To Engine Wash or Not?

Jaason

Neutral Newbie

Engine Wash => applying some chemical and washing it away with water spray + drying it with air gun.

It is advisable to have engine wash?

If Yes, how regularly? And what to lookout for?

If No, why not? What damage do you think it will have done?

Your views please.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

I wash my engine weekly... To me an engine wash => hose down, soap, hose down, wipe dry. All these should only be done when the engine is not too hot. [sweatdrop]

Stay away from the battery terminal. The rest of the electricals should be well insulated. [:)]

Neutral Newbie

wash only when you think it's too greasy and dirty.

I had mine washed in May this year. Still clean and dust free up to now.

If need be, perhaps once a year is good enuf, but then again, it's only a guide. even the car manual does not mention anything about engine washing.

Depending on the age of your car, it's wise to keep some electrical compartments dry while washing the engine. eg Distributor, plug caps etc etc...

If you intend to use chemicals, just make sure you wash it in an airy environment.

Engine bay washing is part and parcel of preventive maintenance program. Know where you are spraying the water - chemical wash and low pressure water jets is most idea. After washing use high volume compressed air to blow dry and then send your ride for a sunbath in the carpark.

Neutral Newbie
[sweatdrop] not a good idea to wash often... cos it will also wash away all grease and lubricate which are meant to be there ... alway re grease all moving parts after wash.. just my experiences [sly][thumbsup]

Hardly you can find any grease point in today's car.All moivng parts are greased and packed for life.

↡ Advertisement