Cat Converter

Lightspeed

I have this blue hotbits cat lying around at home passed to me by the previous owner of my car. Was wondering if it was "safe" for me to install it... Is it illegal? Have got mixed reactions from different people...Some say its a $500 fine [mad]..some say its ok to change to sports cat....any clues anyone???!!! Thanks!!! [:)]

↡ Advertisement

If it is a REAL cat or race cat then it'll be ok to install as the emissions will be clean and won't stink (tell tale sign of cat removal or failure). One tip is to spray the entire cat black before installation so that the inspection guy cannot fault U for having aftermarket exhaust.

I'm running on a CATCO Race Cat (from USA) and an aftermarket cat-back exhaust system with Stainless steel mufflers (gotto spray them black soon [:p]).

I tried removing my stock cat and replacing with a "bullet" resonator and the results weren't good. Exhaust stinks and my bumper and exhaust tip turned yellow. The performance gain couldn't be felt much either.

If it is a REAL cat or race cat then it'll be ok to install as the emissions will be clean and won't stink (tell tale sign of cat removal or failure). One tip is to spray the entire cat black before installation so that the inspection guy cannot fault U for having aftermarket exhaust.

I'm running on a CATCO Race Cat (from USA) and an aftermarket cat-back exhaust system with Stainless steel mufflers (gotto spray them black soon [:p]).

I tried removing my stock cat and replacing with a "bullet" resonator and the results weren't good. Exhaust stinks and my bumper and exhaust tip turned yellow. The performance gain couldn't be felt much either.

Hi Gavin...dunno if u remember me..I'm the guy who drives a Mitsu Lancer who followed Patrick (Volvo S40) to Clark Quay for his first meetup with u guys...

I'm currently using stock cat...but my exhaust tip has turned yellow ...is it cos I'm using this Super Dynamics muffler? any ideas? [:)]

Previous owner was using this muffler and the hotbits cat, but swapped back to stock cat when he sold me the car....

My exhaust tip only turned yellow after a drive to KL and back.... also wondering if my muffler would gimme a loss of $500 by white ants..... [:p]

Oh it's U! Sorry can't remember your name [:|]

Let's start off by accessing your current yellow tip situation, how old is your car (and stock cat)? The cat may not be working efficently anymore and if u're revving hard along the NS highway then the cat can only filter out a certain percentage of the exhaust contaminents as it's worn out.

I have this problem when I did my dyno test with the car holding high revs as I'm using an undersized cat so at higher revs the "filtration" of the cat cannot filter out all the contaminents of the exhaust.

If your muffler is silver/stainless steel, try painting it black and if it's not too noisy U won't get stopped for it. Probably have to swap back to original during inspection if U wanna play safe. [;)]

Oh it's U! Sorry can't remember your name [:|]

Let's start off by accessing your current yellow tip situation, how old is your car (and stock cat)? The cat may not be working efficently anymore and if u're revving hard along the NS highway then the cat can only filter out a certain percentage of the exhaust contaminents as it's worn out.

I have this problem when I did my dyno test with the car holding high revs as I'm using an undersized cat so at higher revs the "filtration" of the cat cannot filter out all the contaminents of the exhaust.

If your muffler is silver/stainless steel, try painting it black and if it's not too noisy U won't get stopped for it. Probably have to swap back to original during inspection if U wanna play safe. [;)]

Its ok :) My name's Eamon [;)]

Anyway...my car is a 1996 car...so..pretty old [shocked]

Muffler has got a low bassy sound...but so far so good...have not been stopped by anyone [:p]

Went for inspection with it in Sept and the guy didn't wanna pass me...I had to act and tell him I didn't know anything and that I had just bought the car cos it looked nice and knew nuts about such things [angelic] He passed me in the end telling me if I got stopped I shouldn't tell anyone it was him who passed me [cool]

On the subject of the blue hotbits cat the previous owner passed me...he told me it made the car "louder" ...so was wondering if should change...probably attract more attention...hahaha...thats why up till now still collecting dust...

Still at a loss at what to do [:/]

Hey Eamon,

1996 car so you have inspection every two years rite? Slap on the hotbits one and worry two years later lah. If too loud then add a resonator after the cat, that should quiet things down a bit.

One straight thru muffler that I came across to be quiet is the hotbits large sized muffler at MAN exhaust. Two of my friend fitted the large Hotbits (Clio and Corolla) and it's damn quiet! Too quiet for my corolla friend [:p]

One more thing to note, used exhaust parts tend to rust quickly if not put into use for a while so better decide quick! I kept a Remus muffler for two years in my store room and when I took it out......*klink klong*! Internals rusted liao [mad]

Well....I've been thinking about the hotbits cat...but it'll be pretty loud according to the previous owner...scared will attract white ants...And my car's rather flashy as well in a sense....tats why still very undecided [:p]

Am afraid that the loud muffler PLUS the cat would be really loud and attract ROV on the road and then me losing $500 [:(]

Basically..I'm more concerned with the $500 thingy [:/]

But I like LOUD ...hahahaha...

Geez...still pretty undecided [:p]

Let's find one day to meetup and hear your current exhaust note. U can hear my exhaust note as well as my was stock the last time we met.

Depends on how "flashy" ur car may be, driving wisely when U meet a TP or late at night is your best bet to NOT draw white ants' attention. [;)]

I have this blue hotbits cat lying around at home passed to me by the previous owner of my car. Was wondering if it was "safe" for me to install it... Is it illegal? Have got mixed reactions from different people...Some say its a $500 fine [mad]..some say its ok to change to sports cat....any clues anyone???!!! Thanks!!! [:)]

Bro, dun waste time putting in or taking our cats. The best thing to do is change the whole piping from hearder all the way back to your muffler. Dun worry about the 500 fine. Just get the exhaust shop to put back the original cat cover over your aftermarket one. Like that, inspection oso pass, so no need to wolly about the 500 dollar!!!!!

Most likely the header is stainless steel that's why kena TP eye attention. The trick is to coat the shiny header with heat resistant black paint. I show U the paint during our meetup [;)]

Neutral Newbie

Hi

From your postings, looks like you're the man!!

May I know approximately how much is a high-flow Cat?

Other than Man, JC, FK, who else would you recommend?

Many thanks in advance.

A race cat (very rare in Singapore) will cost in $200-$500 depending on brand and sizing, however in the US it's damn cheap. Why? Because most race-cats are made in the US as their strict emission rules requires a cat to be installed in a aftermarket exhaust system. [;)]

I got my 3" race-cat for up to 3.5litres engine for US$49.95 excluding freight, a damn good buy [cool]

I highly recommend Aman's exhaust work, he has good skillz and prices. [:)]