QIQ electric cars for rental in Punggol

StreetFight3r

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/qiq-electric-microcars-last-mile-journeys-qiq-pods-13006284

Come next year, some commuters may be able to make the last-mile journey between their home and the MRT station in a small, two-seater electric car. 

Singapore firm QIQ Global plans to launch the microcars for hire. Dubbed the QIQ Pod, it will be no bigger than 2.4m long and 1m wide.

The concept is similar to the shared electric vehicles currently offered by BlueSG, said QIQ Global chief executive and co-founder Justin Sim. 

Mr Sim told CNA he believes there is demand for such vehicles, especially in towns such as Punggol. 

“For a lot of the residents in Punggol, they are still required to take a feeder service or to walk a long distance to reach the LRT (Light Rail Transit) station,” he said, adding that there is still “a lot of inefficiency” in the town’s public transport network. 

QIQ Global, which operates about 400 e-bikes and e-scooters in Hanoi, had previously expressed interest in Singapore's now-suspended shared e-scooter scheme. 

Mr Sim said he hopes the QIQ Pod will be the company's flagship product moving forward, and plans to introduce between 300 and 600 microcars in Punggol.

The company intends to launch a trial by next year, he said, adding that it is in discussions with two companies in the transportation and logistics industries.

To ensure that the vehicles are used for short trips, Mr Sim said there will be geo-fencing, which uses GPS or radio frequency identification technology to create a virtual geographic boundary. 

Unlike BlueSG cars which need to be parked at charging stations, QIQ Global intends for its microcars to be able to autonomously direct themselves to park at the nearest charging station.

"It's so easy to drive you don't even need to learn how to park the car," said Mr Sim. "When you end the ride, you leave it by the curbside and it will park by itself."

It also aims to employ a method called platooning, which involves a human-driven car leading a convoy of driverless cars using wireless communications. This would cut down on the number of people needed to distribute the cars to areas where they are needed.

During off-peak hours, drivers would be able to use the QIQ Pods to perform deliveries, maximising the use of these vehicles, said Mr Sim.

It would likely cost S$2 for an ad hoc ride lasting 30 minutes, and between S$30 and S$50 per month to use the QIQ Pod multiple times daily, he added.

Those using it for logistics purposes would have to pay a monthly fee of about S$180 to S$240, Mr Sim said. 

BT20200715_FEATURE_6.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

They ply the roads. So only licensed drivers allowed? Insurance?

Goodness, we just barely managed and works in progress with the pmds of the racing n reckless kind, hopefully this won't be another case in a boxy kind. 

What is wrong with using legs and walking? Every bloody step will vomit blood until dead. No, I am not talking about the elderly and feeble here. 

It is the mentality of ppl that is in need of serious awareness of road safety. I dread to think of more accidents ahead. 

Sorry for rant. 

Stay safe all 

Cheers 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

"It's so easy to drive you don't even need to learn how to park the car," said Mr Sim. "When you end the ride, you leave it by the curbside and it will park by itself."

0*GUBh8Z6Ae2TXNTlj.

Sooooo........ a startup is able to achieve/perfect something the billion $$$$$$$$ car industry cannot? I call BS. 

Edited by Mockngbrd
  • Praise 1

a fleet of these slow (40km/h) vehicle hogging the already congested road? Unless expanding the road is part of their grand plan, if not pls spare us drivers.

2 hours ago, StreetFight3r said:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/qiq-electric-microcars-last-mile-journeys-qiq-pods-13006284

Mr Sim told CNA he believes there is demand for such vehicles, especially in towns such as Punggol. 

“For a lot of the residents in Punggol, they are still required to take a feeder service or to walk a long distance to reach the LRT (Light Rail Transit) station,” he said, adding that there is still “a lot of inefficiency” in the town’s public transport network. 

Spoiler

BT20200715_FEATURE_6.jpg

4d3c8b502289e65d46316bc608c3a2e0.gif

1 hour ago, Beanoyip said:

Who would use this? Ride bicycle or take bus would be much more convenient.. most MRTs are so close to home these days.

Looks like you don't stay in Punggol

55 minutes ago, Xers007 said:

a fleet of these slow (40km/h) vehicle hogging the already congested road? Unless expanding the road is part of their grand plan, if not pls spare us drivers.

Previously, ppl kpkb about PMD

Now, ppl kpkb about Leotard hog road.

Future, ppl kpkb about QIQ hog road

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

Pls don't. What is the ancap rating for these shoebox cars? I'm not stepping into one knowing that I'm on the losing end in the event of an accident.

Tired of hearing last mile journey. The best is walking or take feeder bus. But really need to improve feeder bus service. To many, the intervals between the bus arrival is too long. I would rather walk 15mins than to wait at the bus stop for the same duration. 

• Praise 1

44 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

Pls don't. What is the ancap rating for these shoebox cars? I'm not stepping into one knowing that I'm on the losing end in the event of an accident.

Tired of hearing last mile journey. The best is walking or take feeder bus. But really need to improve feeder bus service. To many, the intervals between the bus arrival is too long. I would rather walk 15mins than to wait at the bus stop for the same duration. 

I also rather walk for 15 mins. Now i already need to walk 12-15 mins from MRT to my house, many times walk until very hot but better than waiting 10-15 mins for the bus to come and then take another 10-15 mins ride. Lol.

↡ Advertisement