• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
50 replies to this topic | 0 praises

Posted 07 September 2003 - 06:23 PM

Madarmour
  • Madarmour
    Turbocharged
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Anyone of you familiar with car roof racks? I've only heard of Thule. I'm thinking of getting a roof rack system to carry a bike. Any suggestions will be welcomed, especially more competitively priced than Thule..... Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• acc-thule-511a.gif
  • acc-thule-750a.gif

Henry Ford once said: “Whenever I see an Alfa Romeo, I raise my hat?

Posted 07 September 2003 - 10:37 PM

Madarmour
  • Madarmour
    Turbocharged
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Anyone? sweatdrop.gif

How about Yakima?

Posted 07 September 2003 - 10:48 PM

Etnt
  • Premium member
    Etnt
    6th Gear
    Author Image

I am using the Thule roof rack on my focus, and compared to the generic-fit-all racks, I have to say that you really pay for what you get.

The basic rack without the bike rails will run you up to about S$400. And depending on your choice of rails, and how many bikes you intend to mount, total startup cost should be around S$700 to S$1000.

Once pro-rv has done the basic adjustment and fitting for your car; taking it off and putting it back is a breeze, should not take you more than 5 min, and the rubber footing prevents scratches to your roof even if you regular remove it.

I would recommend using the roof rack for long distance trips, eg. going up to m'sia or when you want a peace of mind after your ride, when you park at a carpark and take a bite. Otherwise for local rides, a rear rack would suffice.

Posted 08 September 2003 - 12:58 AM

Lester
  • Lester
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Maybe you can check from http://www.pro-rv.co...rryinggear1.htm

They used to have another brand from Japan, it's Aerorack. Call to check prices. Look for Khiang. Say it's from me.
Regards

Lester

I love my Monstero 12/2003 - Present

[url "http://www.flickr.com/photos/44636366@N00/sets/"]See Monstero here[/url]

Posted 08 September 2003 - 11:31 AM

Soya
  • Soya
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

U can oso checkout ROLA roof racks from Oz. www.rola.com.au

Posted 08 September 2003 - 10:29 PM

Madarmour
  • Madarmour
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

>>and compared to the generic-fit-all racks, I have to say that you really pay for what you get.

The question is......is there an option at all? sweatdrop.gif

Thanks for your reply! thumbsup.gif I guess Thule is the gold standard in car racks! In my case, it's for local use but installing Thule gives me an option to go for one of their roof boxes which will enable me to bring back half of Malaysia! sly.gif wink.gif

Posted 08 September 2003 - 10:31 PM

Madarmour
  • Madarmour
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Thanks bro! will be making a trip to Pro-rv soon to check things out.

Posted 08 September 2003 - 10:47 PM

Etnt
  • Premium member
    Etnt
    6th Gear
    Author Image

If you are going for the aero bars, get an additional rubber strip from them if possible. This will help you *remember* the placement of your bike rails and carrier box as you switch between them.

Posted 08 September 2003 - 10:48 PM

Madarmour
  • Madarmour
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Thanks for the link. thumbsup.gif However, I don't think there's a local dealer.

Posted 08 September 2003 - 10:58 PM

Madarmour
  • Madarmour
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Thanks for the tip! thumbsup.gif And I think aerobars is the way to go. The square ones look plain ugly. thumbsdown.gif

Posted 08 September 2003 - 11:02 PM

Lester
  • Lester
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Beware his knife is sharp at times on certain items. Test water then proceed on to Lian Siong to compare as they do have Thule too. I think ProRV Thule came from there.
Regards

Lester

I love my Monstero 12/2003 - Present

[url "http://www.flickr.com/photos/44636366@N00/sets/"]See Monstero here[/url]

Posted 09 September 2003 - 09:07 AM

Madarmour
  • Madarmour
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Er....where is Lian Siong? Don't worry lah. The Thule prices are pasted all over his website so I guess his knife cannot be any sharper than this. It's still very very sharp! sweatdrop.gif

http://www.pro-rv.com.sg/index.htm

Posted 03 July 2004 - 02:33 PM

Cool_jazz
  • Cool_jazz
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Have you bought the roof rack yet?
My bikes (on their racks at home) have become art pieces for the past 2 years sweatdrop.gif laugh.gif shakehead.gif .... now time to loose some weight so thinking of getting a bike rack for the car myself. wink.gif

Edited by Cool_jazz, 03 July 2004 - 02:40 PM.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character,
give him power" - Abraham Lincoln

Posted 03 July 2004 - 03:31 PM

Madarmour
  • Madarmour
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Nope, has decided against roof racks. Staying put with rear racks.

Edited by Mikeckchong, 03 July 2004 - 03:31 PM.

Posted 03 July 2004 - 03:39 PM

Cool_jazz
  • Cool_jazz
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Why? May I ask?
Roof rack looks more garang.... besides I am afraid that the rear rack will damage the boot and the rear bumper.

If I get the roof rack, I will go for Thule but if rear rack I will get this...
http://www.graberpro...ucts/bones2.htm

Will post a pciture of my bike scrupture as soon as I charged my digicam....

Posted 03 July 2004 - 03:44 PM

Madarmour
  • Madarmour
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Ppl who has the rack told me about the chore of installing and removing the rack. shakehead.gif There's also significant turbulence even without bikes attached. thumbsdown.gif

Posted 03 July 2004 - 03:47 PM

Cool_jazz
  • Cool_jazz
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Yeah heard that roof rack is bad... very bad for FC.
Turbulence..... hhmmmm even rear racks will have that wah.

Posted 03 July 2004 - 03:49 PM

Cool_jazz
  • Cool_jazz
    6th Gear
    Author Image

any damage to boot and rear bumper thus far? sweatdrop.gif sweatdrop.gif

Posted 03 July 2004 - 04:03 PM

Cool_jazz
  • Cool_jazz
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Here is a pic of the art scrupture in my house that needs to be used!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• on rack.JPG

Posted 03 July 2004 - 05:38 PM

Madarmour
  • Madarmour
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

When you install roof racks, you loath to take it off later. IMO, rear racks is for ferrying bikes to nearby park, that's all. Removing rear racks is easy...

Back to General Car Discussion  ·  Cars Top Reply to this topic
SgCarMart Quotz

Quick Reply

Tags: Thule, other, options

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users