• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
243 replies to this topic | 0 praises

Posted 20 May 2005 - 09:44 AM

Alyc
  • Alyc
    2nd Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Anyone using the hurricane high performance stainless steel standard panel air filter?

Feedbacks? gossip.gif gossip.gif gossip.gif

Posted 22 May 2005 - 12:55 AM

Sheltie2306
  • Sheltie2306
    3rd Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Ya, I tried and compared it with paper filter. With everything else unchanged, my injector duty cycle increase by about 5.7%, which means air flow increase by about the same amount, and so hopefully the bhp too. However, I donít know the filtration effect of this filter. Letís face the fact, any filter that flows better means lower filtration. Since I am after bhp, I had taken it, bearing in mind that I may ended up need to spend a substantial amount to clean up the engine sometime later.

Posted 23 May 2005 - 02:06 PM

Saaber
  • Premium member
    Saaber
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

so, good or not, any gain in torque?

Posted 23 May 2005 - 06:58 PM

Sheltie2306
  • Sheltie2306
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Well, for an air filte change, don't expect significant increase in torque and power. Sure won't feel anything one. If got extra cash, just buy and be happy with it lah.

Edited by Sheltie2306, 23 May 2005 - 06:59 PM.

Posted 23 May 2005 - 07:11 PM

Potheader
  • Potheader
    Supercharged
    Author Image

PM Darklord. He's on it. thumbsup.gif
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://thekangtang.blogspot.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted 23 May 2005 - 10:48 PM

Saaber
  • Premium member
    Saaber
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

ok, thanks. just the feedback i expected...

Posted 24 May 2005 - 05:04 PM

Vtim
  • Premium member
    Vtim
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Ya, I tried and compared it with paper filter. With everything else unchanged, my injector duty cycle increase by about 5.7%, which means air flow increase by about the same amount, and so hopefully the bhp too. However, I donít know the filtration effect of this filter. Letís face the fact, any filter that flows better means lower filtration. Since I am after bhp, I had taken it, bearing in mind that I may ended up need to spend a substantial amount to clean up the engine sometime later.  

not may, confirmed have to
宁可正而不足,不可邪而有余。
Me, Mr Alfarleyfordadai, A citizen of Sillypore, pledge myself to strike all the highest prize. Based on TOTO, 4D or BIG SWEEP. So as to achieve prizes, prosperity and progress for my 4 kids, wife and wallet. GOT BUY GOT HOPE, NO BUY NO HOPE. [/color][/b]
[/color]

Posted 24 May 2005 - 05:17 PM

Clubace
  • Clubace
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Does that mean frequent engine oil change would suffice?

Posted 24 May 2005 - 10:58 PM

Elfenstar
  • Premium member
    Elfenstar
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

No its different. the engine oil goes around the piston while the air and fuel go inside a piston. so the paticles will enter the piston.

"I drift not because it is a quicker way around a corner, but it is the most exciting way"
- Keiichi Tsuchiya

Posted 24 May 2005 - 11:29 PM

Vtim
  • Premium member
    Vtim
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Does that mean frequent engine oil change would suffice?  

nope, that won't do, it's the air intake part that will be dirty, from the air filter all the way to into the combustion chamber
宁可正而不足,不可邪而有余。
Me, Mr Alfarleyfordadai, A citizen of Sillypore, pledge myself to strike all the highest prize. Based on TOTO, 4D or BIG SWEEP. So as to achieve prizes, prosperity and progress for my 4 kids, wife and wallet. GOT BUY GOT HOPE, NO BUY NO HOPE. [/color][/b]
[/color]

Posted 25 May 2005 - 02:47 PM

Dwoon
  • Premium member
    Dwoon
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Errr....... what would happen if my injector duty cycle maxes out with the filter? Will I blow my engine? Any idea? Think I must be running at above 90% liao. sweatdrop.gif

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:24 PM

Lammy
  • Lammy
    Clutched
    Author Image

I guess with the Hurricane Stainless Steel Filter, you can reach 90+% in a faster timing. That will means improvement in BHP which I believe is what you want. thumbsup.gif
Right? sunny.gif

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:31 PM

Dwoon
  • Premium member
    Dwoon
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Actually, my injector duty cycle is already almost maxed out if I'm not wrong. Yes, I want more bhp but need to understand the effects of the filter. If its only the bhp or torque curve that gets steeper at lower rpm, then think its fine.

But from Sheltie's feedback that injector duty cycle increases by another 5.7% using the Hurricane filter, I'm afraid that something adverse would happen when I'm boosting and injectors can't squirt anymore when it's required. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Dwoon, 26 May 2005 - 08:32 PM.

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:37 PM

Lammy
  • Lammy
    Clutched
    Author Image

Its not going to be easy now. Cos you run almost maxed out. I need to rush off for delivery now... get back to you tonight.

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:41 PM

Dwoon
  • Premium member
    Dwoon
    6th Gear
    Author Image

OK, will await your advise/feedback later. Thanks.

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:45 PM

Elfenstar
  • Premium member
    Elfenstar
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Dwoon, you mentioned boosting... if ur injectors max out then your car AF ratio will lean out... bad idea... esp if you're midway through boost and don't realise your engine is pinging.

"I drift not because it is a quicker way around a corner, but it is the most exciting way"
- Keiichi Tsuchiya

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:49 PM

Dwoon
  • Premium member
    Dwoon
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Yes, That's what I feel too, that the AFR will start to lean out.

But I'm no expert in this area. Will the knock sensors sense this leaning out and compensate by retarding the timing?

Hmmm..... maybe if put it in then re-tune?

What's your take on this? Thanks.

Posted 26 May 2005 - 11:33 PM

Normal_aspirated
  • Premium member
    Normal_aspirated
    Supercharged
    Author Image

the O2 sensor will send the signal tat the AFR is leaner, so ECU will automatically increase fuel........resulting more shiock feelings. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif

Posted 26 May 2005 - 11:39 PM

Dennisk
  • Premium member
    Dennisk
    5th Gear
    Author Image

how you check your injector duty cycle? what does that mean?
Bravo Italia!

2004-2007- Mazda 323

Posted 27 May 2005 - 01:35 AM

Lammy
  • Lammy
    Clutched
    Author Image

Its probably thro a computer linking to the car computer or ECU. Its quite fun though looking at the data..

Back to Performance and Tuning  ·  Aftermarket Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: Hurricane, Stainless, Steel and 1 more...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users