2022 Toyota bZ4X

Carbon82

Message added by BabyBlade,

Another EV to many of us, but it's the first in a series of zero emission battery electric vehicles (BEVs) from Toyota. And it will be on sales from mid of next year. Toyota fans rejoice! [bounce2] [bounce2]

toyota_bz_4x_concept_1_02a3047c15490fca.

toyota_bz_4x_concept_8.jpg

toyota_bz_4x_concept_92.jpg

toyota_bz_4x_concept_52_022502e216e30f92

toyota_bz_4x_concept_6.jpg

toyota_bz_4x_concept_4.jpg

toyota_bz_4x_concept_7.jpg

toyota_bz_4x_concept_76.jpg

toyota_bz_4x_concept_74.jpg

toyota_bz_4x_concept_94.jpg

Toyota bZ4X Concept is the first model to feature Toyota's new bZ - beyond Zero - naming convention. By 2025, Toyota aims to introduce 15 battery electric vehicles, including 7 Toyota bZ models. The 'bZ' is an acronym for 'beyond Zero', reinforcing Toyota's commitment to not only achieving zero carbon emissions and carbon neutrality, but also going beyond to realise new benefits for the environment, for individuals and for society as a whole.

The bZ4X Concept, a medium-size SUV with all-wheel drive, is integral to Toyota's transition from a pure car company to a business dedicated to delivering better mobility for all. It was developed by Toyota Motor Corporation in partnership with Subaru Corporation, drawing on the specific skills and experience of each company. Sales of the production version are expected to commence around the middle of 2022.

Toyota bZ4X Concept will be available with a world-first combination of a steering yoke and a steer-by-wire system. This technology gives the driver greater control, removing interference from rough road surfaces and braking, thereby giving a more precise response in line with the vehicle's speed and steering angle. Steer-by-wire also dispenses with the traditional, circular steering wheel, replacing it with a uniquely shaped steering yoke which eliminates the need for the driver to move their hands around the wheel as they make a turn, adding to the car's fun-to-drive quality.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 15

10 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

Toyota bZ4X Concept will be available with a world-first combination of a steering yoke and a steer-by-wire system. This technology gives the driver greater control, removing interference from rough road surfaces and braking, thereby giving a more precise response in line with the vehicle's speed and steering angle. Steer-by-wire also dispenses with the traditional, circular steering wheel, replacing it with a uniquely shaped steering yoke which eliminates the need for the driver to move their hands around the wheel as they make a turn, adding to the car's fun-to-drive quality.

Dont really understand this. But i know i always put my hand at the 12 o clock position of the steering wheel. Now put where?🤣

Supercharged

Doesn't look like concept car at all. Everything seems production-ready.

Only the steering joystick... suspect it will change back to wheel eventually.

A BEV RAV4? I like the exterior design but quite sure interior design will be let down by the hard plastic used.

"removing interference from rough road surfaces and braking" sound to me no steering feel. I'm perfectly fine with it but pretty sure the car reviewer gonna bash it.

• Haha! 1

On 4/20/2021 at 10:49 AM, Stratovarius said:

Dont really understand this. But i know i always put my hand at the 12 o clock position of the steering wheel. Now put where?🤣

I am not sure even if our LTA will approve the use of York steering on our road. 

Anyway, I believe it will come with standard steering when it is available next year, whereas the York steering will be cost option, or for certain market only. 

On 4/20/2021 at 11:28 AM, t0y0ta said:

Doesn't look like concept car at all. Everything seems production-ready.

Only the steering joystick... suspect it will change back to wheel eventually.

Look very much like other Toyota SUV such as Yaris Cross, Harrier, RAV4, etc. 

20200831_01_01_s.jpg

20200413_01_23_s.jpg

toyota-rav4-2019-coming-soon-header_tcm-

• Praise 6

Twincharged
8 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

I am not sure even if our LTA will approve the use of York steering on our road. 

Anyway, I believe it will come with standard steering when it is available next year, whereas the York steering will be cost option, or for certain market only. 

Look very much like other Toyota SUV such as Yaris Cross, Harrier, RAV4, etc. 

20200831_01_01_s.jpg

20200413_01_23_s.jpg

toyota-rav4-2019-coming-soon-header_tcm-

You assume LTA knows anything about cars! Paper scholars and warriors there. All safety and certifications depend or copied from EU or Japan. 

• Haha! 2

Nice!
I don't need to change my car just yet, but this makes sense, and looks nice!

For low mileage drivers, the hybrids are an odd choice, because there's a hit in terms of the battery, the OMV and other factors..

I hope a totally EV car with less charging will last ten years.. or Toyota will give this car a ten year battery warranty.. 

12 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

So how does the steering works? Just turn it left or right and the steering will keep moving in that direction? Something like what i did to my ps controller on grand turismo? 

Tesla was the first with "Yoke" steering wheel in their latest Model S. Apparently it has been approved for use in the EU. 

IMG_6534-scaled.jpg

Edited by Toeknee_33
  • Praise 1

Maybe it’s because they don’t actually expect the driver to be actually driving the Tesla in future with autonomous driving?

I miss my MOMO fighter ..

Internal Moderator

Toyota bZ4X Battery To Retain 90% Capacity After 10 Years

source: https://insideevs.com/news/531990/toyota-bz4x-battery-capacity-durability/

That's the target set by the manufacturer.

image.png.b8c1e7af42bacec3b738ecd5a2e6a103.png

Toyota announced, by the way of a broader conference about batteries and electrification, that its new electric cars will have significantly more durable batteries.

The target set for the upcoming Toyota bZ4X and following BEVs is 90% of initial battery capacity (and range) maintained over 10 years of usage.

In other words, a car that has 500 km (311 miles) of range when new, should still have 450 km (280 miles) of range after 10 years. Of course, we assume that it could be less if the user would exceed the typical mileage or fast charging usage (Toyota does not reveal info about that).

Anyway, the target is very good and consistent with Toyota's focus on the reliability of cars.

The currently available Toyota BEVs in China (C-HR and IZOA) had a target of about 75-80%, while the plug-in hybrid Priuses appear to be at about 50-55% (the first generation) and at about 60-65% (the second generation). At least that is what we see on the chart.

"We have applied the technologies that we have cultivated through the development of batteries for HEVs to PHEVs, and the batteries in the C-HR BEV have a greatly higher capacity retention rate after 10 years than the batteries hitherto used in our PHEVs.

Furthermore, for the Toyota bZ4X, which is scheduled to be launched soon, we have set a target of 90 percent endurance performance, which is one of the highest in the world, and we are currently finalizing our development efforts to achieve it."

toyota-s-battery-development-and-supply-

We don't know exactly how Toyota intends to achieve its target as there are various ways. Starting with durable battery chemistry, through actively managing temperatures to keep the cells very close to their optimum range, limiting its performance (like fast charging) or simply adding some additional buffer that will mask the degradation a bit.

What we know is that the Japanese manufacturer is working hard on deep details, like the described below battery temperature monitoring systems of each individual cell:

"It is known that each battery cell shows signs of localized abnormal heat generation during spirited driving or other driving that places a large load on the battery.

By analyzing the phenomena occurring inside the battery and conducting a vast amount of model experiments, we have been able to clarify the effect of driving style on the battery, as well as the mechanism of this effect.

Based on the results, we have been able to detect signs of abnormal local heating of cells through multiple monitoring of voltage, current, and temperature of individual cells, blocks of cells, and the entire battery pack.

The battery is then controlled to prevent abnormal heat generation.

We will maintain our concept of ensuring safety, security, and reliability down to the local areas of each battery even when it comes to BEV systems, and we will continue to refine that concept."

Another thing is that Toyota intends to focus on the quality of the battery cells to prevent defects:

"The third example I would like to share with you has to do with our efforts for achieving high-level quality.

If metallic foreign matter enters the battery during the manufacturing process and directly connects the anode and cathode electrically, there is the possibility of failure.

We confirmed the shape, material, and size of foreign matter that enters the manufacturing process and its effect on endurance, and we clarified how such affects batteries.

Based on this, we are being extremely attentive to the size and shape of foreign matter, and we are managing processes in a way that is aimed at preventing the generation or entry of relevant foreign matter."

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, kobayashiGT said:

Toyota bZ4X Battery To Retain 90% Capacity After 10 Years

source: https://insideevs.com/news/531990/toyota-bz4x-battery-capacity-durability/

That's the target set by the manufacturer.

image.png.b8c1e7af42bacec3b738ecd5a2e6a103.png

Toyota announced, by the way of a broader conference about batteries and electrification, that its new electric cars will have significantly more durable batteries.

The target set for the upcoming Toyota bZ4X and following BEVs is 90% of initial battery capacity (and range) maintained over 10 years of usage.

In other words, a car that has 500 km (311 miles) of range when new, should still have 450 km (280 miles) of range after 10 years. Of course, we assume that it could be less if the user would exceed the typical mileage or fast charging usage (Toyota does not reveal info about that).

Anyway, the target is very good and consistent with Toyota's focus on the reliability of cars.

The currently available Toyota BEVs in China (C-HR and IZOA) had a target of about 75-80%, while the plug-in hybrid Priuses appear to be at about 50-55% (the first generation) and at about 60-65% (the second generation). At least that is what we see on the chart.

We don't know exactly how Toyota intends to achieve its target as there are various ways. Starting with durable battery chemistry, through actively managing temperatures to keep the cells very close to their optimum range, limiting its performance (like fast charging) or simply adding some additional buffer that will mask the degradation a bit.

What we know is that the Japanese manufacturer is working hard on deep details, like the described below battery temperature monitoring systems of each individual cell:

Another thing is that Toyota intends to focus on the quality of the battery cells to prevent defects:

nice.. wonder when it will flow down to normal ICE car battery... but then the company go bust.. 10 years later still no recurring income for batt replacement. But from a green earth prospective, its a great inovation. From a biz prospective .. may not see retail customer again for battery shop. 

• Praise 2

Internal Moderator
30 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

nice.. wonder when it will flow down to normal ICE car battery... but then the company go bust.. 10 years later still no recurring income for batt replacement. But from a green earth prospective, its a great inovation. From a biz prospective .. may not see retail customer again for battery shop. 

If they can maintain such a high level of competency for their battery, they can actually do rolex model.

You wanna buy the car you need to be in the waiting list. Then let the resale market go frenzy over the car.

You no need to sell a lot of car by then, ppl will be rushing in to buy the stocks.

Oh. wait. tesla is alrd doing it. 🤣

• Haha! 1

2 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

If they can maintain such a high level of competency for their battery, they can actually do rolex model.

You wanna buy the car you need to be in the waiting list. Then let the resale market go frenzy over the car.

You no need to sell a lot of car by then, ppl will be rushing in to buy the stocks.

Oh. wait. tesla is alrd doing it. 🤣

I meant for those AGM EFB battery for our cars to be able to do 80% charge after 10 years bro...

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2