Common Problems with Optra 5

Deathsythe

Neutral Newbie

To Muskee

Congrats! Just do a search and you'd find numerous postings on what you need to look out for when collecting your car...

The optra 5 has fallen in price since its launched, maybe your SE has stretched for you. The car comes most complete. You can TRY to ask for mud flaps possibly.

Regards

Jansen [drivingcar]

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Bro Muskee,

I believe freebies are asked for before you sign on the dotted line. This is because the SE has not yet made the sale and hence you have bargaining power to press him for some stuff. Common items include paint-sealing (e.g. Tuff Coat, Toughseal etc.), better tyres and/ or rims, window films (e.g. VKool, Huber Optik etc.), reverse sensors and so on.

Freebies actually come out of the SEs own commission from the car sale. ALL SEs will always complain that their commission is low. Freebies are not official in that Starsauto does not have anything to do with it; it is strictly between you and the SE as a sweetener to the deal. Depending if it is a buyers market or sellers market, we have all recorded SEs who have bent over backwards to make a sale and give a lot of juicy freebies or simply flatly say take it or leave it.

If you are truly collecting your car in a couple of days, I guess the deal is already done and hence that your SE has no more incentive to concede to any of your freeby request. You would only get the token stuff that already comes with the car.

I guess you could still try. You can go with Jansen's suggestion on the mudguards. If the SE does concede and give it to you, it would be out of the goodness of his heart wink.gif

Another thing to know is that SEs usually will have a lot of lobangs to get these items done up at discounted rates since they act as referers to the vendors. SEs need lobangs to as to reduce freeby cost hence maximise their own commission. So it is good for you to check with your SE if he is not gonna do it for you, perhaps he can get you a discounted rate and you do it yourself. Please also double check his price in the market at forums or cold calls just to verify that there is a genuine discount. Good luck.

Neutral Newbie

hey thank alot for the advice.. think i will try my luck with the mud flaps.. u guys also driving the optra5? hope i did not make the wrong choice man... fell for the optra5 after testing driving practically the whole of leng kee.. [dizzy] went totally for the feel of the car.. quiet n smooth.. plus the fact that its rather rare still.. read up on the forum realise that the FC isnt that good like wat the SA said..

any input??

Neutral Newbie

Nah... FC is all under control by ur feet strength. I got FC as low as 8km+/L but tat's when I step all the way howeva, when my obedient feet activated, U will get at least 12km+/L. Also depend on the types of road u drove. Though 12km+/L consider poor to other Jap models, it's still gauge as reasonable as compared to korea or continental car. can assured u tat at high torque, Chevys' will definitely outshine the rest. [sly]

Neutral Newbie

Agree with brother Takanori.

I believe myself to have quite a light right foot. My FC has been fairly consistent at 11.3-11.5 km to the litre (about 70% city, 30% highway). Doesn't appear to fluctuate much.

I am approaching my 5K servicing soon and will be switching to motor oil 5W40 and changing spark plugs too. Hoping to see some improvement in the FC department with the changes.

While many other factors affect your FC e.g. driving pattern etc. the one true main factor is yourself; your driving style and driving discipline e.g accelerate gradually, try to constant rpm say about 2000rpm or at least below <2500rpm.

We all drive Optra5's in this thread and we assure you that you made a good decision. I am in love with my car and believe it to have the best features for any car in its class and price.

FC for this car is not an issue for me. Neither is the aircon as I also plan to get some window films soon.

I do wish it had more 3rd party accessories though like for Toyota Vios or Honda Civic but it already comes fairly well equipt and styled. And the shortage of 3rd party accesories probably saves us some $$$ also wink.gif

Congratulations on your acquisition. Maybe we see you at the next Group meetup.

Neutral Newbie

hey no probs man!! do include me when u guys having the next group meeting... whao! reading all these favourable feedback makes me wanna grab my optra5 now!! any optras' residing in the west area?? saw a cool black optra5 couple of nights ago... simply mouth watering..

Neutral Newbie

Hi Bro, i have recently taken a liking for the looks of the Optra5. Went for a test drive, really gd handling i must say, better than the Civic/Altis i drove before.

What is the actual weight of the car? I see 2 weight figures on the brochure, 1.2 ton & 1.6 ton. Which is the correct one? If the car is 1.6 tons is really too heavy i think [shocked]

Also is the fuel tank capacity 60L as stated? How much do u have to pump when the warning light comes on?

These are the issues that are bugging me now hope u can help [;)]

Neutral Newbie

im at jurong west... shall see when are u guys free to impart some knowledge to me and for me to 'steal' some skills from u guys.. haha.. im getting a silver optra5 and boy am i glad that its my first ride!!

This may not be completely relevant to original post, but DTC P0122 haunted me for months on my Canadian 2005 Chev Optra5 (sister car is Suzuki Reno / Forenza in USA), I would switch out sensors, the code would go out for a bit, then come back, I decided to get the transmission fluid changed at a reputable transmission garage, the mechanic said I also had a P1122 code. Anyway, since the tranny fluid was replaced the check engine light has stayed off, been 2 weeks. Worth doing anyway.

This may not be completely relevant to original post, but DTC P0122 haunted me for months on my Canadian 2005 Chev Optra5 (sister car is Suzuki Reno / Forenza in USA), I would switch out sensors, the code would go out for a bit, then come back, I decided to get the transmission fluid changed at a reputable transmission garage, the mechanic said I also had a P1122 code. Anyway, since the tranny fluid was replaced the check engine light has stayed off, been 2 weeks. Worth doing anyway.

Welcome to the forum. 

My previous 2004 Chevrolet Optra 1.6 ( and a few similar Optra I came across) had throttle body issue. 

A few had to remove the throttle body for cleaning and if not successful,  clean the throttle body. 

I "solve' the issue as follows

a)   always use Caltex w/ Techron petrol

b)   regular use of Caltex Techron Concentrate  or Redline SI-1 every 5000 km

c)   3M  throttle body cleaning about every 40,000 km

• Praise 1

My previous 2004 Chevrolet Optra 1.6 ( and a few similar Optra I came across) had throttle body issue. 

A few had to remove the throttle body for cleaning and if not successful,  clean the throttle body. 

I "solve' the issue as follows

a)   always use Caltex w/ Techron petrol

b)   regular use of Caltex Techron Concentrate  or Redline SI-1 every 5000 km

c)   3M  throttle body cleaning about every 40,000 km

Possible to cDIY clean the Throttle body?

Any diff in engine maintenance between using Caltex98 and Caltex95?......besides the RON rating.

Possible to cDIY clean the Throttle body?

Any diff in engine maintenance between using Caltex98 and Caltex95?......besides the RON rating.

DIY possible but never try before. 

IMHO,  Caltex98 may introduce more carbon in the lower compression Optra engine.  Maintenance would be to use an engine oil with better cleaning properties like PurePlus or ester-based synthetic. 

↡ Advertisement