STEERING WHEEL VIBRATE AFTER RIM CHANGE

Galactus

toa payoh industrial part...lor 8.

Think the company name is eng wah or something like that.

Its the agent for Michelin tyre...

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

when u travel like below 80kmh you don't need on wheel balancing,unless u drive more then 80kmh above.

on wheel balancing mean they will not take out your rim and using a small machine to balance your four wheel.

center ring is the ring that to put into disc brake center hub,cos more of the after market rims don't fit in nicely,so need center ring to fit in between the rim and disc hub.

Thanks Magix73 for the explanation.

The shop I went to did not used any small machine or fit any centre ring...

anyway... I chatted with this guy from MCF that used to have this problem.

He say can try Stamford Tyre for balancing.... any comment?

Or do you know of any other company that provide good balancing service?

Neutral Newbie

No problem bro,

if u using after market rims u must use the the center ring to fit it,if not u will never get it balance.

u can try Stamford Tyre they prolly give good service but a little costly.

Neutral Newbie

tires still new? check whether the white paint spots on the tires are aligned with the air valves.

can't remember, but the white painted spots indicate the heaviest or lightest part of the tire and it should be aligned with the air valve as that tends to be the heaviest or lightest part of the rim so that you can get the balancing right.

south east should do a good job of balancing. Stamford i think depends on the outlet tongue.gif

Edited by Mojoe

Steering vibration at slow speed and at high speed need different diagnotic skills.

At 80Km/hr, it is considered slow speed. Looks like the initial wheel balancing is not correctly done or the wheels need to be re-mount. As for steering and wheel linkage, since yr ride is new , that area need not be taken into consideration.

The other possiblity not considered by most tyreman, for most mass produced tyres, is the tyre concentricity. Tyre moulds are make of aluminium , over time the mould can suffer distortion due to long usage, uneven high temp during tyre curing and poor worker handling. During casing and curing time, poor rubber compound , uneven heating and presence of air bubbles can produce out of round tyres.

For high speed tyres,before mounting on to the rims, most of the new tyres are subjected to a skiming and balancing process where the high spots are taken out to produce concentric tyres. The rims are also balance separately. the balanced rims and tyres are then fitted and dynamically balance down to less than 0.5gm. The whole assembles are then mounted on to the brake asembles and the wheels are again subjected to high speed on- the-car balancing.Once the process is completed, the wheel lug nuts are mark in the even if the mechanics has to service the the brakes, the wheels can be then remount back to the original position.

PS Many tyreshops wheel balancers are not calibrated and do not have below 5gm reading. Most of the machines will cut-off once the out-of balance tyre is at 5gm. So in actual fact there is a residuce out of balance of 5gm not corrected. It is ok for most city cars. Also make sure that the tyreman use new wheels weights as old one can drop off easily.

Hi Guys... I have finally solved my problem with the vibrating steering wheel...

Rememebr i told you guys that i went to Yap brothers to do balancing some time back. Well....the vibration was still there after the balancing at Yap brother and i kinda give up..... then last week... I was free as I was on leave, so I drop by Yap Brother again to try the high speed balancing...

The boss was in that day, and he did the high speed balancing for me himself.

He had problem getting the wheels balance while it was spinning on the car....

In the end he took out everything and check, then realised that the rims cannot fit my car nicely even with the centre ring. He explain that the rims are taiwan made and more for japanese and korean car. Althought Chevy Aveo is korean made, but the spec is mold after continental car... so cannot fit nicely.

In the end I trade in my rims and get another set....

Seriously... i dont know yap bother is telling the truth or not...mayb wat they told me is just grandmothers story to conned me......but anyway.. i am just glad that the vibration is gone now.

Now i can go up to 120km/h and still feel no vibrtion... [thumbsup]

Neutral Newbie

Try on wheel balancing. I used to do off wheel balance with my car but the problem still persisted until on wheel balancing solved it. I did it at Stamford Changi.

Sad to say, I suspect they are not telling u the whole truth. However, glad your vib are gone.

Sometime back, when I sent my car for wheel balance at * brothers (many years there doing tyre) at Keat Hong area and tested to be bad becos vibrating badly on speed above 85, went back and they try to rebalance but on 2nd attempt also crap. Then they try to give me grand mothers story that the rim don't match my car and all that.

So later I went to another shop and ask them to check it out again, after the wheel balance again, no fault found, no vibration up to 170 km/hr. My conclusion is u don't really need on wheel balancing to drive.

Edited by Sky8807

Well heres my experience

I am on the original 18" rim on my car, sometime back i started to have alot of vibration on the steering and even my car at around 80 to 100, went to pml and was adviced to balance the tyres at high speed ie high speed balancing, since their earliest slot was 2 days away, i went to the stamford at hougang, the guy there, an indian chap, was very clear about the problem, told me that normal balancing was ok, so he took out all the rims and rebalanced. the front left tyre was way off on the reading. the problem is that when the rim and tyre are heavy at the same spot you get a skewed weight on the tyres, so he took out the rim from the tyre and refitted the tyre and rebalanced, the end result no vibration at all. cheers

Btw the cost was only 30 bucks, pretty cheap in fact the lowest amount that i spent on my car to solve anything. [sunny]

Neutral Newbie

yeah this is so true. if the tire is not installed correctly, no amount of on-wheel balancing is going to solve the prob.

the tire valve should be aligned with the yellow paint spot on the new tire during installation.

Glad your balancing experience is good.

BTW, is it normal balance or on car balance that rectify your problem. I'm a little blur.

Of course the tyre and rim fitment must be proper in the first place.

Neutral Newbie
Sad to say, I suspect they are not telling u the whole truth. However, glad your vib are gone.

Sometime back, when I sent my car for wheel balance at * brothers (many years there doing tyre) at Keat Hong area and tested to be bad becos vibrating badly on speed above 85, went back and they try to rebalance but on 2nd attempt also crap. Then they try to give me grand mothers story that the rim don't match my car and all that.

So later I went to another shop and ask them to check it out again, after the wheel balance again, no fault found, no vibration up to 170 km/hr. My conclusion is u don't really need on wheel balancing to drive.

Actually good balancing does remove such vibration from the steering wheel. Usually vibration wld be the symptom for improper wheel balancing ...

btw whad car were u in when goin 170kmh ? hope its not in SGP, gazz it wldn't be the car in your avatar or an Aveo either [scholar]

I dont think the whole aveo will vibrate even if i hit high level.... so far review for aveo at high speed is quite good...suppose to have more power in the higher gear...

btw.. i tried prugeot 206 and 307 in france.... hit 150-170km/hrs on the high way.... 307 is more stable compare to 206. And they run on diesel....

↡ Advertisement