BMW 3-series Plays It Safe

GDIzen

Neutral Newbie

BMW 3-series Plays It Safe

Whether familiarity is setting in or the post-Bangle styling has been toned down isn't clear, but the next generation BMW 3-series, due to be launched in the UK in May 2005, looks almost mainstream; BMW has played safe with its volume seller.

Whilst it may not look as startling as expected, the body is a useful 25 per cent stiffer yet weighs no more than the outgoing model. This, combined with a 35mm increase in wheelbase, revised suspension and BMW's obsession with 50/50 weight distribution, bodes well for the ride and handling. Standard-fit run-flat tyres could work against it, however.

Inside, the new 3-series is very recognisably BMW, and will have the option of a version of the contentious

i-Drive control system already seen on the 5- and 7-series. Other options include active steering and Bi-Xenon headlights. A six-speed manual gearbox will be standard across the range, as will two-stage brake-lights, while all six-cylinder models get Dynamic Stability Control.

The 3-series will be launched with four revised engines - 320i, 325i and 330i petrol units and the 320d diesel. The top-line petrol motor, the 330i, will be the lightest and most powerful six-pot engine in its segment thanks to the introduction of magnesium into its construction and an output of 258bhp. Combined with 221lb ft of torque, available from 2500-4000rpm, the 330i will hit 62mph from rest in 6.3sec. However, if its rumoured outputs turn out to be true, the hardest-hitting engine of the range could be the forthcoming twin-turbo 330 diesel. Said to produce 9bhp more than the petrol 330, it also boasts an outrageous 413lb ft, which is 30lb ft more than even the mighty V10 M5; in-gear acceleration should be prodigious.

By the end of 2006 the 3-series performance crown will pass to the new M3. A development mule has already been spotted testing and is thought to be powered by a 4-litre, 400bhp V8 version of the M5's V10. A six-speed manual is likely to remain the standard gearbox, complemented by an optional seven-speed version of the SMG semi-auto.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

err... may i sidetrack a bit??

i dunno if anyone noticed that the backside of the current 6-series looks almost like the Hyundai Tuscani Coupe...!!! especially in the night when the rear lights are on + the twin single exhausts on each side!! [lipsrsealed][lipsrsealed][sweatdrop][laugh]

P.S: 1 thing i noticed also is tat J.C frm Top Gear keeps criticising the newer BMs for their looks in terms of design... (i.e: 6-series, X3...) are ze Germans getting stale?? or were they stale all along? [lipsrsealed] heh.. but i sure got no complains abt the M3...

Neutral Newbie

J.C had always been critising BMWs every since he got his pathetic job with Top Gear. Its no surprise really. J.C doesn't only criticise the designs, but the performance and everything he could pick on. If you go to P2P programs and search for anything about J.C you should be able to find people made a custom made video doing it the "F9/11" style.

I don't believe the designs are stale. Not that I'm bias or anything but if you ask me, I had yet to adjust to the new 3 series rear yet. But I love the front.

J.C. odd to hang himself man .... this fella doesn't like volvo ... bmws.. porsche ... whatever. [laugh]

But JC luvs the Alfa, esp the 147 GTA [sly] I remembered in 1 episode of Top Gear, he pratically mock the X5 until 1 cent also not worth [dizzy]

Edited by Hatch_lover

Neutral Newbie

heh... actually wat u said is quite true... JC doesnt mince his words does he? [laugh]

the current 3 series is still a great looker especially whn lowered, + subtle bodykit & phat rims... i guess the new 3 series will look much better in person than in pictures as is with most cars... wat i like most is the fact tat BMW does indeed bothr to create their cars with 50:50 weight distribution, they max out the potential of their N.A engines... e.g: 3.0litre with 258BHP!! & the supreme example the 3.2l Inline with up to 365BHP in the M3 CSL... and they are quite ready to put in the latest technology in their production cars.

no doubt BMW is overpriced in SPR, but if i were to live in a country where cars are essentially a necessity, i dare say tat u essentially get wat u pay for in a BMW... [nod]

cheers!

Neutral Newbie

ya man... tis JC quite KL... for the X3 review, he purposely used a Range Rover to tow the X3 out of mud which it got stuck in... his final summary of the X3 was tat it was a pointless car... [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

↡ Advertisement