Engine vibrate violently?

Noname

Neutral Newbie

Hi guys,

I'm a noob when dealing with cars. Just got myself a 2nd hand 94Sunny right after I pass my driving test.

Been driving for about 2 weeks now. Now it seems that my engine vibrate violently whenever I start the car in the morning. It is ok once I start moving off.

My uncle is said it is a timing issue, but I don't understand what he means. Anyone care to explain to me [;)]

And is it a dangerous thing? Sending the car for alignment next week so might as well as the guy to solve this problem for me.

Thanks a lot for your help.

↡ Advertisement

Since it's a 94 model, it's probably worn engine mountings. Not really dangerous but quite irritating. What's your idling speed? (engine rev when stationary)

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

I'm not too sure but I think it's about 1k. Will check it out later, but 1k if I do not remember wrongly.

Only vibrate like crazy when starting, once I move off it's ok. Even when I stop at an intersection etc.

Edited by Noname

Is your Sunny an auto or manual? If it's auto, get someone to check the engine compartment for you while U have the car in brake while shifting from "N" to "D" or "R". Whenever the tranmission is shifted the engine will shift either forward or backwards. If there is broken engine mount(s), there will be obvious knocking sounds from the engine compartment when the gear is shifted. [;)]

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

It's a manual. Hey and thanks for the help guys.

The guys in this forum are really helpful [thumbsup]. Sending the car for checks on the 12th which is next week. Supposed to send it in this week but I had my first in camp after less than 6 mths I ORD.

Edited by Noname

Humm....then it could be ignition timing or idle control problem.

Try my mech Ah Lin at Blk 29 Sin Ming Ind Est #01-215, he charges resonably and very experienced with Jap cars. Great maintenance guy [thumbsup]

Neutral Newbie

Thanks Turbobrick, I think that's the timing my uncle was referring to.

Do you guys think it's ok if I put it off until next week. Cos I'm still under parts and service warranty. (Already made an appt with them) So don't want to go to other workshops first.

And what is it really about? I mean the ignition timing.

Neutral Newbie

And I'll be sure to visit your mech after my warranty period is up [;)] Hear stories of noobs being ripped off. Since you recommend it, I believe it is trustworthy.

Thanks for the info.

Hi Noname,

If your car is a 1.6L, then it's the same engine as my Presea.

Maybe we can compare the 2 if we meet up....I used to have engine vibration problems due to a variety of problems.... I've also done a little bit of adjustments to the engine (only need a screwdriver) to adjust idle rpm speed....

Maybe at the next sanctioned MCF meetup... [:)]

cheers

Neutral Newbie

I think mine is 1.4l Anyway me not a real car junkie, perhaps in the future [:p]

Ok maybe one of these days, anyway me still very young only 21. Still studying.

Does suzuki swift gti, engine vibrate too. Cos mine is vibrating not sure whether is the engine mounting problem or the natural of the engine since is over 15 yrs.

regards

Edited by Hungryforcar

around 1 in the meter not sure is 1000 or less. with aircon fan running is vibrated too. if i installed a front strut bar will it help to min the vibration?

Edited by Hungryforcar

hmmm..... i tap abit of acc, will reduce in vibrating but once in idlling mode, it vibrate and awhile later vibrate more and goes down, on and on, normal?

last time i own a march, the vibration is not like massage car.

i knw in the high speed it doesnt vibrate.

if the engine mounting problem can i check visually

my personal view is try to have a slightly higher rpm and monitor.

When i got mine, i tot is the engine mounting too and the mech quote me like 200+ to change it...later found that it is common for our ride..hence didnt do it.

not sure can check visually, think normally is thru inspection of vibration

should be the ignition timing. easiest way is to try out different sparkplugs to see which suit ur engine setup... or u can manually adjust the timing

↡ Advertisement