The VW Beetle

Totoro

Neutral Newbie

Hi there!

I'm abt the take that huge step to get my first car - with help from daddy of cos. And as a gal, i really like the Beetle (always been my dream car), from a girly fashion point of view of cos. :oP

With the recent drop in COEs - i've been quoted $91,888 - less $1,500 if i take more than 50% financing (which is likely), and less 3 months instalments free (max $2500).

Is this price ok? would it be more worth looking out for a 2nd hand?

How abt servicing? Is the Beetle a sturdy car? is it reputed to break down often? i'm a A to B person, and i'll take good car of it, i.e. wont thrash it abt. Parts may be expensive to find and replace?

thanks for advice, ppl..

kimmy

↡ Advertisement

Is daddy helping you with servicing, petrol, parking and road tax as well? If yes, then no difference as long as daddy says ok. Else, can you afford the above? Buying the car is easy but always think about the maintenance costs!

The Beetle's interior material are up to the usual VW's standard. My friend's beetle interior door panels are cracking and there is also a lot of 'blind' spots. He's driving his other car more often now and let his mum dirve it to the wet market.

Neutral Newbie

Hi Totoro,

First of all, would like to congrats on your beetle.

Looks like you are getting the 1.6 rather than the 1.8T version right?

I guess for a lady driver, 1.6 would like nice but personally, I would find it slightly under powered for a car like this.

Yes, the bug is definetely a fashionable and a lifestyle car to own and to drive, but the maintainese may come out to

be quite a huge sum for a conti car like that if you are getting a used one. If you are buying a brand new one, you dont really need to worry much

but typically, the wear and tear will surface say after the 2 or 3 years.

My uncle used to own one and I got to drive it quite often and I know its interior compartments such as door panels/handles,

trims, dashs and the electric parts tend to break down after awhile. Not sure about the new beetles but his was the very

first batch when it reached our shore. The new batch now comes with some changes such as the indicators on the side mirrors

and some minor changes in the interior too.

As for spare parts, C&C carries ALL spart parts for their VW cars. But the stock leadtime might make you wait for weeks if

they need to indent from Germany. We do have places like XinZiong who carries VW/AUdi parts which you can get much lower

price as compare to C&C. Other good workshops too are available to service our vag cars if warranty is over. Hence getting

the bug really not an issue for getting parts and getting it serviced.

Anyway, all I can say is that you are a lucky gal to have such a beauty to own and drive as your first car. wink.gif

I only can remember my first car was an Alfa33 1980 which I got to use my own pocket money to save and purchased with my own

means in Australia. unsure.gif

alfa33 as first car lucky liao. my first car was a '74 civic wif torn seats, smoky engine, busted cv joints and primer as paint. tongue.gif

Neutral Newbie

civic somemore, mine is just a hyundai Excel 1.5 [shakehead][shakehead]

which keep over heating when reaching a jam .. [furious]

Edited by Ghost

alfa33 as first car lucky liao. my first car was a '74 civic wif torn seats, smoky engine, busted cv joints and primer as paint

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

not bad already, my first car was the Morris 1100, the car's drive shaft will fail every 6 months. [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

Neutral Newbie

Buy a second hand Beetle. You should be able to find one ard 2 years old.

The depreciation of cars is steepest in the first 2 years. Since there's 3 year warranty, you can still get yourself covered.

2nd market very very dead now. So you can pick up a good bargain!

2 year olds are under old PARF scheme too, so got better exit price for yourself too [thumbsup]

Good luck!

Must be a really slow beetle then. When I drove my friend's 2.0 I wanted to cry already. Kept telling her she should have bought the 1.8T then I help her do sui sui until 280bhp.

Edited by Tanzy
↡ Advertisement