Mineral or synthetic oil?

Owen_fan

My ride will be due for 20,000km servicing soon. My 1st 3 servicing are provided free by MM usuing mineral oil (Shell Helix super). My qtn is, should I use Shell Helix Ultra for my next servicing, or can I just use back the normal mineral oil if I intented to change my engine oil every 5000km (as I think no point paying $100+ for synthetic, as mineral oil cost around $60). Any advise, Thanks!

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

if MM allows you to use your own oil, might as well buy from outside which is cheaper?

cxxxxxe and Royal Purple which are syn oil are cost at probably between $35 - $50..thumbsup.gif

Think was discussed last week, do a search in the forum..

There is a lot of cheap syn oil around. Giant is selling cxxxxxe Triple R 5W40 for 35.90 and comes with 1L W&W shampoo. Then there is RP which is value for money for a fully syn oil compared to the severely hyrocracked VHVI process SHU. The last statement means that SHU is not considered a fully syn oil.

(edited)

All the oil big players really prey on the gullibility of unsuspecting car owners. [thumbsdown]

SHU a syn oil? It is considered syn oil because Castrol of all people won the right to call the process that makes Group III engine oil a synthetic process! [shakehead] Then charge an arm and a leg for them because marketing dictates it is a syn oil while technically it is not.

Edited by Genie47

wah.. now got 3 choice oreadi

1. mobil 1 gold 0W-40

2. honda vtec 5W-40

3. cxxxxxe triple r 5W-40

wah confuse liao! [dizzy]

so, am I right to say that it is advisable to use synthetic oil than normal mineral oil for 20,000km servicing even I change it every 5000km. [:)]

From the flash point. Gives a clue how synthetic it is. Higher flash point engine oils are usually syn oil. That is why syn oil stays in the engine. Keep checking the dipstick and the oil is still there. Dino oil just burns away! RP has pretty good flashpoint. But I dunno about cxxxxxe. It is 5L and I plan to send some of the 1L for VOA and 10k later do the UOA on it. Must investigate its properties. [sly]

(edited)

If you change every 5k, it is a waste of oil that is practically still good. Change over to syn oil and set the OCI to 10k.

Edited by Genie47

Neutral Newbie

"If you change every 5k, it is a waste of oil that is practically still good. Change over to syn oil and set the OCI to 10k."

even for 30wt oil like RP?

Get the cheapest one lah! M1 freaking expensive but their additive package is the best in the industry. Honda VTECLEV oil is basically Idemitsu.