Second hand sports rims

Ben123

Neutral Newbie

Anyone knows when to get second hand sports rims? Thought of getting a set. Mine is 175 70R13. Is this type of rim easily available? How much should I be paying for it?

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Broz, the price ranges from 300-500 together with 2nd hand tires.

If you caculate the cost savings, it may not be much especially if you have to change the tires.

Eg 400 Rims + 320 For New Tires = 720.

At 720, you can get brand new rims and tires all together :) [;)]

My previous set of tyres (normal steel rims) which came with my second-hand car also 175/70/R13. Last year bought a set of second-hand wheel (tyres + rims) 195/50/R15 at a tyre shop in Bukit Batok for $250. The rims is those stock sports rims which other people had traded-in when they upgrade. The tyres still quite OK and I should be able to use it for another 1 ~ 2 years. But the choise (design) of second-hand rims may be rather limited.

The condition looks OK, no scratches when I bought it. But its a Toyota stock sport rim, so design quite plain. Tyre is Yokohama Aspec DB, and threadwear still quite alot to go.

At that time, I was considering buying a set of brand new tyre (GR80) for the existing 175/70/R13 tyres. But comparing the costs of getting a set of new tyres vs a set of 2nd hand rims + tyres, the 2nd hand rims + tyres is a better option - cheaper.thumbsup.gif

hm... my rims are the stock mazda sports rims on 185/65/14 Bridgestone B391 tyres. mileage coming to 70k liao. so its time to consider changing tyres loh.

abit itchy to change rims oso but not sure if change to 15 inch will affect the steering response by alot.

i tried bro protege 17 inch drive and it feels much heavier.

Wah......70k?sweatdrop.gif

When I changed from 13 inch to 15 inch, I didn't felt that steering got heavier. I felt that going around bend definately improved (more fun to hit those bend at higher speedsly.gif), and also handling a bit more sensitive as those uneven road conditions can be transmitted to the steering wheels. FC was affected slightly, just slightly higher.unsure.gif

yeah.. tell me abt it. i like to take the corner on the viaduct near macritchie reservoir. got this left turn bend. real fun to take it at high speed when u see the rest of cars braking. [laugh][laugh]

think i will upgrade to 15 at the most. 16 will affect FC too much. and oso 16 inch tyres way too expensive liao... [shakehead][shakehead][shakehead]

wrx... went to look at prodrive and OZ rims. then luckily a frostie owner told me that if we ever want to upgrade to brembo brakes then only prodrive or rota will do. Prodrive is very ex $700 plus EACH rim... [sweatdrop] now we're only 16"... [:|]

later that day, i scratched rims at suntec c'park [blush] and i was thanking God they weren't prodrive!!! [sweatdrop]

also went to southeast at Kaki Bukit. Their prodrives were cheaper but out of stock... We're still using 050 (stock) tyres... just went to south east at marine parade to chck tyre pressure. Car feels a little wobbly when going at 180... he says i have to come back in the morning coz the tyres were hot after a day of driving around, so current reading is not accurate...

Edited by Scoobyhigh

haha. [laugh] guess i am not the only one who gets a kick out of seeing others brake while u zoom pass them [lipsrsealed] on a bend... [laugh][laugh] as long as we're safe... [cool] i have to thank my AWD for that...

Neutral Newbie

$250 is rather cheap. I wouldn't replacing mine for that amount. A friend of mine got his second hand rims for $40 each. Trouble is hot to know if the second hand rims are genuinely belong to upgraders and not from accident cars. Is it true that sport rims are heavier? Do you notice any changes in fuel consumption?

Thanks

If your friend got it @ $40 each including tyres, that's cheaper that my source. I'd agreed that there are certain risks in getting a 2nd hand rims as they might have came from accident cars, but maybe you can do a through visual check?

I've weight the 15 inch and the 13 inch spare tyres, and the 15 inch is heavier by approximately 0.5 ~ 1 kg each. As for FC, I've been trending my FC before and after changing the wheels, and the difference is rather minor, difficult to determine confidently if there are any changes from the FC graphs. Basically FC is dependent on driving style more than wheel sizes (provided that rolling diameter remains unchange).

Neutral Newbie
hm... my rims are the stock mazda sports rims on 185/65/14 Bridgestone B391 tyres. mileage coming to 70k liao. so its time to consider changing tyres loh.

abit itchy to change rims oso but not sure if change to 15 inch will affect the steering response by alot.

i tried bro protege 17 inch drive and it feels much heavier.

mine is 195/55/15 stock mazda sport rims with st115....(changed to preceda recently)...the steering is not that heavy but responsive....wont feel light when u going at high speed and cornering are good...fc compared to 14inch?? [confused] mine ranges from 13-15km/litres...what urs?

nah. i only know what my hubby tells me and from what i read in the magazines he buys.... at least i read his car mags, i dun go anyhwere near his audiophile ones... [dizzy]

no lah. pockets not deep enuf, thats why we're not changing rims yet! [laugh]

↡ Advertisement