Twin surbo ..shud i or shudn't i

Wolverine

Guess you are right about the incorrect feel of things...used to use the cyclone or something like this, the car is alright at low speed but seems like choking during high speed.

Honestly, I'm still struggling to understand the technical aspect.

That's because it's totally rubbish. The surbo fails if you use oversize wheels? meaning that it doesn't work under pressure? and to say that the car's topspeed at end of 1st gear can be raised by 30km/h difference? This thing modifys gear ratios? really? wah! if really so good, I put TWIN Surbo I win Porsche liao!!!

This is a scam, it's rubbish, and definately cons you of your money.

Go dyno your car. then you'll see it for yourself.

Neutral Newbie
The surbo fails if you use oversize wheels? meaning that it doesn't work under pressure?

Wrong! If you buy oversized wheels, they don't expect you to appreciate surbo. [laugh]

[laugh]

for some reason people are willing to believe anything that'll make their car faster with relative minimal investment... wah... like dat I can manufacture something for $5, claim it saves fuel, increases bhp, and sell it for $20.

sxxt... I'll make a killing man!!!

Neutral Newbie

Well that might just be the boost the 100bhp Alfa 147 needs... to make it into the > 110bhp category lor [laugh]

Neutral Newbie

Actually The surbo IDEA is there... But when trying to put to PRACTICAL use, [shakehead][shakehead] .... They somewat trying to force feed the engine with more air...... [dizzy][dizzy]

But with more air, doesn't the engine need more fuel to burn as well... [hur][hur] How does tat save petrol??? [hur]

The surbo and cyclone wll do the same thing, that is to create a vortex.

Once the air flow starts to spin, they need to move faster to cover the same distance.

A faster air velocity leads to pressure drop or more vaccum effect - suck more air.

But between the surbo/cyclone to throttle body there must a certain distance for vortex to create e.g. at least 1 feet.

Even if surbo heng succeed, most probably is that he found the trick that to seal up all the pressure leaks which cyclone may not have.

Bring this idea as a post to Eng-Tips sure kenna hammered left-right-centre until come out with your pride hurt and your reputation in tatters. laugh.gif Some people there might suggest you to graduate from engineering school first. sly.gif

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Think of the problem this way. The engine is doing the "sucking". Compare using your mouth to suck through an open pipe and one with surbo/turbonator installed. What's the difference? Which one is easier to suck through?

My logical guess is that there's no noticeable difference if the sucking force is light. However, if you keep on increasing the suction, the one with obstruction will reach air flow limit faster. The one with two obstructions will be worse.

Surbo talks alot about "sealing the pressure leaks". Fact is, the factory setup does not have leaks. If there's a vacuum leak on your system, you need to plug it up to get better FC immediately.

In my opinion, the cyclone effect will only last 1 feet before air flows in their ideal flow pattern, straight through the pipe.

Edited by Zrun

(edited)
Well that might just be the boost the 100bhp Alfa 147 needs... to make it into the > 110bhp category lor [laugh]

whatever made you think the 147 was a 100bhp car? want to dyno mine? don't faint when you see the figures...

even the pre-facelifted 1.6 had 120bhp. after 4 standard mods, it hit 148bhp at wheels...

the new 147 1.6 on the other hand, is 105bhp. yep... heh... dat one I haven try yet. I tried the 2L one already...

Edited by Littleblackalfa