are not as popular as before. Most people go for SUV nowadays. Moreover, this is more of an enthusiast car, if sell around 180k in SG, I bet less than 10 will be sold per year.

• Praise 5

The Ford's ecoboost engine has a number of reliability issues. Not to mention the gb also got a number of issues. Sorted out or not I dunno. 

No, thanks.

• Praise 1

50 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

U hit the nail on the head, The Ford AD Regent Motors are only selling Mustang and Ranger. Don't know what happened to them as models like Fiesta, Focus, Mondeo, C-Max, Galaxy etc slowly stopped being sold for whatever reason.

Some theory was that it was due to the VES banding which made their car prices noncompetitive but not sure if this was true or not. Anyway, without even the mainstream Ford models being sold, I don't see how this wagon will be imported.

It's certainly a pity cos Ford cars used to give the Japs a run for their money being priced at near Jap prices but being Conti made. Their departure was a somewhat boon for VW who filled the gap with their Polo, Golf and Jetta. Maybe a change of AD will help but I'm sure the Ford parent knows better.

• Praise 7

Regent Motors definitely had/have a problem with models and pricing.

I had a Legacy GT Wagon so an ST Wagon would have been a good alternative then. I didn't look at the ST because it was only available as a manual but I see this Wagon comes with an autobox, handy for local traffic.

With the amount of Fords on the road, I've more recently wondered if Regent would be able to service in the longer term.

• Praise 2

Ford is moving away from sedans/compact cars. Their main focus is trucks, SUVs & Mustang. If you get 1 now, who knows if you will be able to service in future.

(edited)
4 minutes ago, Keei said:

Ford is moving away from sedans/compact cars. Their main focus is trucks, SUVs & Mustang. If you get 1 now, who knows if you will be able to service in future.

That is only for US market lah.

Ford is not stupid to kill encouraging sales of Ford Fiesta and Focus in European countries like the UK.

I am less concerned with Ford's reliability than a French car.

Edited by Brass
  • Praise 4

Twincharged
2 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

But the ST is using the same 2.3L ecoboost as the Mustang, I think it is a good proposition to have it leh. My own thoughts lah. hahah.

Erm. yah. For this I agree. But the practicality of a wagon is ideal. I like the levorg thou, but it is on a CVT gb. haha. 

The Hyundai i30 wagon seems to be good and is DCT. But if you go to the service center, many still compliant of glitch after software update

• Praise 1

Twincharged
(edited)
1 hour ago, Brass said:

That is only for US market lah.

Ford is not stupid to kill encouraging sales of Ford Fiesta and Focus in European countries like the UK.

I am less concerned with Ford's reliability than a French car.

but still cannot buy locally. air freight parts from UK all the time meh? only a goondoo stockist will stock parts for Ford. in the end you need to PAY if you want to drive a rare and unique car. if it is a more desirable car instead of the bread and butter ones, i can understand. but to pay more for parts and down time for a FORD? you gotta be kidding.

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 1

1 hour ago, Mkl22 said:

but still cannot buy locally. air freight parts from UK all the time meh? only a goondoo stockist will stock parts for Ford. in the end you need to PAY if you want to drive a rare and unique car. if it is a more desirable car instead of the bread and butter ones, i can understand. but to pay more for parts and down time for a FORD? you gotta be kidding.

There is Taiwan, which is a solid base for Ford. And they sell ok in China, despite being eclipsed by others.

You shouldnt see the need to worry if the cars are both sold there. Excluding LHD specific parts, doors and bumpers and the etc should be easily found there.

Moreover, nobody uses airfreight if they want to transport big items over long distances. That will be too expensive.

I will only boycott them if it is too expensive. The AD sucks, but Ford in Asia is in a much better position than Chevy.

The way you put if makes it seem like Im buying a Fiat.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

2 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

When buying continental cars, why must keep mentioning US or Europe?? No need think so far, Ford have factories all over the world, even Taiwan got 1. In South East Asia - Vietnam and Thailand have Ford production plants. We can easily source the parts from there. 

I've been researching our neighbours' automotive industry during this period. Just realised Singapore is like a zero in this field with no relevant field nor industry. What are we teaching our students in Engineering at tertiary institutions??

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3