New Audi A3

Azure

Neutral Newbie

Audi had released the new audi A3 ... full text and many more pictures available at

http://news.kak.net/modules.php?op=modload...article&sid=559

My initial impression is the side view looks sensational, BUT the front reminds me of the Hyundai Elantra and the rear looks like a old Daewoo. The interior is so-so and looks kinda "cheap" as compared to the VW Touran, especially the air-con. What the hell is happening in Audi???

post-3-1044422089_thumb.jpg

post-3-1044422090_thumb.jpg

post-3-1044422091_thumb.jpg

post-3-1044422092_thumb.jpg

post-3-1044422093_thumb.jpg

post-3-1044422094_thumb.jpg

post-3-1044422095_thumb.jpg

post-3-1044422096_thumb.jpg

post-3-1044422097_thumb.jpg

post-3-1044422098_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement

I think the interior looks fine, if a little boring (but thank God for those TT-inspired air vents [thumbsup]) And neither would I worry about the quality being "cheap", unless they just fired their entire QC team and hired Perodua's instead [lipsrsealed]

If anything, Audi has stuck with its conservative design evolution, while incorporating some new touches, such as what I call the "Pischetsrieder grille" (Bernd Pischetsrieder was ex-BMW and now heads VW, who of course owns Audi) In any case, I'd take hansome evolution anytime over needless revolution - BMW anyone? [laugh]

The headlights too closely resemble the new Ibiza's though...

post-3-1044436761_thumb.jpg

Edited by Seansene

Neutral Newbie

Hi

For the interior bits, I was comparing it with the VW Touran (both of them are sister cars) - check out the pics posted sometime back and you will know what I mean. However, I do agree that TT-style air-con vent is cool.

I am a big fan of Audi - I drive a A3 1.6 and my uncle drives a Audi TT quattro. I like the side profile of the new A3 but the front design is a bit disappointing, especially those angry headlights. They look similar to those from the new ibiza, as the current Audi chief designer, Walter de Silva is the guy who penned the new ibiza and also previously, the Alfa 156 and the backside of 147. If you look closely at the recent Audi pikes peak concept, the ass is 156/147 inspired. The newer Audis is expected to look like Alfa in the future.

I know there are many forumers here who are fans of alfa 147/156, but to be honest, I feel that he is messing up the good work done by the previous Audi design chief, Peter Schreyer - somehow Audi's successful germanic industrial design and italian flair doesn't really flow together.

Neutral Newbie

Hi Azure,

Saw ur blue baby at great World City sometime back, still a beauty [laugh]

Agreed with you, the new A3 look too "un-Audi like". I feel that it's getting too feminine (dun flame me, please [sweatdrop] )

But yearn to see how they gonna soup up the S3.

..... [rolleyes][:)]

Ooooo... lucky you, got to try your uncle's ride? [sly] Audi's seem to run in the family, eh?

And I have to agree with you, Mr de Silva seems to be sticking with one style.

Neutral Newbie

Hi Mel!

Nice to hear from you !! very paiseh, long time no see! Thanks for the compliment! You got a nice ride too (from imagestation)!

Although the new A3 looks a bit grumpy on the front, but when come to trade-in time, probably will be on the number 1 on the list again. Too bad that the 1.8T is gone and 2.0 FSI version is not likely to make an appearance soon, probably due to our inferior fuel quality. So it's only 8v 1.6 as 3.2 V6 is expensive to run. Most likely will wait until 2005 when the 5 door avant version is available [sunny] and by then more engine choices !!

The S3 will be probably bw a soup-up version of the 3.2L V6, without any turbo-charging, power will be 280 bhp. There is a strong possibility that RS3 will make a appearance in 2005/6 with the turbocharged 3.2L producing 350 bhp.

Neutral Newbie

Hi Seansene,

No, have not try my uncle's TT ... he lives in Melbourne [thumbsup] . Will be visiting him next month [laugh] ... last year when I was there, I try his BMW 325 [:)][:)]

Just read from AutoExpress website that Walter de Silva wants to completely "shake up" Audi design!!! Another Chris Bangle?

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

good to hear from you again......saw that you managed to source the "Audi Logo" centre cap [thumbsup].

Well, looking forward to see what's inline for the local market in A3 family.

Actually, had a fetish with the RS4 Avant [inlove] .......

[bigcry][bigcry][bigcry] Toto/Big Sweep.....here I come !!

Neutral Newbie

I got the "Audi logo" hub cap stickers from Stamford Tyre in Jurong while doing tyre rotation [:)] All thanks to a "Professor", a VW Bora owner in myveedub [thumbsup]

Talk about RS4, I saw a black one in Anglesea, a coastal town in Melbourne last year. I managed to park my rented "I-hate-the-twisty-great-ocean-road" Corolla behind this RS4 and take a closer look at it. It was a awesome, mean looking car with 19 inch BBS, especially from the front. I am not the only one salivating over it as a couple of blokes were there "inspecting" it as well.

Actually, my favourite is the current A4 avant [thumbsup] - it was used as Premium Auto's mobile assist vehicle and had a chance to look-see-look-see (it was a quattro manual), while changing a flat battery. Unfortunately, according to the nice Audi technician, there is no plans to sell the avant [:(]

Nope, no concept car. In fact, it's very much on sale in Europe. Check out the following pics. [inlove]

Of course, we lucky ones in S'pore will probably never see the likes of it..... [shakehead]

post-3-1044840927_thumb.jpg

post-3-1044840928_thumb.jpg

post-3-1044840929_thumb.jpg

The A2 is Audi's version of the A-class, but built to a better quality and with the weight benefits of using an aluminium spaceframe chassis. Unfotunately it's pretty expensive to manufacture and shares this advanced chassis with no-one else, so the new VW head Bernd Pischetsrieder intends to kill it off...

Neutral Newbie

I think Premium Auto has try to bring in the A2 to Singapore but it never took off, probably due to factory supply problem. My wife really likes the A2, and for me, I think the color storm series look very cool, especially with those RS4 style alloys and bumped up wheel arches [thumbsup]

post-3-1044871893_thumb.jpg