Need to replace clutch???

Superseven

Hi bro,

For our car, my mech charges $250 including labour.

If you're interested in a recon-Jap import Gearbox, that's $250 as well (some other places quoted $400+).

cheers

Neutral Newbie

I notice ram car until rpm 3K at each gear change but car still slowly picking up. Pick up slower than container truck until kena high beam so went to workshop just now and after testing my clutch and engage fwd and back says clutch wear out and quoted $460 for parts, oil and labour done in 1 day.

Saw the price quoted and though I had a [knife] deal so can any one provide contacts or lobangs. Prefer west area if possible. BTW, I'm driving a 91 nissan presea

Neutral Newbie

Far too expensive. $300 would be a reasonable benchmark, perhaps some bros can recommend you mechs in the West.

It sounds about right for a clutch replacement. The gearbox oil has to be drained, a new clutch installed, and the flywheel has to be machined to engage with the new clutch friction plate nicely. Then the gearbox needs to be filled with new gear oil.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Should include clutch disc + pressure plate + release bearing. $300-$350 should cover this including labour + oil (excluding flywheel grinding).

Edited by Decibel

You're right, I should have specified it was a clutch kit. Price would vary quite a bit buying originals or OEM.

You can save some money locating a Nissan stockist, buying the required parts, and bringing it to a mechanic of your choice for labour cost only.

Neutral Newbie

Is flywheel grinding required? I think the quote should include the whole works since my car was not open out or anything for checks so I assume they would provide a quote to cover everything.

The next concern is whether workshop will start saying actually this and that also related after repair commence and then more cost incurred as I just drove to the nearest workshop in my area (Pioneer Rd) to save the trouble of enduring driving to eunos which is what I see one of the bro here recommended.

It is of course possible that other items could be damaged,such as the gear selector prong (or something else). With each new clutch kit, it is necessary to "refresh" the flywheel, as it would have been worn in to fit the old clutch.

Neutral Newbie

Hey bro, you can give my mech a call for a quote, hes very experienced and charges reasonably too. I service and do all major work with him, mine is a jap COE car too. Workshop is in AMK though but you can just call for a price comparison.

6451-4933 (Jefrrey) [;)]

Neutral Newbie

I don't believe grinding the flywheel is an absolute necessity bro, would be good to do I guess if he plans to drive the car for much longer. It isn't really cheap [;)]

It isn't an absolute necessity, but it is recommended.

The old clutch friction plate wears grooves into the flywheel.

Clutch breaks.

If you don't not re-face the flywheel, it will retain its old grooves and will begin cutting into the friction material of the new clutch.

Given that the new clutch friction plate is technically new and flat, the flywheel should be re-faced to allow both items to wear in gradually and naturally.

But you're right, with a COE car, it may not be worth the trouble since it is likely to run out of COE in another 4 years.

You have the option to do it right and drive with no fear of a clutch failure, or hope that it all hangs together till you send it to the scrapyard.

↡ Advertisement