I just did DIY oil change

Genie47

SUCCESS! I got the damn filter removed. Spilled some oil that is already in the filter. Proceeded to top up with more Delo 400.

After some inspection, I found out that the filter was screwed on too tightly. Damn SA mechs. Must have used the filter tool to tighten it. I hand-tightened it. A good thing to note whether you have done it correctly seems to be the seria/part no. label. When hand tightened, the label was level and straight easy to read. The original filter that was on it is slanted up to 45 deg to the right!

Blasted idiots!

Come to think of it, with the right equipment, we can just setup a mom-and-pop mechanic store. Just get a hoist and people just have to come in with their car, filter and oil. We raise, drain, remove filter, replace filter, replace drain plug, fill with oil ask the fella or gorgeous.gif to pay $10 and give offer to buy a Fumoto valve to make it easier the next time. Like........QB House haircuts! idea.gif

I believe in the US they are called Jiffy Lube. As "in a jiffy" meaning fast and trouble-free. The thing is bring your own oil and filter. Can do production line man! Get a long driveway, with a hoist at the end. The cars just Q up to come in. Like toll station laugh.gif.

↡ Advertisement

No need space. Need tools only. Also depends on your car. Some cars need to jack up, some cars don't. SUVs should be the easiest but they use the most oil. Disposal will be a big headache.

Neutral Newbie

Congrats thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Chevy owners got discount if you set up the shop?tongue.gif

When can we join your "power of the darkside" training programme....???tongue.gif

Tools? Any hardware shop but the filter removal tool might be hard to find. The one I have is from Giant IMM. Cost me $5.20 only. Cheap, not that effective.

A cheaper one but more effective is the bicycle chain type. I'm trying to locate it. The expensive one the socket type that uses your square socket driver. Found in Autobaccs and can only get one size to fit as it is not adjustable.

I will list the stuff needed for a DIY oil change:

1 pair of cotton gloves, rubber nibbed for better grip - $2 (Daiso)

1 19mm hex or 3/4" socket wrench (Daiso), your car might use a different size. -$2

1 filter removal tool (actually can be called loosening tool), I'll try to find a good place that sells the cheap bicycle chain type.

1 plastic rectangular tupperware, 10L (anywhere you can get it cheap)

1 gasoline container tin (from any petrol station)

1 metal funnel (Ikea)

Optional

1 Jackstand for safety if you car needs to be jacked up. Cheap from Malaysia.

1 12V flourescent tube to be plugged into the ciggy socket or battery

1 Fumoto valve, to be installed for future oil changes. This is the most expensive item. It is nice to have if you want to do this more in the future. No more stripped threads, no need for bull strength to remove and no more leaks.

I will write a proper procedure later in the Maintenance section.

Neutral Newbie
I didn't use a jack or a lift. This car's drain plug is very easily accessible w/o the use of any lifting equipment. Also being a little thin helps. This will not be possible if lowering springs are installed.

Quite shock at first when you said no need jack the car then the being a little thin sentence came .laugh.gif

Cause i definately cant fit under without jacking up the car.laugh.gif

Well done bro!.thumbsup.gif

The Oil filters always cause of problem during oil changes either cant get it unsrewed or cant get the new ones to fit .sweatdrop.gif

(edited)

To be safe, actually the OE filter from GM (ACDelco) is easiest fit. But I cannot understand why the damn filter is so damn difficult to remove! Must be those damn bull strength SA mechanics. Most textbook examples say a little twist from the filter tool will do it. Some even say use bare hands can remove them. They must have not lubed the gasket and didn't fill the filter with oil and used bull strength. All combined means big trouble for DIYers and even the next mechanic to remove it.

I actually over poured the Delo 400 on the new filter. Then used the overflowed excess to lube the gasket. Then have the plastic catch container below the car to catch the spilled oil. Turned with bare hands until it fit. That is the nice thing about 5L oil packs. Can afford to waste especially if it is cheap Delo 400.

Edited by Genie47

Neutral Newbie

Its propably the mech using the wrench to tighten the filter and also you wrench could not get the grip to turn the filters. Bro dont give up on your wrench just get a file and file the inner part of the wrench not to smoothen but to get it more rougher , i think you get what i mean. that should do the trick.smile.gif

Neutral Newbie

Well done. Been doing my own servicing (engine oil/oil filter and spark plug) all this while can still recall the first time ..sweat sweat.. One tip.. use the empty 5l eg Mobil1 or any brand but must have the pull out snout. Cut an opening with a pen knife at the side of the bottle ..wahla.. no need to buy tupperware. With the snout, pouring used oil to another container much easier. For disposal, I always keep those Softlan or any detergent bottles to be the throw away container.

Edited by Yamrxz

No can do. Sending used oil for analysis sly.gif. Publish results so that people can extend their drain intervals safely. Only charge kopi when meet-up. Everyone will have their chance. laugh.gif

The metal gasoline tin they sell in petrol stations actually very cheap lah. The big one can put in 2-3 changes of used oil before secretly going downstairs to put beside the rubbish disposal area. gossip.gif

In the end, the DIY work is already cheap lah. No need cheapen it anymore. Furthermore, I'm a fan of cheap lubes. Malaysia now by newest source for good quality Group II+ and Group III lubes. Royal Purple is still my favorite for cheap PAO lube.

I know oil change is simple but how do u guys throw the used oil away????

Please dont tell me through the rubbish chute!!!! [smash][smash][smash]

My car is too low and plus my physic for me to go under my car to do oil change. I juz hope that someone can open a garage for ppl who like to DIY to use it with a minimal charge of say $5.

According to carpark rules, no servicing of vehicle in carpark if I'm not wrong.

Edited by Adrianli

Neutral Newbie

Too cheapen it more.. is the whole purpose of DIY. Recycling old bottle..go green bro. Been using cheap dino all these while.. till cxxxxxe came along.

Edited by Yamrxz

But strange lah, CLTR 5W40 cannot make it past 5k for a syn oil dizzy.gif. Sheared to 30wt, TBN down to 4.0, the way I look at it maximum 8k and no more sweatdrop.gif. But for the price to run an oil for 8k, very good already. Explains why I changed the oil described here. I was using CLTR and hit the 8k mark with the oil.

I'm already very green. Re-using the tupperware, the used oil is sort of stored before disposal. That is why I like the big gasoline tin container. wink.gif

(edited)

Just go to the highest level of the MSCP. Very few people park there. As long as you clean up the mess, I doubt anyone will report you unless there is a very analized Singaporean who saw you.

Explains why I got the tupperware to catch the used oil dripping out. Need paper towels as well.

I store the used oil in those metal gasoline containers they sell at the petrol kiosks. When full, leave it at the rubbish chute collection at the ground level. Let them figure it out. The ENV like any gahment agency is only good for wayang. Sheesh! Picking up rubbish by school kids at the beach is being green.....GIVE ME A BREAK! dead.gif

Edited by Genie47

Neutral Newbie

No harm done.Should be ok to dump it and let the cleaner throw, its not flamable anyway. Unless the foreign worker who found it used it for cooking oil then sure Newpaper front page .laugh.gif