Parallel Importers: Recommended ones/ones to avoid

Linusloh

Just want to share my experience on getting a Toyota Camry from Straits Euro Auto - generally very good. Car was already in the showroom and even allowed me to test drive a bit. Successfully bid COE in the second bid and got the car within a week after bidding.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Autopoint Automobile at Ubi / Vertex seems to be generally recommended here, and is also Casetrust/SVTA member, so I made them one of the first PI to check with, but found them to be misleading, and deceptive in advertising.

Got contact of the saleslady from FB and asked for details of the package price listed on sgcarmart.  Refuses to share the details, and invites me to go down to discuss. Uhh, why so secretive?  So I went down.  Turns out that

• Salesman shares that the package price is based on 4-bid guaranteed at 29k COE.  I thought that means COE rebate level at 29k, but asked to be sure...  He says it is 4 bids at $29k, and if $29k is not enough on the 4th bid, I can top-up the difference, so that is why it is "guaranteed". If I don't wish to top-up, my deposit would be refunded.  (most recent COE price is $32k)

• I ask why it is different from their sgcarmart listing, which is listed as "Immediate COE registration" package.  Salesman claims that "Immediate COE registration" means that once the COE is obtained, the car can be registered immediately. 

I don't think this is the meaning elsewhere.  To me, "Immediate COE registration" means the dealer should have available CAT E COE which can be used immediately for registration at this package price.

Such a waste of time and parking fee.  I'm not doing business with this kind of company, and next time someone refuses to share package details, I'll invite them to discuss at my place instead.

• Praise 10

Autopoint Automobile at Ubi / Vertex seems to be generally recommended here, and is also Casetrust/SVTA member, so I made them one of the first PI to check with, but found them to be misleading, and deceptive in advertising.

Got contact of the saleslady from FB and asked for details of the package price listed on sgcarmart. Refuses to share the details, and invites me to go down to discuss. Uhh, why so secretive? So I went down. Turns out that

• Salesman shares that the package price is based on 4-bid guaranteed at 29k COE. I thought that means COE rebate level at 29k, but asked to be sure... He says it is 4 bids at $29k, and if $29k is not enough on the 4th bid, I can top-up the difference, so that is why it is "guaranteed". If I don't wish to top-up, my deposit would be refunded. (most recent COE price is $32k)
  • I ask why it is different from their sgcarmart listing, which is listed as "Immediate COE registration" package. Salesman claims that "Immediate COE registration" means that once the COE is obtained, the car can be registered immediately.
I don't think this is the meaning elsewhere. To me, "Immediate COE registration" means the dealer should have available CAT E COE which can be used immediately for registration at this package price.

Such a waste of time and parking fee. I'm not doing business with this kind of company, and next time someone refuses to share package details, I'll invite them to discuss at my place instead.

well done..

either they are genuinely ignorant or with hidden agenda I would stay away. my opinion only.

Edited by Kopites

Got contact of the saleslady from FB and asked for details of the package price listed on sgcarmart.  Refuses to share the details, and invites me to go down to discuss. Uhh, why so secretive?  So I went down.  Turns out that

• Salesman shares that the package price is based on 4-bid guaranteed at 29k COE.  I thought that means COE rebate level at 29k, but asked to be sure...  He says it is 4 bids at $29k, and if $29k is not enough on the 4th bid, I can top-up the difference, so that is why it is "guaranteed". If I don't wish to top-up, my deposit would be refunded.  (most recent COE price is $32k)

• I ask why it is different from their sgcarmart listing, which is listed as "Immediate COE registration" package.  Salesman claims that "Immediate COE registration" means that once the COE is obtained, the car can be registered immediately. 

I don't think this is the meaning elsewhere.  To me, "Immediate COE registration" means the dealer should have available CAT E COE which can be used immediately for registration at this package price.

Such a waste of time and parking fee.  I'm not doing business with this kind of company, and next time someone refuses to share package details, I'll invite them to discuss at my place instead.

Agreed.

• Praise 1

Got contact of the saleslady from FB and asked for details of the package price listed on sgcarmart. Refuses to share the details, and invites me to go down to discuss. Uhh, why so secretive? So I went down. Turns out that

• Salesman shares that the package price is based on 4-bid guaranteed at 29k COE. I thought that means COE rebate level at 29k, but asked to be sure... He says it is 4 bids at $29k, and if $29k is not enough on the 4th bid, I can top-up the difference, so that is why it is "guaranteed". If I don't wish to top-up, my deposit would be refunded. (most recent COE price is $32k)
  • I ask why it is different from their sgcarmart listing, which is listed as "Immediate COE registration" package. Salesman claims that "Immediate COE registration" means that once the COE is obtained, the car can be registered immediately.

I don't think this is the meaning elsewhere. To me, "Immediate COE registration" means the dealer should have available CAT E COE which can be used immediately for registration at this package price.

Such a waste of time and parking fee. I'm not doing business with this kind of company, and next time someone refuses to share package details, I'll invite them to discuss at my place instead.

Didn’t know so bad.

@othello

hmmmm, sorry that you had a bad experience there. Do you mind PM-ing me the name of the staff that attended to you ?? 

Despite my good experience with a reputable PI, my confidence with PIs are getting worse by the day.

Really pattern more than badminton. Next time claim warranty maybe will ask you to pay the charges in full - you can claim, but never state that you do not need to pay. Then once outside warranty period, not their problem any more don't come look for them haha.

Thanks for sharing your experience.  I agree that the phrasing is quite subjective and meant to entice enquiries.  Looking at sgCarMart PI listing and from my own experience, it could be a common practice for the PI to set an attractive price based on a low COE and subsequently ask for COE top-up if the COE does not hit the "rebate" level.

Edited by awhtc

Thanks for sharing your experience.  I agree that the phrasing is quite subjective and meant to entice enquiries.  Looking at sgCarMart PI listing and from my own experience, it could be a common practice for the PI to set an attractive price based on a low COE and subsequently ask for COE top-up if the COE does not hit the "rebate" level.

I don't think that the phrasing is subjective...  We all have the same expectation and understanding of "Immediate COE registration", "X bid guaranteed with no top-up" and "X bid non-guaranteed" right?  If we allow dealers to keep changing the meaning, other dealers will also feel pressured to follow this practice else they will not get queries.  And in the end, the pricing scheme information becomes polluted and the price list will be useless.

I do agree that that this practice has not become an exception... which is unfortunate.  But what really really irked me was that when I enquired, they refused to give details and asked me to go down.  Those that gave details over whatsapp... I didn't bother to write complaint because only wasted a few minutes, rather than wasting an hour + parking fees.  Sigh.  

I don't think that the phrasing is subjective...  We all have the same expectation and understanding of "Immediate COE registration", "X bid guaranteed with no top-up" and "X bid non-guaranteed" right?  If we allow dealers to keep changing the meaning, other dealers will also feel pressured to follow this practice else they will not get queries.  And in the end, the pricing scheme information becomes polluted and the price list will be useless.

I do agree that that this practice has not become an exception... which is unfortunate.  But what really really irked me was that when I enquired, they refused to give details and asked me to go down.  Those that gave details over whatsapp... I didn't bother to write complaint because only wasted a few minutes, rather than wasting an hour + parking fees.  Sigh.  

Sometimes "X bid guaranteed with no top-up" can also literally mean the number of bids the PI actually submits in the COE system.  If the COE bidding trend is not favourable, the PI can delay indefinitely (until the buyer gives up) and yet it may not count as a bid as technically since the PI has not bid.  This is pointed out to me by my PI what some other PIs did.  All I say is in a very competitive market, salespeople can be very creative.

Just want to share my experience on getting a Toyota Camry from Straits Euro Auto - generally very good. Car was already in the showroom and even allowed me to test drive a bit. Successfully bid COE in the second bid and got the car within a week after bidding.

Care to share your camry pic?
  • Praise 1

Sometimes "X bid guaranteed with no top-up" can also literally mean the number of bids the PI actually submits in the COE system.  If the COE bidding trend is not favourable, the PI can delay indefinitely (until the buyer gives up) and yet it may not count as a bid as technically since the PI has not bid.  This is pointed out to me by my PI what some other PIs did.  All I say is in a very competitive market, salespeople can be very creative.

Wah.  That's pretty creative.

But I'm guessing that the small claims court will not agree that is a reasonable man's interpretation (barring a technical glitch like the Maybank issue on the 1st bidding of July)

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

You should avoid Carzworld because once you confirm your deal... They said they will have to check of there is stock...bad experience... You might never know what come next

↡ Advertisement