Hyundai Sante Fe

Owen_fan

Hyundai pricing like big yoyo, last bid drop by 10K in price, now the price went up by 12K.

Those botherline Cat A vs Cat B buyers will flock back to Cat A next bid... and maybe the price will drop by 15K?

hahah

↡ Advertisement

Test drove the Sorento 2.2 crdi 2wd, followed by SF 2.4GDi 4WD and finished off with SF 2.2 CRDi 2wd. This is a comparative review. Common features that both SF and Sorento have I try not to mention.

Equipment:

Pros:-

- large HU. (Sorento's too small especially when the rear view camera and park assist depends on it, with you having to watch the rear while modulating the brakes)

- blind spot detection (absent on Sorento)

- hill descend mode (absent on Sorento)

- auto hold mode for traffic light situation (need to confirm if Sorrento comes with it too)

- B pillar air vents instead of the central air vents in Sorrento. To me it makes more sense since the middle row centre occupants already can get the cool are blown from the centre console. So vents at the sides just augments the side air flow better.

- ciggy power sockets in 2nd row and boot area too. More versatile especially when you want to have a say portable drink cooler in the boot for long trips.

- side step included (at least there is option to remove if you really don't like it)

- should comes with tonneau cover (need to verify) (sorento's is a $750 option)

- full sized spare tyres with exact same rim as the other 4 running wheels. (Sorento just have a repair kit, I don't even see a car jack)

Very useful if you are going up North. With a full sized spare, you can swap it out and be up and running to Continue you planned trip in 30min flat. Whether when, you want to change or repair the flat tyre you have full control.

Cons:-

- locally fitted HU, not a reall big issue since it is integrated with the rear view camera and still has the yellow and red parking lines assist feature. Plus it is compatible with the automated parking assist function.

- locally fitted leather but to be really frank, the quality of the leather and workmanship is not discernable from Sorento's factory fitted ones.

- no rear perforated retractable sun shade. (Sorento comes standard)

-

Edited by Vratenza

Test drove the Sorento 2.2 crdi 2wd, followed by SF 2.4GDi 4WD and finished off with SF 2.2 CRDi 2wd. This is a comparative review. Common features that both SF and Sorento have I try not to mention.

Equipment:

Pros:-

- large HU. (Sorento's too small especially when the rear view camera and park assist depends on it, with you having to watch the rear while modulating the brakes)

- blind spot detection (absent on Sorento)

- hill descend mode (absent on Sorento)

- auto hold mode for traffic light situation (need to confirm if Sorrento comes with it too)

- B pillar air vents instead of the central air vents in Sorrento. To me it makes more sense since the middle row centre occupants already can get the cool are blown from the centre console. So vents at the sides just augments the side air flow better.

- ciggy power sockets in 2nd row and boot area too. More versatile especially when you want to have a say portable drink cooler in the boot for long trips.

- side step included (at least there is option to remove if you really don't like it)

- should comes with tonneau cover (need to verify) (sorento's is a $750 option)

- full sized spare tyres with exact same rim as the other 4 running wheels. (Sorento just have a repair kit, I don't even see a car jack)

Very useful if you are going up North. With a full sized spare, you can swap it out and be up and running to Continue you planned trip in 30min flat. Whether when, you want to change or repair the flat tyre you have full control. With tyre repair kit, you have to find the nearest tyre shop to change the tyre ASAP because a repaired tyre cannot last long. And you lose the option of patching the flat tyre. Must change to a new set.

- 4WD standard which I feel for such a large car with high torque, it is a must have. 2.4 petrol with almost half the torque should be able to get by with 2WD but it comes with 4WD, nice.

- Single trim level which I like. Hate being confused with all rhe different trim options, also when comes to resale, all different trim levels pricing gets too narrow despite the big difference when bought new.

- I like the full leather wrapped steering wheel. (Sorento's have top section made of smooth wood-alike solid material, not much grip)

Cons:-

- locally fitted HU, not a reall big issue since it is integrated with the rear view camera and still has the yellow and red parking lines assist feature. Plus it is compatible with the automated parking assist function.

- locally fitted leather but to be really frank, the quality of the leather and workmanship is not discernable from Sorento's factory fitted ones.

- no rear perforated retractable sun shade. (Sorento comes standard)

- no thigh support adjustment for the frint seats. (Sorento has electrical adjustments for that)

- last row seating and boot space less than Sorento due to shorter wheel base.

Drive:

Both Sorento and SF are big heavy cars no doubt about it, heft and roll is expected for both. SF feels more agile of the 2. If the Sorento is indented with 4WD, it will add substantial weight to the same engine specs, so, i expect that version to feel even more sluggish.

SF turning radius is just a bit smaller than Sorento.

Both of them comes with start stop which is on by default which I find irritating.

Diesel clatter and acceleration sound is pretty muted compared to my aging 2.0lpt saab.

Edited by Vratenza

I love the turbo diesel of sorento but alas, it's rather ex.

Choose SF/turbo and the saving cannot be ignored.

Edited by Hamburger

Santa Fe is quite muscular looking...  But the third row to get in and out, u need to be quite nimble.  

Yes agree! Most 5+2 SUVs in the market have that problem too.

Most will agree that the last row is meant for children 10yrs or younger or really short adults less than 1.5m

I guess the assumption is that if you are a 10 yr old kid, you must be pretty nimble too. [;)]

If ferrying office colleagues for lunch, well, let's just say that they did not contribute to our downpayment towards a stretched limo.

Edited by Vratenza

hi guys any other 7 seaters SUV to recommend?

had tried the x-trail but couldn't get used to the CVT gearbox and its under powered too...

further can anyone share the perks or discount that komoco is giving..thks

had tried the x-trail but couldn't get used to the CVT gearbox and its under powered too...

Try Kia Sorento.

Komoco not much perks. Only thing is that the list price is without much discounts in built. Meaning you do not need to get in house insurance or loan. No penalty if you choose your own. But also means you don't expect any discounts if you choose to use their in house insurance/loan.

I would think that the Mitsubishi Outlander with the revised gearbox is a good option.

I read somewhere and it mentioned that the wing mirror cannot be folded electronically...that is rather tough for such a big vehicle n tight parking lot in sg...further the interior look rather outdated too...might have to wait for the COE to drop and hope for a $15k drop :) 

For those interested in the equipment list correct as if 16 Feb 2016.

lowest the diesel CRDi model hit in recent time is 140,999 during the 38K Cat B.

Waiting for <130,000 to commit.

post-24957-0-98758300-1457341355_thumb.jpg

(edited)

I was at Komoco over the weekend to have a look at the Santa Fe as possibly my next vehicle to ferry my family members and helper

My assigned SE was so-so, probably because Komoco was focusing their resources on the newly launched Elantra.  Luckily I did my own research on MCF and Youtube, else there will only be silence as I reviewed the vehicle

Got a chance to test drive the 2.2 diesel variant as the SE indicated that the petrol version was not available

Engine noise was surprisingly quiet for a diesel car, and the pick-up was relatively smooth.  The gears switched quite quickly once the rev hit around 2k.

Found the driver's seat quite comfortable as did the rest of my family members in the passenger seat.

The third row is relatively hard to get in initially and definitely not recommended for anyone who is 1.7m and taller.  I'm 1.73m and my head was already touching the rooftop.

The vehicle comes with a decent size touch-screen that has connectivity with Ipod.  Don't think there is CarPlay installed.

Reverse camera was quite good, but I did not get the chance to test if the front sensors are working.

All in, I think the Santa Fe is a sporty family car and a good transition for those who have been driving a sleeker sedan.

Only gripe I have is the pricing. 

Are there anyone here who have bought the Santa Fe? Greatly appreciate any feedback on the drive and reliability

Cheers

Edited by Alpine6

I read somewhere and it mentioned that the wing mirror cannot be folded electronically...that is rather tough for such a big vehicle n tight parking lot in sg...further the interior look rather outdated too...might have to wait for the COE to drop and hope for a $15k drop :) 

SF have autofold mirror.

If can wait, prices should come down nicely in a few bids time.

SF is rare on the road, managed to see 2 over the last 2 months and one of them is a petrol S***CD plate.

hows the trade in price for komoco?

never checked. Already decided to sell my own if their trade in price is lower than average market quote.

Only gripe I have is the pricing. 

Are there anyone here who have bought the Santa Fe? Greatly appreciate any feedback on the drive and reliability

Cheers

Wait till you see Sorento, even harder to swallow.

But currently these 2 cars are in the same bracket, except SF with a better price.

↡ Advertisement