Punctured tyre repair

Hatchet

anyway the worm is for smaller holes. they just put some glue and then push the worm into the hole to seal it up. I would say a 99.9% fix. less than 10mins, about $7. this can even DIY if you are on a long ride and might not come across any shops, just get a pump and a set of the tools.

but the internal patch is whereby they open up the tire and then paste the rubber patch onto the hole from the inside of the tire. this is a 100% seal as the air pressure will push the patch against the hole from the inside making it airtight ! about 20 mins, around $15.

no patch is 100% even inner patch, many years back, i got 1 big hole, they use a patch almost as big as my palm also cannot.

and i believe 15 buks appy for normal tyres only.

if u bring for example a 19' low profile rft, i doubt they charge the same.

↡ Advertisement

Question is, are you averse to risk and only insist on 100% tyre patch or happy enough with 99% tyre patch ?

Even, if you have a perfect 100% patch, that doesn't mean you won't pick up another nail or screw, without knowing; and it start all over again.

The most important thing to do, is to check your tyre pressure frequently before you start your drive. Do you ?

Edited by Kb27

I patched my own tyres using the worm quite many times.

They all last until the tyre is changed out.

However, this kind of patch is considered temporary.

You're supposed to get it fixed permanently at a tyre workshop, although I wondered how, esp, when most of them just use the same worm patched.

You described the situation very accurately.

I also repaired tyre myself with the worm patch and they last till I changed tyres.

Because when I go to the tyre shop, they also used the same method!

I think probably 8 out 10 shops. Only one I know who doesn’t is South East Tyre.

Twincharged

no patch is 100% even inner patch, many years back, i got 1 big hole, they use a patch almost as big as my palm also cannot.

and i believe 15 buks appy for normal tyres only.

if u bring for example a 19' low profile rft, i doubt they charge the same.

this one is dunno ... I was using 195/55/15 ...

kenah puncture on a Sat afternoon ... didn't know until abt 6pm + ... pumped it up with my foot pump and drove around my area looking for a tire repair shop but all closed liow ... so next morning pumped it up again and then just drove around and found a shop in simpang bedok open and just went in.

I though he was going to do worm type but then he took out the wheel and removed the tire and then "sanded" the hole from the inside of the tire before pasting the patch over the hole.

I also never done internal patching and that was my first time too.

IHowever, this kind of patch is considered temporary.

You're supposed to get it fixed permanently at a tyre workshop, although I wondered how, esp, when most of them just use the same worm patched.

well, now that I which shop does the patching, i'll just go back there ... small difference to pay for safety ... and also can grab a towhuay whilst waiting.

It's your safety and your life. I think my life worth more than a few more bucks. I always insisted on internal patching no matter what tyre shop say.. If they don't wanna do, I can always hop to another shop.

Edited by Optramagnum

I patched my own tyres using the worm quite many times.

They all last until the tyre is changed out.

However, this kind of patch is considered temporary.

Havve been patching my tyres using the worm since donkey keys ago. Yes they all last until when the tyres are worn and still held up the air pressure well.

Done the patch for family and friends as it is such a simple and quick repair.

We used to travel on the NSHW for leisure and work frequently.

Howevrr i dont skimp on tyres/brakes etc, only used the top of the range tyres.

For the first few days/weeks after patching, do monitor your tyre pressure diligently. After that, you are good to go.

Honestly you wont wish to know the speed i have reached with patched tyres.

I am truly surprised how the worm repair method could even held up the heat cycles on the track and lasted the entire lifetime of the tyre.

Of course, results may vary depending on the size of hole. thats why you have to becareful and monitor during the first few days.

Of course, safety is never enough.

Pump your tyre regularly and visually inspect the side walls.

Physically check the tyre thread depth and look out for any irregular wears. (symptons of alignment/suspension/pressure issues etc)

I change out of my tyres in 2 years or 40k whichever is earlier. Check the manufacture date of your new tyres before installing.

Do tyre rotation every car servicing.

(edited)

I've been getting internal 'mushroom' patch-plug repairs onto my tyre over the years for S$25 a job at a place at Sin Ming Autocare level 1 for the past few years. Anything lesser than that is really cheap, but ask them to rebalance your tyre again afterwards -they tend to skip it. It will not be fitted at the same angle it was previously balanced at, unless you draw some alignment marks on the rim and tyre and tell the worker to reassemble them with the marks lined up again.

Mushroom patch picture:

https://goo.gl/images/m66K2e

Personally I keep a Viair 85P air pump (bought thru Amazon) and some 'gummy string' repair plugs and they've served me well. I can use this combo in a parking lot to plug a puncture slightly longer than changing a spare tyre.

Statistically I get a punctured tyre every 10000 km.

Edited by Cjtune

Twincharged

I've been getting internal 'mushroom' patch-plug repairs onto my tyre over the years for S$25 a job at a place at Sin Ming Autocare level 1 for the past few years. Anything lesser than that is really cheap, but ask them to rebalance your tyre again afterwards -they tend to skip it. It will not be fitted at the same angle it was previously balanced at, unless you draw some alignment marks on the rim and tyre and tell the worker to reassemble them with the marks lined up again.

Mushroom patch picture:

https://goo.gl/images/m66K2e

Personally I keep a Viair 85P air pump (bought thru Amazon) and some 'gummy string' repair plugs and they've served me well. I can use this combo in a parking lot to plug a puncture slightly longer than changing a spare tyre.

Statistically I get a punctured tyre every 10000 km.

Same here. I also only do internal patches. Somehow they do not rebalance. I only use south east or hurry tires. South east marks the tire position on the rim to put it back exactly.

Have a viair pump too. Bought the one the connects to the battery terminals. Bloody good unit.

Same here. I also only do internal patches. Somehow they do not rebalance. I only use south east or hurry tires. South east marks the tire position on the rim to put it back exactly.

Have a viair pump too. Bought the one the connects to the battery terminals. Bloody good unit.

Yup. The Viair pump is really good. Zero to 220 kPa in about 3 minutes for a 196/65R15 tyre. Bought it after wasting 20 minutes of my life waiting for a $40 cheapo 'tyre air pump' struggling to inflate my flat tyre and with some burning smell coming out of it - it never finished the job.

Mushroom patches are relatively new to me. I started requesting for them after having kids. Just being extra safe. But in my experience for the last 18+ years driving, gummy string plugs do hold up well even past a year and on the NSHW. The only bad plug I got was because the hole was too close to the sidewall and the tyre shop guy did warn me about it beforehand - resulted in a slow leak. Gummy string plugs are also easy to DIY (see the YouTube videos) and a set is usual <$10 from most neighbourhood hardware shops.

Twincharged

Yup. The Viair pump is really good. Zero to 220 kPa in about 3 minutes for a 196/65R15 tyre. Bought it after wasting 20 minutes of my life waiting for a $40 cheapo 'tyre air pump' struggling to inflate my flat tyre and with some burning smell coming out of it - it never finished the job.

Mushroom patches are relatively new to me. I started requesting for them after having kids. Just being extra safe. But in my experience for the last 18+ years driving, gummy string plugs do hold up well even past a year and on the NSHW. The only bad plug I got was because the hole was too close to the sidewall and the tyre shop guy did warn me about it beforehand - resulted in a slow leak. Gummy string plugs are also easy to DIY (see the YouTube videos) and a set is usual <$10 from most neighbourhood hardware shops.

Used to diy gummy string plugs too. Relatively easy to even do it with the tire still mounted. But rather lazy these days. If the tpms detects a drop in pressure. I just pump it up and go to the tire shop to fix. Before I had the pump, once I risked it and drove to the shop. In the end the sidewall was damaged as there were rubber bits inside. So from then on decided to get a good pump and not be lazy to pump it up on the spot.

using marking line before and after is a Rare Professional in the Market.

these Peoples know what they are doing and do it for the Interest of Customer.

By mounting back the same marking line is help to cause wheel balance OUT (is minimal for the repair Patch )

So you do not require to Re-Balance your wheel after the repair [thumbsup]

Is Save money for Customer

Neutral Newbie

Hi friends,

My front tyre is flat... A Service provider insert the rubber worm but did not work... Maybe too big for the rubber worm.

I need to have a tyre patch instead of band aid... Any good recommendation for the tyre patch and balancing work near River Valley road? Appreciate your advice. Thanks.

Hi friends,

My front tyre is flat... A Service provider insert the rubber worm but did not work... Maybe too big for the rubber worm.

I need to have a tyre patch instead of band aid... Any good recommendation for the tyre patch and balancing work near River Valley road? Appreciate your advice. Thanks.

just google may help.

if still leak after the one insert can still try to do from inside . 

if had done 2 inserts one shot and leak , please disposed it.

If you want to Save the tire always do straight internal .

External insert sometime (sometime ) may enlarged to hole bigger or caused tearing if your tire is old and hardened.

Just MHO

Just found a screw in my rear tyre and had it repaired at a shop at jalan besar area. Done in under 5 mins and charged me 18 bucks. I was in a bit of a hurry at that time so I didn't ask or see what was done, but looking at it now I think most likely is the rubber worm? Haven't encountered the worm before as the last time I had a puncture the tyre was pretty much shredded.

Reading the past posts it looks like the worm is quite hardy and can last until next tyre replacement? In that case why would anyone use the emergency tyre repair kit? Having to replace the bottle of sealant already costs more than $18 (think some bros had patching done even cheaper) and also have to replace the tyre after just 200km.

↡ Advertisement