Car or Public Transport - the balance score card

carloverguy2017

Sometimes I find that driving a car out seems to be more of an inconvenient compare to public transport.

Don't get me wrong. Having a car park in the mall, with impromptu purchases, bags of groceries and big item stuffs definitely brings convenient when you know you have a car parked in the mall. Even a trip to Ikea will seems so much friendly when you know you can buy that cute chair for your kids or a small cabinet.

But sometimes when I drive to a mall, knowing I don't have a plan to buy any big items, lots of stuffs, etc. I would prefer to take the public transport.

Here is my balance score card to take public transport, in no priority orders ;

1. I can shop for as long as I wish, no having to worry about the cost of parking.

2. I can visit the mall without trying meet the hourly parking before 4:59 p.m. versus the per entry after 5:01 p.m.

3. I can mall hop from one MRT station to another one without worrying of exiting the carpark and entering another mall's carpark and incurring additional cost.

4. Especially convenient when I can shop from Orchard Ion all the way to Plaza Singapura without having to U turn to pick up the car.

What are your thought ?

Besides using the car for work, in fact if you don't even need a car for work, I think probably we will give up driving ?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

My guess is you don’t have young infants/ kids?..

I bought a car for sending n picking them to / fro childcare ..

might not drive when they reach mid primary school going years...

12 minutes ago, Mrmilktooth said:

My guess is you don’t have young infants/ kids?..

I bought a car for sending n picking them to / fro childcare ..

might not drive when they reach mid primary school going years...

I have young kids..  why would you need to send your kids to childcare in a car ? No childcare in your neighbourhood ?
I have more than 4 childcare centers all around my block where I stay. Spoilt for choices.

50 minutes ago, carloverguy2017 said:

Sometimes I find that driving a car out seems to be more of an inconvenient compare to public transport.

Don't get me wrong. Having a car park in the mall, with impromptu purchases, bags of groceries and big item stuffs definitely brings convenient when you know you have a car parked in the mall. Even a trip to Ikea will seems so much friendly when you know you can buy that cute chair for your kids or a small cabinet.

But sometimes when I drive to a mall, knowing I don't have a plan to buy any big items, lots of stuffs, etc. I would prefer to take the public transport.

1. I can shop for as long as I wish, no having to worry about the cost of parking.

2. I can visit the mall without trying meet the hourly parking before 4:59 p.m. versus the per entry after 5:01 p.m.

3. I can mall hop from one MRT station to another one without worrying of exiting the carpark and entering another mall's carpark and incurring additional cost.

4. Especially convenient when I can shop from Orchard Ion all the way to Plaza Singapura without having to U turn to pick up the car.

What are your thought ?

Besides using the car for work, in fact if you don't even need a car for work, I think probably we will give up driving ?

For points 1, 2 and 3, if you live in an HDB and you park in HDB carparks most of the time, a motorcycle  satisfies the 3 points. 

But Orchard wise, mostly its 1 dollar per day, but you may be barred from some nasty carparks in the city.

Quite true that if i want to go shopping at the whole stretch of orchard road indeed driving quite troublesome since i need to walk back to get my car and parking fee is not cheap. But if you plan to buy things along orchard rd, still good to have a car to transport your shopping bags. Lol.

Other than that, if most of the time if only go to one mall, driving still better than public transport la.

And if given a choice, i would still prefer to drive than take public transport no matter where i go. I dont like public transport at all even it is convenience, unless really cannot drive than no choice but to take public transport. 😂

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, carloverguy2017 said:

What are your thought ?

When i go out to drink with my friends,  no driving for sure,  train or PHV . But if i go out with family, i will  definitely drive, and I will  choose whatever is most convenient to my family, regardless of parking charges or ERP. When i decide to drive  ,i dont want to be bothered by charges.

• Praise 2

Does TS consider taxi/PHV as "public transport"? If so, from a purely practical point of view I feel there's not much reason to drive. For places that are too difficult to get to via bus/train, call a PHV. Nowadays with apps to hail a ride, don't really need to worry about availability and booking charges. If you park at Orchard for a few hours, the fee may already exceed your PHV fare. And you can use the time during the ride for work/entertainment on your phone.

However for many of us here, convenience may not be the first reason for having a car, it's the joy of driving and passion for cars 😉

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, 601F said:

Does TS consider taxi/PHV as "public transport"? If so, from a purely practical point of view I feel there's not much reason to drive. For places that are too difficult to get to via bus/train, call a PHV. Nowadays with apps to hail a ride, don't really need to worry about availability and booking charges. If you park at Orchard for a few hours, the fee may already exceed your PHV fare. And you can use the time during the ride for work/entertainment on your phone.

However for many of us here, convenience may not be the first reason for having a car, it's the joy of driving and passion for cars 😉

I like to go for solo night drives, or off-peak mid afternoon drives on days when I'm on leave. So yeah, I'll gladly accept any tradeoff haha

• Praise 5

31 minutes ago, SiLangKia said:

I like to go for solo night drives, or off-peak mid afternoon drives on days when I'm on leave. So yeah, I'll gladly accept any tradeoff haha

Me too! 

• Praise 2

6 hours ago, carloverguy2017 said:

I have young kids..  why would you need to send your kids to childcare in a car ? No childcare in your neighbourhood ?
I have more than 4 childcare centers all around my block where I stay. Spoilt for choices.

No waiting list at all?

5 hours ago, 13177 said:

Quite true that if i want to go shopping at the whole stretch of orchard road indeed driving quite troublesome since i need to walk back to get my car and parking fee is not cheap. But if you plan to buy things along orchard rd, still good to have a car to transport your shopping bags. Lol.

Other than that, if most of the time if only go to one mall, driving still better than public transport la.

And if given a choice, i would still prefer to drive than take public transport no matter where i go. I dont like public transport at all even it is convenience, unless really cannot drive than no choice but to take public transport. 😂

If weather permitting I would walk toward tangling mall...slowly stroll toward plaza sing.

Weather too hot then public buses for me. 

I don't shop at orchard at all. Too ex and not within my budget. 🤭

I haven't stepped into an MRT in years.Bus < 10 times in the last 5 years i think . So this is extremely unbalanced 🤣.I like to just drive with no particular destination in mind quite frequently .

Edited by shrjun
  • Praise 1

49 minutes ago, shrjun said:

I haven't stepped into an MRT in years.Bus < 10 times in the last 5 years i think . So this is extremely unbalanced 🤣.I like to just drive with no particular destination in mind quite frequently .

For most people who own a car,  by right they would not take a MRT or bus at all la, no matter go where or how far or near, would just drive. But there are also some people who own a car but might not drive 100% due to some reasons.

Edited by 13177

i take mrt to and from work on weekdays, car use mostly on weekends and when on leave 😃

Public transport is still fine if using MRT, just dont like taking the buses, long waiting times and slow journey plus the bus jerks a lot, very uncomfortable ride.

Also frustrating is SGP roads too congested nowadays, everyone stuck in SGP cannot go overseas freely.

Cannot open throttle even on the highways except for very short bursts then must slow down.  Missing NSHW a lot.

• Haha! 1

14 minutes ago, Confusedboi said:

i take mrt to and from work on weekdays, car use mostly on weekends and when on leave 😃

Public transport is still fine if using MRT, just dont like taking the buses, long waiting times and slow journey plus the bus jerks a lot, very uncomfortable ride.

Also frustrating is SGP roads too congested nowadays, everyone stuck in SGP cannot go overseas freely.

Cannot open throttle even on the highways except for very short bursts then must slow down.  Missing NSHW a lot.

Quite true, if only your house is near to mrt, taking mrt still quite ok if the train dont kana power failure again and got stuck inside the train. I hate taking buses, like what you said, long waiting time and jerky ride. Even though people might say buses now have improved a lot, with many new buses and shorter waiting time as compared to last time. But still find taking buses really wasting lots of time. Example if i need to take 2 buses to my destination, if each bus needs to wait 10 mins, i already wasted 20 mins of my time just to wait for the bus, still have not included the time taken on the bus ride. Lol.

I always enjoy driving. Going out driving is always will be my choice. 

Sometime just to drive out at night to enjoy the drive. 

Only time that I have no choice not to drive is going out for dinner knowing that I will drink 2 glasses or 3.

Edited by Tohto
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2