Sound Proofing the car

Saaber

Hi,

Dun think it'll be costly if u DIY. This should be an inspiration to you.

http://www.sounddomain.com/member_pages/vi...d=257969&page=1

The materials used are bitumen sheets. The construction industry is using it. If you've friends in the industry, perhaps can ask them whether they know where to get bitumen sheets.

Currently, there's a forummer in the ICE forum selling the bitumen sheets (what u see in the link). So far, he's the only one w such contacts & I feel that the price is a bit controlled.

The price of the bitumen sheets are around $90 for 5m worth of 3mm thick bitumen sheet.

Those ICE enthusiasts use a mixture of bitumen sheet and a/c insulation foam to soundproof the car. If u DIY, it'll cost less than $1k. But it takes almost a whole day to soundproof the entire car.

Neutral Newbie

Woah..! cheap arh. [shocked] have tot of doin up my car but dosent know how. Me not very "DIY".

How about a DIY session? Shall we organise one?

Hi Ezlife,

This will be my first attempt stripping the car and soundproofing it. I need some guidance from those who've done it before. Will be seeking help from those in ICE forum. Why not I've a go at it first, gain some experience before we actually organise a session? The earliest I can do so is in mid Dec.

It's recommended to keep the group small as tools get missing easily if we soundproof together in a large group. Also, recommended to find a sheltered place with power outlets. Need a hair-dryer to soften the bitumen sheet for better shaping (recommended).

I'm still asking ard where to get bitumen sheets at a cheaper price. If u've friends working in the construction industry, probably u can ask them where to get it also. Pics of the bitumen sheets r found in

http://www.sounddomain.com/member_pages/vi...d=257969&page=2

Hi,

Dun think it'll be costly if u DIY. This should be an inspiration to you.

http://www.sounddomain.com/member_pages/vi...d=257969&page=1

The materials used are bitumen sheets. The construction industry is using it. If you've friends in the industry, perhaps can ask them whether they know where to get bitumen sheets.

Currently, there's a forummer in the ICE forum selling the bitumen sheets (what u see in the link). So far, he's the only one w such contacts & I feel that the price is a bit controlled.

This car in the link is using the 3mm thick bitumen sheets that I had supplied. I am just a private car enthusiast like most of us here.

Oh dear, sorry if I made some people feel the price is controlled. The reason is because I buy at a fixed distributor's price from the manufacturer, add in a small markup for my petrol and time spent to collect the material. I then resell to DIYers who wants to try sound-proofing on their cars just like what I had done to my own car.

There is little room to reduce the price further since my costs are pretty fixed. At the same time, I realized that the same brand 1.6mm thick bitumen sheet is sold by the construction material distributors at about $25 to $40 higher per roll than my own pricing. That's why DIYers have been turning to me for the item although they can probably buy it elsewhere.

Another thing is that the ever-popular 3mm thick bitumen sheet (the one at $90 per 5m or $180 for 10m) is simply not available at any shops selling construction materials. Their distributor refused to stock it because it is not used for any construction projects in Singapore. The manufacturer can sell the 3mm bitumen to me because it is from a surplus they made for a petrochemical project which was later cancelled.

Hope this clears the rumours a bit.

Oh dear, sorry if I made some people feel the price is controlled. The reason is because I buy at a fixed distributor's price from the manufacturer, add in a small markup for my petrol and time spent to collect the material. I then resell to DIYers who wants to try sound-proofing on their cars just like what I had done to my own car.

Hi Maverick,

No worries. I've a few friends who have bought bitumen sheets from u before. Experience shows tt u quote the same price regardless of the qty purchased. To provide incentive for DIYers to bulk purchase and save off some $ for your petrol bill, won't it be prudent and perhaps attractive to offer a slight discount, say if we purchase more than 10m at one order?

Win win situation right? [thumbsup]

I also interested to sound proof the 4 doors, can you help me on that or anyone to guide me along, thanks!

You can contact directly to me via my mobile : 98248801.

I really appreciate anyone who can help me, thanks!

Where can we go to for soundproofing of the whole car?

$1k plus does sound like a damn expensive "mod" to the car. Why?Is it the intensive labour involved?

And how much to diy whole car?

Many thanks for responses.

Neutral Newbie

i believe most car audio shops provide this service. i think the material cost more than the labour. Though DIY cost only a fraction of it but may seem troublesome for some. I have no idea how much it cost to DIY whole car but know that damping the 4 doors cost around $300 plus.

Thanks for the en-lightenment.

Although I would like to say "yes, I did give discounts for larger orders!", it would not mean anything unless those guys who did get discounts say out loud.

I would make it equitable for all, and pass back any cost savings to fellow DIYers if I make a single trip to collect as my petrol used is more or less constant.

Yep. I also believe in a win-win situation for all.

The cost is definitely in the low hundreds if you use self-bought materials.

Here is a breakdown of the cost of sound-proofing that won't cost an arm or leg:

1) self-adhesive bitumen sheets (1m x 10m and 3mm thickness) - $180

- I can consolidate orders and collect directly from the manufacturer.

2) Asiatic insulation foam sheets (4 pieces, around 1m x 1.5m per piece) - $25

- buy from Asiatic Refrigeration at Owen Road.

3) rubber glue (for making the bitumen stick tighter to vertical door surfaces) - $6

- buy from any hardware shop.

4) Labour :

a) if DIY, it's free! Lots of advice available from the SLCC forum.

b) if you go to any audio installer in Singapore, typical $150 to $200 for floorpan (remove seats and carpeting). $30 for each door.

c) if you go to JB, I was told it is RM100 ~ S$48 for floorpan. Labour for doing doors also dirt cheap but I donno how much.

If DIY, the cost is < $220. If subcontracted out, it would be < $300 if done in JB or <$500 if done in Singapore.

Forget about those overpriced audio installers asking for $100 to $200 per door or $1000 per car. The audio deadener sheets they used are basically bitumen-based stuff and for that $1000 you pay, you are getting something really thin (1mm to 1.5mm) and probably less effective.

Hi Maverick,

How much bitumen is required if I intend to soundproof the floorplan only (doors excluded)? I'm looking at the 3mm sheet.

↡ Advertisement