Toyota Fortuner

Robertoon

there was an article written on toyota fortuner a few weeks ago in ST and today as well. Can check it out if you want. If i'm not wrong, the journalist was questioning the BM rationale of bringing the fortuner instead of wish. I think overall it's not really a postive review, apart from the price which i think it's pretty low.

Here it is:

http://motoring.asiaone.com.sg/articles/F_...050622_001.html

↡ Advertisement

Very similar. Prado is also a 4x4 truck with 3.4 litre V6 engine so my comments on Fortuner above will apply to Prado as well. At least Prado has sufficient power to do what it is designed to handle i.e. off-road. With 2.7 litre enginer, Fortuner looks more like a pretender to me. Perhaps Toyota thinks Fortuner is exactly what Singapore need - an 4x4 SUV with min. off-road need and therefore fitted with a smaller enginer in order for it to sell.

(edited)
Hi Hi,

am considering Fortuner, went for test drive today. issit really tt bad a car to get? [:/]

Does this pic below look familiar???

post-2-1121009473_thumb.jpg

Edited by Firstcall

Hi Hi,

am considering Fortuner, went for test drive today. issit really tt bad a car to get? [:/]

NO it is not Fortuner's Interior!

It is Toyota HILUX, the pick-up truck.

So fancy paying almost 100k and one day you look down beside you, you see a Hilux pick-up truck having the same interior as yours... [smash] you get what i mean....

Hypersonic
(edited)

You will not get this type of interior in a Hilux here, only elsewhere. Hilux here is much more basic...how I know? Coz I am driving one.

I wish the Hilux here got this type of interior though. [:/]

Edited by Fcw75

Yeah. That's how the PIs are able to survive - to get what the customers want. They do have 3.4 Litres ones but not many on Singapore's road.

(edited)

yes, the attached is Thailand's specs. http://www.toyota.co.th/red/th/model/vigo_...y/photo_p13.htm

http://www.toyota.co.th/red/th/model/vigo_...cab4x4_home.htm

But the basic interior dashboard architecture is the same, only equipment, color and trim materials are different.

But I must say the dashboard of Hilux is good enuf to make many Jap/Korean sedan envious...

Edited by Firstcall

Neutral Newbie

kekeke... sure do hv lotsa neg feedback on the fortuner. [:/]

i guess, its jus for the exterior looks of it that caught my attention.... damn chio [:p]

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

I test drove the fortuner and the thing I liked about it was that it was a proper full time 4WD for under $100k. Contrary to what people have claimed, it isn't that big a car and isn't that hard to park, given that it's almost the same length as a camry (but looks bigger because of it's height and shorter overhangs) and wagons are generally eaier to reverse park because you know exactly where the car ends. It's incomparable to hybrids like the RX because it's meant to be a full time hardcore 4wd. In that regard, you can hardly fault the sometimes truck like handling. It does exactly what it purports to do. Further, it's got an adequate amount of torque so you aren't exactly struggling for power. That said, the fortuner is one ugly car (relative to the Landcruisers) and I cannot forgive the inadequate number of airbags (only 2 i believe), the drum brakes on the rear and the lack of a 5 speed gear box. The prado is a much better buy I reckon, but at the end of the day, you get what you pay for.

Edited by Timothyw

Hypersonic

You can also get this month Wheels magazine...they did a review on the Fortuner. Quite frankly, I like the looks too...very muscular looking. But I also cannot accept the fact that the rear is using drum brakes...gosh...dun know how it will haul the 1.8 tonnes beast to a halt. The reviewer mentioned that you had better brake early coz the brakes are quite weak.

It does exactly what it purports to do.

That I don't agree with. Borneo is positioning it as an alternative 7-seater, instead of a 4WD truck. How many Singaporeans need a truck?? They're buying into the image (whatever's so great about that image in the first place)!

Neutral Newbie

Rich singaporeans has no problem paying for a monster truck with Toyota brand.

Or do they just borrow more from the bank and be in debt for a truck ?

I can never understand how such big SUV can come with drum brakes!

How can cost cutting come in expense of safety? Even the new Grand Vitara comes with silly rear drum brakes!

Unfortunately most Singaporean buyer either are ignorant or couldn't care less....

My previous car an SUV was using rear drum brakes, and after a small accident which could have been avoided if the rear brakes are better... after that I'd never buy a car / SUV with drum brakes.