ICU Experience

RickyWee

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/days-in-icu-scariest-of-my-life

image.png.6a9ca50e549d786d9d2c95a1c6705f2a.png

This Coronavirus patient in Singapore shares his experience of being in ICU. He told The Straits Times that it was the scariest of his life. He talks about what happened to him, when he fell sick and his thought process throughout the entire process. He also mentioned about all the support he and his family is given. He ended off by reminding people not to assume you are safe as everyone can get the virus regardless if you go to entertainment venues or engage in outside activities after work. He also experienced how medical workers (our front line heroes😥) risk their lives just to help save lives and how they kept giving him positive comments to help him survive this difficult journey.

Everything happened so fast after his diagnosis, he said. 

"Just before I was wheeled into ICU, I quickly sent a text message to my wife to tell her I love her and I love our son," he recounted.

"In ICU, I was given sedatives to facilitate the intubation procedure in order to be connected to a ventilator. I woke up one day later and found six tubes on me - one in my mouth, one in my nose, one on my neck and three on my hands.

"I couldn't speak and the only way for me to communicate with the doctors and nurses was through writing. I was given some paper and a pen to communicate with them."

On the sixth day, a video call was arranged for Mr Koh and his family.

"Even though I couldn't talk as I still had the tube in my throat, I felt so relieved to see my wife and son," he said.

Tears flowed during the short 10-minute call. "I gave them a thumbs up, to tell them that I was doing well," said Mr Koh.

"My wife forwarded a lot of messages to me and I was so comforted to see how much support my bosses and colleagues had given them."

OCBC Group chief executive officer Samuel Tsien called his wife to check in on her, and told her that she is "part of the OCBC extended family". They also bought groceries for her and offered to bring her food daily during her quarantine.

"My handphone had hundreds of messages from friends who sent me their prayers."

Mr Koh's wife, 44, who declined to be named, said: "There was a lot of anxiety, especially when my son and I had to be quarantined and I couldn't be at the hospital with my husband, who was so sick.

"People came and left food outside our door as we couldn't go out to get our own food. It was the support from family, friends and colleagues that helped me through those two weeks."

"The experience let me see up close how the medical workers put themselves at risk to save lives. Every day, someone would say to me, you need to get well soon so you can go back to your family. They were so positive and their words of encouragement helped me survive this ordeal," said Mr Koh.

"I never thought I would get the virus because I don't go to entertainment venues or engage in outside activities after work. So don't assume you are safe. Anyone can catch the virus anywhere."

Edited by RickyWee
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/sedated-and-hallucinating-he-finally-won-his-battle-against-virus

image.png.bce8ae0d383dc32a51987928cb0fb1a3.png

A 55-year old man (case 119) won his battle against coronavirus after 13 days in ICU.

Visions of a strange office. Dreams in an unfamiliar language. Breathing through a tube.

It was a nightmare that he had just woken from - except he was fighting for his life.

For several days, Case 119 was sedated and hallucinating, until he finally won his battle against the coronavirus.

The 55-year-old, who had no travel history to any affected country and wishes to be known only as Ben, spent 13 days in the intensive care unit (ICU) of Alexandra Hospital (AH).

Doctors say that 80 per cent of the patients infected by the coronavirus suffer only mild symptoms. Only 5 per cent of the cases turn out to be as severe as Ben's, who literally had to fight for his life.

He was so touched by the treatment he received that he returned to the hospital last Friday to thank the staff. Here is an account of his struggle.

↡ Advertisement