Hurricane Stainless Steel Filter

Alyc

If you want to test very easy. Take your stock filter box out. Connect to vacuum cleaner. At least 2000W type and does not use bag. Dyson comes to mind.

1. Wash the dust collector with known water. Pour the water through filter funnel with filter paper. Collect the filter paper. This is your negative control 1.

2. Install the collector and start sucking air with no filter for xx min. Longer the better. Take collector out wash with water and collect water through filter funnel with filter paper. Keep the filter paper. This is negative control 2.

3. Hook up the filter box with stock filter. Start vacuum cleaner and run for the same xx min. Again wash with water and collect through filter paper. Keep filter paper and label this "stock filter".

4. Hook up the filter box with Hurricane. Start vacuum cleaner and run for the same xx min. Again wash with water and collect throguh filter paper. Keep filter paper and label this "Hurrican filter".

5. You can hook up K&N, APEXi or anything and repeat.

6. Dry the filter papers. Spread them out and take pictures. The one with the least dirt has the better filtration and the one with the most dirt has the poorest.

If you want numbers, you might need to put it through a particle counter but that is beyond the home lab. Best is to run the vacuum for 30min for each filter.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

6. Dry the filter papers. Spread them out and take pictures. The one with the least dirt has the better filtration and the one with the most dirt has the poorest.

Would like to point out that your assessment is totally wrong.....if filtration is good, the filter would trap more dirt, instead of what you point out above.....most dirt is the poorest......that would mean filtration is not good.....if it filters dirt ...it means that dirt is trapped onto the filter, not vice versa.......such a wrong perception......totally misleading !! Anyone care to second my view ??

[thumbsdown]

think u have misunderstood his experiment. from i gather, the filter paper is like the engine innards and serves to collect unfiltered particles which have bypassed the XXX brand air filter.

so filter paper with the least dirt means most of the dirt has been trapped by the XXX brand air filter -> good filtration properties.

right Genie? [sly]

Yes, you have interpreted this correctly. More dirt found in the vacuum cleaner's collection bin = the dirt got through the filter.

Neutral Newbie

Hi Guys,

Come by Autotrail 05 booth A33-34 for coffee and reception at 3pm, Saturday 6 Aug 05. All are invited.

Lammy

Neutral Newbie

If you take any KNN filter and look at it facing a good light source, you be surprised by the number of large pores scattered all over. These pores appear no less than 250 micron (1/4 mm). Perhaps, their filtration rating is based on normal distribution of particles penetration and never absolute effective particle obstruction.

You might not find so many large pores with Hurricane apparently, tho' both have almost similar spread manner of filter element.

Neutral Newbie

I can feel better throttle response and some power gain. I think it's worth buying as it is maintenance friendly. Unlike K&N filter, u need to apply special oil to the filter. With hurricane filter, all you have to do is wash it with water and dry it, that simple. I bought it at $105 and heard that they are going to jack up the price to $130 after our national day.

Nothing can beat the stock filters but even with stock filters, our local guys are finding stuff entering the engine. The air quality here is bad in the particulate department. The US car owners don't face much of this problem. Ironic that an industrialized nation has cleaner air than our tiny red dot.

Neutral Newbie

You want, I can get my hands on particle counter! [laugh] But it is 0.3 and 0.5microns! I think in 1 min, the counter will kaput! Lazer contaminated ! [:p]

↡ Advertisement