Drunk Driving

Steven

I hope there are more drink driving operations rather than have the TP hiding in buses/overhead bridges.

Kind of disagree. Think we should have both. Just to what degree only.

Cos from what I experienced in ane, vast majority of accidents occur because of speeding and loss of control/dangerous driving as opposed to drunkenness.

It's just that drunk driving makes the news and we all speed or cut into bus lanes and we have our rationale for it. Unfortunately, drunks also have their own logic (I don't feel drunk. If you can speed and feel safe because you are in control, why can't I drink and feel safe and still be in control?).

One can argue that drunk people have impaired reaction time. I agree. The problem is that if sober people have better reaction time, then why the spate of accidents involving sober drivers?

On this issue, having alcohol in the system makes one's reaction slower. Same goes for sleepy drivers. Hope relevant authorities can also clamp down on companies that make drivers drive beyond reasonable limits which make them drive when sleepy. Some long distance bus companies come to mind.

Two cents. Don't flame me.

↡ Advertisement

I don't really get what your are disagreeing with me about.

If you are arguing that speeding or lethargy/exhaustion are as bad as drink driving.....

I will not reinvent the wheel...there are tons of well verified information out there on the effects of alcohol on the driver...this is one of them:

https://saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/road-safety/behaviours/drinking-and-driving/effects-of-alcohol-on-driving/

EFFECTS OF ALCOHOL ON DRIVING

Alcohol adversely affects your ability to drive as soon as you have your first drink. If you drive while impaired, you are putting your own life and the life of others at risk.

THE EFFECTS OF ALCOHOL ON DRIVING

• Increased risk-taking:
    • speeding
    • failure to wear a seat belt
    • recklessness
  • False sense of confidence and being in control
  • Difficulty maintaining a constant speed and trajectory
  • Decreased attention and impaired judgment:
    • altered vision and hearing
    • decreased concentration
    • slower reaction times
    • poor physical coordination
  • Drowsiness
ALCOHOL DOESN'T AFFECT EVERYONE EQUALLY
For the same amount of alcohol consumed and at the same weight, women usually have a slightly higher blood alcohol concentration than men. However, a person's sex has a fairly negligible effect compared to other factors, such as:
  • weight
  • rate of alcohol absorption
  • fatigue
  • medication
Beware of mixing!
Mixing alcohol with drugs or medication accelerates and amplifies impairment. For example, mixing alcohol with cannabis multiplies your risk of having an accident by 15.

See the points highlighted in red.......drink driving alone covers both your points about speeding and sleepy drivers....and many more in a single shot (pun intended).

Welcome to flame me.

Cos from what I experienced in ane, vast majority of accidents occur because of speeding and loss of control/dangerous driving as opposed to drunkenness.

It's just that drunk driving makes the news and we all speed or cut into bus lanes and we have our rationale for it. Unfortunately, drunks also have their own logic (I don't feel drunk. If you can speed and feel safe because you are in control, why can't I drink and feel safe and still be in control?).

One can argue that drunk people have impaired reaction time. I agree. The problem is that if sober people have better reaction time, then why the spate of accidents involving sober drivers?

On this issue, having alcohol in the system makes one's reaction slower. Same goes for sleepy drivers. Hope relevant authorities can also clamp down on companies that make drivers drive beyond reasonable limits which make them drive when sleepy. Some long distance bus companies come to mind.

• Praise 1

I don't really get what your are disagreeing with me about.

If you are arguing that speeding or lethargy/exhaustion are as bad as drink driving.....

I will not reinvent the wheel...there are tons of well verified information out there on the effects of alcohol on the driver...this is one of them:

https://saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/road-safety/behaviours/drinking-and-driving/effects-of-alcohol-on-driving/

See the points highlighted in red.......drink driving alone covers both your points about speeding and sleepy drivers....and many more in a single shot (pun intended).

Welcome to flame me.

Hi. I didn't disagree with you on drunk driving. Just that your previous post seems to imply that TP should focus it's attention to road blocks to catch drunks than to hide in overhead bridges to catch speedsters....

Cos my observations are that most accidents don't involve drunk drivers.

Not saying that drunk drivers are not a danger to the road. They are. And so are speedsters and tired drivers who are sober so my opinion is that yes there can be more blocks to catch drunk drovers (and speedsters and such) but operations filming at bus lanes or from overhead bridges should not be reduced as a result.

If we delve deep into it, there are avoidable and unavoidable accidents. Drunk driving, speeding, accident caused due to poorly maintained vehicles are avoidable accidents. Those things out of human control (tree falling over a parked or moving car, accidents due to sudden cardiac arrest/epilepsy), sudden crossing of an animal or a malfunctioning traffic light 

or a poorly lit road / badly designed exit/entrance are unavoidable.

The entire process of driving (or any other activity) is based on mitigating existing risks. Speeding and drunk driving does no good to reduce / mitigate risks.

Going by your logic, the only way to avoid accident is to avoid being on roads - and so can drink and make merry as much as you want!

If we delve deep into it, there are avoidable and unavoidable accidents. Drunk driving, speeding, accident caused due to poorly maintained vehicles are avoidable accidents. Those things out of human control (tree falling over a parked or moving car, accidents due to sudden cardiac arrest/epilepsy), sudden crossing of an animal or a malfunctioning traffic light

or a poorly lit road / badly designed exit/entrance are unavoidable.

The entire process of driving (or any other activity) is based on mitigating existing risks. Speeding and drunk driving does no good to reduce / mitigate risks.

Going by your logic, the only way to avoid accident is to avoid being on roads - and so can drink and make merry as much as you want!

Eh my logic? My logic is TP should as you say monitor traffic to prevent accidents to prevent or reduce avoidable accidents.

So my point is simply you cannot focus on drink driving alone. Drink driving is dangerous even if you don't speed cos your reactions are impaired. So is speeding while sober or driving while tired. TP should look out for all this rather than just drink driving.

Just for reference, I only disagreed with this line. Not the entire post or argument.

Vratenza, on 07 Nov 2018 - 11:35 PM, said:

I hope there are more drink driving operations rather than have the TP hiding in buses/overhead bridges.

Never said drink driving is safe or acceptable.

Edited by Philipkee

Eh my logic? My logic is TP should as you say monitor traffic to prevent accidents to prevent or reduce avoidable accidents.

So my point is simply you cannot focus on drink driving alone. Drink driving is dangerous even if you don't speed cos your reactions are impaired. So is speeding while sober or driving while tired. TP should look out for all this rather than just drink driving.

Just for reference, I only disagreed with this line. Not the entire post or argument.

Vratenza, on 07 Nov 2018 - 11:35 PM, said:

Never said drink driving is safe or acceptable.

I agree with the line you disagree with - enforcement is not only required for DUI , but any recklessness (that includes speeding, beating the red light , drink driving etc)...

Peace!

• Praise 2