Engine Mounting

Sucker

Sorry, I beg to differ on changing only the damaged unit. The labor is commonly about the 20 - 25% of the part costs and also the downtime to bring the vehicle in for the repairs. When only the damaged unit is changed it would invariably put pressure on the rest of the remaining older units. All of these products have a product time-line for wear-and-tear. Always use OEM parts caused engine mounting is not easy to imitate in quality & the part receives tremendous pressure every day.

A good set of mountings may last for 120k to 150k kmh, time between 3 to 5 years depending of course on the way you drive the vehicle. The mountings that I mentioned here are the non hydraulic type.

Happy motoring! [wave]

It is really subjective and how you drive.

My mountings were gone before the third year mark and my mileage is only 60k plus then.

Got to look out for the symptoms.

↡ Advertisement

Kimkichin, mine is a 2005 model - SWIFT 1.5 AT. Basically, the problem started recently when I accelerate too suddenly, there will be a slight "thump" sound coming out from the engine area but no other issue when driving it. The workshop told me it's that problem with the engine mounting rubber & quoted me that price. What's the normal rate?

=================

U can buy the mounts from those spare part shops & get your mech to fix only or ask around from a few ws to see which is cheaper but I still prefer to buy the parts myself so I know that good quality parts r being used.

If it clunks when u accelerate, u better get it changed otherwise u might damage the transmission in the long run. Most jap cars cost $300-$400 for parts(all the mounts. Sud b 3 or 4 pcs per set) incl labour.

Normally it sud last about 3-4 years depending on your driving style.

It is really subjective and how you drive.

My mountings were gone before the third year mark and my mileage is only 60k plus then.

Got to look out for the symptoms.

=============

U like to pick up fast from traffic lights ah?

=============

U like to pick up fast from traffic lights ah?

Not just traffic lights but everywhere..... :D

I thrashed my car anywhere around.....

sounds weird to me, new cars why have to change engine mountings?

they are not "wear and tear" parts and should last for at least ten years.

anyway engine mount rubbers are cheap, but the labour is expensive, because they have to remove and lift your engine. the rubber supports the engine to the chassis. Not an easy job. Don't be naive think you can do it yourself.

anyway most modern cars do not need to change mounting unless you do special kind of driving, like rallying, off road, or if you had an accident. If they anyhow ask you to change, they are chopping you. Charge you for labour.

it will depends on how often you drive

mountings got rubber parts and its located inside the engine compartment

extreme high temp (when engine running and travelling) and cool temp (when the car is unused) will make the rubber parts of the mounting becomes harder

targeted duration (depends on alot of factors such as how often,how far u drive...etc) : about 1 year / 100,000km...

it really depends

once u feel ur ride vibrates during idling...

most likely ur mount is gone

i discover one pool of dried oil stains beneath the mounting on driver side, that is why i know my mounting is gone

plus when mechanic took out the old mounting, can see one 1 cm crack on the underside of the rubber, which explains why the oil leak

please do not mislead the forum, what you are talking about is not engine mounting, that is a engine oil plug gasket. that has to be changed every service. engine mounting does not cause oil leaks.

• Praise 1

i guess the mountings lose their effectiveness at isolating engine vibrations from the cabin over time? it may take 10 years to crack and fail completely (when ur engine jumps violently when you accelerate) but many people are sensitive to slight vibrations and may want the new car feeling by changing out the mounts.

Not just traffic lights but everywhere..... :D

I thrashed my car anywhere around.....

==============

Hahaha.

So u r 2f2f then? [sly]

Next time if u follow us on a Road Trip, I wil let u go 1st. [sweatdrop]

My car going to be 5 years by the end of this year. What is the sure sign that the mounting has worn off?? Yet to replace anything major except for clutch pump and also my suspension this year.

sounds weird to me, new cars why have to change engine mountings?

they are not "wear and tear" parts and should last for at least ten years.

anyway engine mount rubbers are cheap, but the labour is expensive, because they have to remove and lift your engine. the rubber supports the engine to the chassis. Not an easy job. Don't be naive think you can do it yourself.

anyway most modern cars do not need to change mounting unless you do special kind of driving, like rallying, off road, or if you had an accident. If they anyhow ask you to change, they are chopping you. Charge you for labour.

==============

Most cars I drove, the engine mountings lasted abt 4-5 years on average. Mine is slow & normal driving.

Actually u dont have to remove the whole engine to change the mounts. They can b undone & worked lose with the engine still in place. The new mounts can then b worked into place likewise.

But I do admit its not an easy task for the average motorist to do himself.

Labour charge is about $100 to change the mounts at most WS.

My car going to be 5 years by the end of this year. What is the sure sign that the mounting has worn off?? Yet to replace anything major except for clutch pump and also my suspension this year.

===============

When u stop at the traffic lights, do u notice your steering wheel vibrates? How about your gear stick?

How about when u start engine when cold. Any similar vibrations?

If 1 or both of these vibrates, yr mounts r starting to wear out.

5 years is about the average life of the mountings.

Edited by Pisces69

anyone knows where and how much to change toyota wish engine mounting? my car vibrate like bus now...

===============

Just go to your regular ws to get them changed.

Most ws can do it easily. U can buy the parts from stockist like Fong Tat who has original Toyota parts.

I suggest u ask where the mounts r made. I prefer those Japan made as the quality is very good. If made in China, I wud not buy it although its cheaper.

==============

Hahaha.

So u r 2f2f then? [sly]

Next time if u follow us on a Road Trip, I wil let u go 1st. [sweatdrop]

Thrashing does not mean speeding or cheonging...

I am a safe driver. Keep to road speed limit.

Road trip, for convoy, please don't let me be the 1st driver. You sure regret cos I am a brakester.....Don't believe? Ask Ah Sam....He was behind me before....After that, I kena smoked by him.... [sweatdrop]

==============

Most cars I drove, the engine mountings lasted abt 4-5 years on average. Mine is slow & normal driving.

Actually u dont have to remove the whole engine to change the mounts. They can b undone & worked lose with the engine still in place. The new mounts can then b worked into place likewise.

But I do admit its not an easy task for the average motorist to do himself.

Labour charge is about $100 to change the mounts at most WS.

Usually workshops would sell it as a package inclusive of labour charges.

Bro, before u say i mislead this forum. Please go to check out the mazda 2 sp engine mountings on the driver's side.

Do u know anything about the ride that i am driving?

i saw and witnessed not once, not twice but thrice...

two times on my ride and 1 time on my fren's ride...

How much are u going to bet with me that my ride engine mounting at driver side does contains oil?

Are you game enough to to test it out with me?

buy a new engine mounting for my ride, at driver side.

we cut the rubber,

if it leaks, u pay for the mounting,

if it does not leak (meaning does not contain oil), i pay for the mounting..

swee boh..?

COnsider carefully before u say that what i said is misleading...

it will definately be good if you could check lst...check carefully before u say i mislead pple...

Edited by Byond

Lidat.... mine already vibrate on year #1 (10K km) when I changed to stiffer and lower springs???

Cannot be right?

Think it also depnds on the type of mounts. If those very hard types (group N or something)...... got very bad vibration I heard.

If 1 or both of these vibrates, yr mounts r starting to wear out.

5 years is about the average life of the mountings.

best to buy OEM then ask ws to change for u...

its cheaper

got one guy driving a mz3sp..

got 3 of the oem mountings brand new at fong yat at approx 285$

then asked ws to change at 80$

still alot cheaper than the 460$ that i am paying...

↡ Advertisement