Jump to content

Premium member

The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.

Send Message | Find Content
Showing the last 5 topics.
View more topics by this user.

Topics I've Started

Overweight police officers in East Java go through..

Yesterday, 10:51 PM

Overweight police officers in East Java go through weight-loss programme




"Size does matter for the East Java Police as they are requiring that overweight officers go through a weight-loss programme at the State Police Academy (SPN) in Mojokerto, East Java.


The officers will go through a variety of activities designed to reduce body fat for 10 days.

Fifty personnel from each East Java Police unit will take part in the programme from July 15 to 26, according to East Java Police spokesman Sr. Comr. Frans Barung Mangera.


"It's a programme to lower your body mass index (BMI) for overweight and obese personnel," Frans was quoted by kompas.com.


During the programme, the personnel must undergo activities aimed at reducing body fat such as running, wearing a parachute jacket, long marches, aerobic gymnastics, swimming and other sports.


Aside from physical activities, personnel also receive psychological guidance.


"Through guidance from nutritionists and medical experts provided by East Java Police, dietary habits and menus are adjusted to help reach the goal of this programme," said Frans.


The aim of the programme is for East Java police officers to provide better service.


"[So the police] are quicker and nimble in serving the public," Frans added.

92 children in China burned by TCM treatment gone wrong

Yesterday, 02:30 PM

92 children in China burned by TCM treatment gone wrong






A hospital in Jiangxi, China, has recently suspended a traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) therapy after 92 children suffered from burns after receiving the treatment.


Known as sanfutie (三伏贴), the treatment usually involves applying medicated patches on various acupuncture points on the patient's back to treat illnesses.


According to Chinese media, 881 children received the treatment from July 12 to 13.

With Jiangxi Provincial Hospital's reputation as a trustworthy and top-tier medical facility, the therapy was highly anticipated by parents, said a mother, Wu Meng (pseudonym), whose daughter and son received the treatment.


10 minutes after application of sanfutie, however, her daughter "could not bear it any longer and ripped off the medicinal patch," she said.


Meanwhile, her son bore the brunt of the effects of the treatment which lasted for two hours.


By night time, his skin started to turn red. The boy cried constantly, was unable to eat and maintained a high fever for 20 hours, Wu told Red Star News.


According to investigations, the reason behind the children's adverse skin reactions to the TCM treatment was a change in the formula of the herbal paste that was used.


Young ginger was replaced with old ginger and the alcohol concentration of the paste was increased from 56° to 62°.


Hospital staff had believed that the new formula would be more effective.


Instead, the 'improved' formula saw children suffering adverse skin reactions, ranging from redness and swelling of the skin, blisters, broken skin, to burns.


Parents have appealed to the hospital to conduct an examination to prove that the treatment has no toxic side effects, and publish the components of the herbal paste, so as to reveal whether it contained any harmful ingredients.


They also asked that the hospital allow affected children to stay at the hospital for treatment, as well as provide appropriate compensation.


Meanwhile, the Provincial Administration of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Provincial Health Commission has instructed the hospital to dismiss the staff responsible for the incident and also provide sufficient follow-up treatment for the affected children.


Such an incident is not the first of its kind.


Red Star News reporters have discovered that many hospitals in Guangdong, Shandong, Henan, and other places have promoted sanfutie treatment.


Patients who underwent the treatment at said hospitals also suffered from burns.




1-month-old baby dies on full month celebration

18 July 2019 - 02:08 PM

1-month-old baby dies on full month celebration after grandfather gives him alcohol





Tragedy befell a family recently when a newborn baby died after his grandfather fed him a sip of alcohol, on his first-month celebration. The incident shows the dangers of giving alcohol to a baby, even in tiny amounts.


According to an article on Sin Chew Daily on 12 July 2019, the incident happened in Beijing, China. Many friends and relatives had turned up at the baby's full month celebration, which is traditionally held to bless the child and celebrate the arrival of a new member of the family.


The child's paternal grandfather was apparently carrying him when he proposed a toast to his relatives. Things took a rather weird turn when one of the relatives joked that the grandfather couldn't drink if the baby didn't drink.


The grandfather fell for the taunt, he grabbed a cup of alcohol and gave the baby a sip, to "save his face".


When the child's mother got to know what had happened, she was furious. She grabbed her baby back into her arms. But the damage had been done. The baby became breathless after just 30 minutes.


He was rushed to the hospital, but hospital staff were unable to save the little one.

Doctors found out that, the cause of the child's death was alcohol poisoning. "Babies cannot drink alcohol, how can you treat a child's life as if it's a joke?" they asked the grandfather.


It has been reported that the baby's heartbroken mum was unable to believe what had happened, and she slapped her father-in-law multiple times.


Apparently, the mum had been ill-treated by her in-laws previously, because she was unable to conceive even after 3 years of marriage. Things got better only after she was blessed with a baby boy.


Fate though had other plans.


According to a report by Dr Taylor McCormick (Department of Emergency Medicine, Los Angeles County & University of Southern California Medical Center), babies appear to metabolise alcohol faster than adults.


Alcohol affects the central nervous system. Children's bodies absorb alcohol quickly, and this can occur in less than 30 minutes. Symptoms of alcohol poisoning in babies can include difficulty breathing, reduced activity, and seizures. Some studies have also found a risk for low blood sugar.


The long-term effects on the baby are unclear. However, breathing difficulties could deprive the baby's brain of oxygen, possibly causing brain damage.


In the case of breastfeeding mothers, the CDC recommends that not drinking alcohol is the safest option.


Generally, moderate alcohol consumption by a breastfeeding mother (up to 1 standard drink per day) is not known to be harmful to the infant. However, the mother should wait for at least 2 hours after a single drink before breastfeeding her baby. Breast milk will contain alcohol as long as alcohol is still in the mother's bloodstream.


Alcohol levels are usually highest in breast milk 30-60 minutes after alcohol is consumed. The length of time alcohol can be detected in breast milk will increase the more alcohol a mother consumes. For example, alcohol from 1 drink can be detected in breast milk for about 2-3 hours, alcohol from 2 drinks can be detected for about 4-5 hours, and alcohol from 3 drinks can be detected for about 6-8 hours, and so on.


Exposure to alcohol above moderate levels through breast milk can damage an infant's development, growth, and sleep patterns. High alcohol consumption can also impair a mother's judgment and ability to safely care for her child. Over time, excessive alcohol consumption can also lead to decreased milk production.



This article was first published in theAsianparent. 



Global social learning community

19 May 2019 - 09:21 PM

hi all,


ask more. learn more. know faster.


chanced on this website a few weeks ago and it is very useful. My own kids find it useful. 


Students from around the word come tog to share knowledge and solve problems. Students bring their own special skills to share and collaborate to learn together. Good app for your growing kids and teenagers. Do check it out. 




Samsung launches folding smartphone, first 5G handset

21 February 2019 - 08:45 AM

The Galaxy Fold, unveiled at a San Francisco event, serves as a smartphone with a 4.6-inch display and unfolds to become a tablet of 7.3 inches.


SAN FRANCISCO: Seeking to rev up demand in the slumping smartphone market, Samsung on Wednesday (Feb 20) unveiled a folding handset, becoming the first major manufacturer to offer the feature.

The South Korean giant also appeared to get the jump on rivals by announcing the first device for fifth-generation, or 5G wireless networks, one of four versions of its flagship smartphone, while stepping up its efforts in artificial intelligence and wearables.


The Galaxy Fold, unveiled at a San Francisco event, serves as a smartphone with a 4.6-inch display and unfolds to become a tablet of 7.3 inches.


"We are giving you a device that doesn't just define a new category, it defies category," said Samsung's Justin Denison at the event.


The Fold will be available on Apr 26 starting at US$1,980, the company said.


Samsung also announced its new Galaxy S10 handset, upgrading its current line of flagship handsets including one 5G device, getting a jump on rivals expected to make similar announcements at next week's Mobile World Congress.


Read more at https://www.channeln...rst-5g-11269918