Interested in New Beetle

Mach

Am thinking of getting the Beetle 1.6A as I've always liked the shape of the original, but need a modern car with auto trans. I'm aware that its a bit underpowered, but hope that it has the typical German car build (ie, robust and quality).

Any New Beetle owners here can advise on the maintenance cost/ reliability of this car ? And the service at the agent ?

Noticed that the car OMV is only around $20K, but the basic car is really very basic - so the agent markup is quite high - does this translate to better service ? [lipsrsealed]

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

I think the high markup translatex to high depreciation, kekeke.

C&C is known for this. But prices of VW may get lower when VW AG gets into the import business, in place of C&C.

Neutral Newbie

[reply]

Am thinking of getting the Beetle 1.6A

IMO, get the 2.0A version, 1.6A is under power 4 the heavy Beetle shakehead.gif

If pocket allow, 1.8T will be inlove.gif

Cheers sunny.gif

[nod] Yessss...1.8T.....but pocket dun allow leh. [shakehead]

Wonder if prices will come down when C&C stops being the distributor - anyone know when the handover is ? Don't want to buy, then find out that I should have waited a bit.

Neutral Newbie

M,

From what I understand, its been handed over oredi.....1st Jan 05

Excerpt from ST.....

Jan 6, 2005

Volkswagen joins list of carmakers importing own vehicles

German firm will bring in own cars and sell them to sole dealer Car & Cars

By Christopher Tan

SENIOR CORRESPONDENT

GERMAN car giant Volkswagen (VW) has become the latest manufacturer to take over import operations traditionally run by a local business. VW will now bring vehicles in itself and then sell them to its sole dealer here, the Car & Cars agency, which has been the importer and distributor since 1999.

The move is a blow, at least in the short term, for Car & Cars, as it will have less margin to play with, but motorists could benefit in the form of lower prices.

Car & Cars, which is owned by entrepreneur Peter Kwee, recently spent almost $25 million on a massive showroom in Alexandra Road. 'We did not know of Volkswagen's intentions when we invested in the showroom,' said Mr Kwee's son, Kevin, the executive director of Group Exklusiv, Car & Cars' parent.

But the latter admitted that the change had a silver lining as it would relieve Car & Cars of the costly burden of marketing and strategy planning.

And some of the lost margins could be offset by the higher sales VW is determined to achieve. In the last three years, Car & Cars has averaged about 380 passenger cars a year, but VW expects to treble this to about 1,000 units annually by 2008.

'We will invest $15 million over the next five years in branding and marketing,' said VW's regional director, Dr Olaf Duebel, who will head the new import operation.

The investment is almost twice Car & Car's average annual spending.

While motor industry players are disappointed by the development, which follows similar arrangements made by DaimlerChrysler, BMW, Ford and General Motors, consumers stand to benefit. 'The open-market value of our cars will come down, and our prices will become more competitive,' Dr Duebel said, without giving details. 'It is too early to say by how much.' The first cars imported by VW itself will arrive in a week or two. The company said it will offer its complete range of models, starting with the Phaeton limousine this month.

The Phaeton 3.2 V6 will be sold at around $250,000 and the 4.2 V8 at about $300,000. Both are long-wheelbase cars. It would be followed by the Touran seven-seater in the second quarter and Polo sub-compact in the third. The Golf GTI is also expected around mid-year.

'The Phaeton did very well in Taiwan, where we sold 300 units in three months,' Dr Duebel said. VW has also assumed importerships in Australia and South Korea recently and has entered into a venture to assemble cars in Malaysia.

'We take all the importer business because we want to make a strong commitment to the region,' Dr Duebel said. Some industry observers now believe Audi, distributed by Premium Automobiles, will be the next brand to be taken out of local hands.

VW-owned Audi has made similar moves in the region recently.

Copyright Straits Times, 6 Jan 05

Neutral Newbie

Hi Mach,

One of my friend just took delivery of his VW Beetle 1.6A before the CNY. He did pay a higher price at approx. S$91K with guaranteed COE and the following are what he got as part of the deal :

- 17" VW factory alloy wheels with Pirelli P7000 tyres

- reverse sensors

- Tomo leather seats

- rubber floor mats (in addition to the original VW logo carpet mats)

OMV of the car is approx. S$23K while the COE is an open category one pegged at about S$22K.

Hope the above info helps. [:)]

I have a 9/02 silver beetle for sale if you are interested.

BTW, the 2.0 version is not on sale anymore - when it was first launched, it was $155k, The diff btwn the 1.6 and 2.0 is only 10 hp - not worth it.

Neutral Newbie

Hi Spikey,

Think your message should be addressed to Mach instead as I believe he/she is the one who's looking at a VW Beetle. [;)]

Edited by Hc1883

Neutral Newbie

Yeah, but that's only the official business bit.

From what I know, it's still quite business as usual for cnc.

For better or worse.... [:p]

Neutral Newbie

Hi, is there a website call volkshaven, where all the beetle owners get together? Anyone knows if there is a Beetle club out there? How to contact them? : )

↡ Advertisement