Audi A6 launch

Tanzy

I went to Premium Auto at Leng Kee to have a look at the new Audi A6 3.0 quattro. It looks to me a promising car. The interior is very well built and looks classy without too much fuss but not overly clean like the 530i. The ride is well damped but tuned for a sporty feel. I think the electronic parking brake and flappy pedal gears are gimmicks. This is a car good enough to sell itself without nonsense. The MMI looks more intuitive than the i-Drive in the 5 series but response seems retarded. Having test driven it's competitors, the E320 and 530i, I must say the A6 I drove today is the best pick of the class. Handling isn't up to par with the BMW but far better than the Benz.

Looks will probably divide since I am not too sure all will warm to the gaping front grills but the rest of the car looks well sorted. Lines connect and flow cleanly giving a taut looks unlike the flabby E-class.

But the question that needs to be answered is why bring in the 3.0L engine and not the clean, efficient and powerful 3.2L FSI block?

S$245,000 will get you this car. Don't be fooled by the show room models and test car which come with 18" rims. The standard spec vehicle will be on tiny 16" rims.

E320 and 530i owners please go test drive the new A6 quattro so you can regret buying your car.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Great review... thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

...now, if only can get the elegant exterior of the Merc, the quality interior of the Audi, and the dynamics of the BMW - all in one car!!! gossip.gif

The M5 has less style.

At $245K, the Audi A6 is also the most expensive in its class. It does not come with reverse sensors as standard. For comparison, at the same price or less (discounts), the 530i has 18" rims, PDC, comfort seats, xenons and other things you will expect from a mid size luxo euro can.

Ultimately, the Audi A6 is a well sorted and overall very good car but it is not something I would buy. BMW 530i remains best value for money.

Edited by Tanzy

Neutral Newbie

You reckon ? I always thought style is nothing without comfort, but if theres comfort then there goes performance, if performance handling isn't there then no point in getting such a car ?

Isn't the M5 the same category as the A6 ? How come 530 is taken reference instead ? 530 is your typical 520 but its got this extra bit of power.

I'm infected with BMW bug just like the others ... [:/]

Edited by BMW320i

There can always be some form of compromise. The Quattroporte gives you all, perhaps with a little less in leg room.

The M5 will be compared with the S6 or RS6. A6 is just a normal saloon car. 0-100km/h in 7.9 seconds for the 3.0L engine. 530i in 7.1 seconds and the E320 an eternity.

Edited by Tanzy

Dude! It's a 4.2L supercar with 400bhp. The Benz S430 with a miserly 280bhp is $380K.

Is it cooler to say you drive a Maserati Quattroporte or Mercedes Benz S430?

Edited by Tanzy

OK OK. Got to make it clear for all.

Audi A6 3.0L Quattro is $245K (launch price)

Maserati Quattroporte is $400K

Mercedes Benz S430 is $380K

BMW 530i is $245K

Mercedes Benz E320 Elegance is $244K

Yes. Which is why Audi has always been the cheapest of the 3 Teutonic brands but with the A6 they have positioned itself at the top of the price range.