Class 5 Driving Course

ScottyWittyKow

Hi all, previously I had mentioned in another post about I wished to take up a Class 5 driving course. Here I am creating another post, mentioning about Class 5 driving course.

In Jan 2022, I registered myself for Class 4 driving course and managed to pass on the 2nd try in Mar 2022. So this time round, I decided to register for Class 5 driving course on 30 Dec 2022 to avoid the 8% GST. There is a $10+ differences between 7% GST and 8% GST.

Actually, there are not much differences between Class 4 and Class 5, in terms of registrations, procedures, theory lessons etc.

As usual, I tried to searched online pertaining to Class 5 driving course without much information. 

When I went down to SSDC for registration on 30 Dec 2022, the crowd on that day was very heavy. Literally have to wait for 2 hours before my turn to register. Before my turn, I already set my mind to register under SSDC (refer to the attached how the booklet looks like), as previously I registered in 2022 under PCDC for my Class 4 but was not really happy with their teaching style and their instructors. 

There will be 5 practical lessons, 1 theory lesson, 1 Traffic Police (TP) practical test for Class 5 driving course.

So luckily for me, there is still available slot for Class 5 under SSDC. Same as Class 4, you have to pay the entire lump sum of the course fee for Class 5 course. The total course fee for Class 5 was SGD 1,169.02. Unfortunately, the TP timing I only left with 4:30pm.

There are not much choices during the registration. 4:30pm is not my ideal timing for TP due to bus lane hours in 30 minstime. But the lady behind the counter mentioned that there are not much options for Feb 2023 and Mar 2023 also not available for learner to opt. Hence, no choice but have to take up 4:30pm. 

One good thing is that the dates for my practical lessons I choose back to back and the very next day is the TP. The dates for my lessons are 06, 07, 08 Feb 2023. 09 Feb is my TP date. 

One bad thing is that all my 5 practical lessons are all evening and night timings. There are no available slots for daytime at all.

The followings are my time table for the Class 5 lessons:

1 theory lesson for 19 Jan 2023 (100 mins, usually ends around 1 hour)

2 lessons for 06 Feb 2023 (6:20pm to 9:50pm)

2 lessons for 07 Feb 2023 (6:20pm to 9:50pm)

1 lesson for 08 Feb 2023 (8:10pm)

TP test on 09 Feb 2023 (4:30pm)

All these lessons are back to back, with 10 mins break in between, except for the 08 Feb 2023 with only 1 lesson. 

For theory lesson, it is the same as Class 4 which I attended last year. You will be provided a list of highway code with all the mandatory and warning road signs. After the TP test ends, the TP tester will test you on the road signs and you need to explain to them what are the road signs means. This is part of the requirement for Class 4/5.

When I went to theory lesson on 19 Jan 2023, the instructor told me if I can still remember the highway verbal codes, I can no need to attend the theory lesson. But I told him since I am here already, I might as well listen to the theory lesson as I need to understand the height limit of the Class 5 vehicle, the do’s and the don’t’s etc. 

The test components for Class 5 are Vertical Parking, Slope, Directional Change, V-course, S-course, Crank Course, Height estimation of the vehicle, driving outside road for U-turns, Right turns etc and Verbal Highway codes.

Good things about Class 5 TP test are: Candidates no need to perform Parallel Parking and no need to test on the rope tying techniques. For Class 4, rope tying and height estimation will be tested during TP.

For Class 5 SSDC vehicle, the standard height from the top of the boom to the ground road is 3.6 metres.

Height estimation for Class 4/5 is very simple. TP tester will use a pole, with marking on the pole itself and bring up to the top of the vehicle and ask you to estimate the height of the vehicle + length of the pole where the marking ends. In theory, it is difficult to understand (refer to the attached).

As you can see the thin yellow line, the height for this Class 5 vehicle is 3.6 metres, measuring from top of the boom to the ground. Have to remember by heart because PCDC Class 5 vehicle is different height. 

The pole will have markings. Imagine the yellow and black markings is the pole. One marking to the other marking is 0.5 metres. As you can see in the picture, the pole is place in such position that from the tip of the pole till the marking on the pole with the top of the boom is 1.5 metres. So you need to add up the 2 values (3.6 + 1.5 = 5.1 metres, blue thin arrow).

Sorry my drawings isn’t that good but hope you can understand the concept behind. 

TP testers will randomly place the pole in any height they want and expect the answer. It is alright if you need to use calculator or write down the figures to calculate. Please don’t panick and say the wrong values because the demerit points varies between 2 to 8 points (refer to the attached).

I will update more stories thereafter when I starts my lesson on the 06 Feb 2023. Meanwhile, stay safe and healthy.

9939F8E9-2F9E-48B6-BF39-C1013E2929D3.png

413FB812-25D8-4CA6-B17A-1F7D615B08BC.jpeg

CE11ECBE-2BDC-4BC8-9D14-E399996BBAC2.jpeg

Edited by ScottyWittyKow
Add-on information
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Neutral Newbie

Thanks for starting this new thread, and providing a very detailed description.

From your description, it seems like there's a large overlap between the Class 5 and the Class 4 course. Is the Class 5 vehicle significantly longer than the Class 4 vehicle?

Edited by AhSeng65

4 hours ago, AhSeng65 said:

Thanks for starting this new thread, and providing a very detailed description.

From your description, it seems like there's a large overlap between the Class 5 and the Class 4 course. Is the Class 5 vehicle significantly longer than the Class 4 vehicle?

@AhSeng65 - Actually the length of Class 4 and 5 vehicles are about the same. The actual measurement I am not sure because they also didnt states during theory lesson.

The differences between the 2 classes is mainly Class 4 are classified as heavy vehicle with unladen weight more than 2,500 kg and used to transport goods and passengers, while Class 5 are classified as heavy vehicles not constructed to carry any loads / passengers and unladen weight is more than 7,250 kg. 

Class 5 vehicles used to carry cranes that are built in onto the rear of the trucks. The mobile cranes are not easily be removed from the trucks, unlike unloading of goods. 

Last time, Class 4 are stated as heavy vehicles with unladen weight more than 2,500 kg but less than 7,250kg, which means there is a cap limit of the unladen weight.

But now, Class 4 are stated as heavy vehicles with unladen weight more than 2,500 kg.

This means currently for Class 4 vehicles, there is no limit of the unladen weight, as long as it is more than 2,500 kg unladen weight (Refer to attached). You can drive any vehicles with unladen weight 10 tonnes, 20 tonnes, 50 tonnes etc..

7ED140B9-FD2D-4C84-9756-C0DC34BDDB80.jpeg

Neutral Newbie
On 1/22/2023 at 11:26 PM, ScottyWittyKow said:

@AhSeng65 - Actually the length of Class 4 and 5 vehicles are about the same. The actual measurement I am not sure because they also didnt states during theory lesson.

The differences between the 2 classes is mainly Class 4 are classified as heavy vehicle with unladen weight more than 2,500 kg and used to transport goods and passengers, while Class 5 are classified as heavy vehicles not constructed to carry any loads / passengers and unladen weight is more than 7,250 kg. 

Class 5 vehicles used to carry cranes that are built in onto the rear of the trucks. The mobile cranes are not easily be removed from the trucks, unlike unloading of goods. 

Last time, Class 4 are stated as heavy vehicles with unladen weight more than 2,500 kg but less than 7,250kg, which means there is a cap limit of the unladen weight.

But now, Class 4 are stated as heavy vehicles with unladen weight more than 2,500 kg.

This means currently for Class 4 vehicles, there is no limit of the unladen weight, as long as it is more than 2,500 kg unladen weight (Refer to attached). You can drive any vehicles with unladen weight 10 tonnes, 20 tonnes, 50 tonnes etc..

Thanks for your detailed reply. From your description of the test components and from the vehicle pictures you posted, it would appear that the Class 5 course would not be too different from the Class 4 course?

1 hour ago, AhSeng65 said:

Thanks for your detailed reply. From your description of the test components and from the vehicle pictures you posted, it would appear that the Class 5 course would not be too different from the Class 4 course?

@AhSeng65 - When driving Class 5 vehicle, one must perform double clutching. Meaning to say, one must clutch in, shift gear lever from 1st gear to neutral, clutch out, clutch in again, shift gear lever from neutral to 2nd gear. 

This applies for all gears and changing down of gears (Double de-clutching).

The main reason is that the Class 5 vehicles are using the unsynchronized manual transmission, thats why must perform double de-clutching methods. You may check the link below for more information.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_clutching_(technique)

Other than that, not much differences for Class 4 and 5 TP test. Class 4 no need to perform double clutching technique.

Neutral Newbie
4 hours ago, ScottyWittyKow said:

@AhSeng65 - When driving Class 5 vehicle, one must perform double clutching. Meaning to say, one must clutch in, shift gear lever from 1st gear to neutral, clutch out, clutch in again, shift gear lever from neutral to 2nd gear. 

This applies for all gears and changing down of gears (Double de-clutching).

The main reason is that the Class 5 vehicles are using the unsynchronized manual transmission, thats why must perform double de-clutching methods. You may check the link below for more information.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_clutching_(technique)

Other than that, not much differences for Class 4 and 5 TP test. Class 4 no need to perform double clutching technique.

The need for double de-clutch is a deal-breaker for me. Already had trouble with normal manual gear, having driven an automatic car for many many years. It wasn't so much that I didn't know how to change gear, it was more because I was unable to do it smoothly while having to execute other tasks. Was not able to adapt fast enough in just a few lessons.

(edited)
45 minutes ago, AhSeng65 said:

The need for double de-clutch is a deal-breaker for me. Already had trouble with normal manual gear, having driven an automatic car for many many years. It wasn't so much that I didn't know how to change gear, it was more because I was unable to do it smoothly while having to execute other tasks. Was not able to adapt fast enough in just a few lessons.

@AhSeng65 - I came to realise about double clutching when I took my Class 4 last year as both Class 4 and Class 5 shared the same TP assessment checklist in the booklet. 

There is this portion indicating ‘Fail to perform double clutching’ and worth 2 demerits points for 1 such mistake. 

Frankly, it is something I had never done before, so let me go for my practical lessons and update in this new post. 

Hopefully I don’t screw it up when learning double clutching. 😬

At least if you are driving constantly, your driving skills should be up there and improving. For me, I don’t own a car and don’t drive regularly. Hence, my skills might not be as skillful as those regular drivers.

Edited by ScottyWittyKow
Amendment

Neutral Newbie
41 minutes ago, ScottyWittyKow said:

@AhSeng65 - I came to realise about double clutching when I took my Class 4 last year as both Class 4 and Class 5 shared the same TP assessment checklist in the booklet. 

There is this portion indicating ‘Fail to perform double clutching’ and worth 2 demerits points for 1 such mistake. 

Frankly, it is something I had never done before, so let me go for my practical lessons and update in this new post. 

Hopefully I don’t screw it up when learning double clutching. 😬

At least if you are driving constantly, your driving skills should be up there and improving. For me, I don’t own a car and don’t drive regularly. Hence, my skills might not be as skillful as those regular drivers.

Good luck with your lessons and TP test! Please keep us posted!

(edited)

Hi all. Sad to say I just failed my TP for Class 5 today with a total of 28 points, 0 immediate failure. Well actually, this TP, I am not very nervous but somehow I guessed back to back lessons are not very good either, which is what I did for the 5 lessons from 6,7,8 Feb. 9 Feb is the TP.

So for the TP today, circuit wise I did pretty good, except for some minor mistakes here and there. It is the outside road that makes me fail, with veer course, lane changing abruptly. This tester seems ok but always ask me to drive faster. 

Anyway, for Class 5, the demand is very low. So there is only 1 truck available in SSDC. And somehow I am used to this vehicle already. 

And one more thing about Class 5 is that no need to perform double clutching when driving. This process obsolete from Mar 2021 according to one of the instructor. 

Will book again for my retest soon. 

Edited by ScottyWittyKow
Amendment

(edited)
1 hour ago, AhSeng65 said:

So if there's no need for double de-clutch, how different does driving the Class 4 and Class 5 feel?

@AhSeng65 - Basically Class 4 and Class 5 turning radius are about the same. The differences between these 2 classes are height of the vehicle. Class 5 SSDC has a boom, which makes the total height of 3.6m. Class 4 vehicle don’t have a boom. So driving Class 4 is much easier than Class 5. 

So that means when driving Class 5 vehicle in circuit, must always check the boom when turning because the boom may hit the ceiling of the pillar if drive too near.

And also, driving a Class 5 must always check the boom when driving past a traffic light, overhead bridge. Basically anything that got 4.5 m height limit signs, must always check the boom, even though the boom wont hit lah. But is for safety check.

And also driving Class 5, must try to drive faster even though it is a heavy vehicle. Speed limit for Class 5 is 50km/h. I was penalised twice just now for speed too slow. 

Edited by ScottyWittyKow
Amendment

Neutral Newbie
On 2/9/2023 at 5:48 PM, ScottyWittyKow said:

Hi all. Sad to say I just failed my TP for Class 5 today with a total of 28 points, 0 immediate failure. Well actually, this TP, I am not very nervous but somehow I guessed back to back lessons are not very good either, which is what I did for the 5 lessons from 6,7,8 Feb. 9 Feb is the TP.

So for the TP today, circuit wise I did pretty good, except for some minor mistakes here and there. It is the outside road that makes me fail, with veer course, lane changing abruptly. This tester seems ok but always ask me to drive faster. 

Anyway, for Class 5, the demand is very low. So there is only 1 truck available in SSDC. And somehow I am used to this vehicle already. 

And one more thing about Class 5 is that no need to perform double clutching when driving. This process obsolete from Mar 2021 according to one of the instructor. 

Will book again for my retest soon. 

Hope your 2nd test pass, keep praying.

and for Class 5 demand is indeed low because it’s usually mainly use for construction sites or carrying super long/huge things. Also Class 5 vehicles more to company owned and park on certain areas like in the company building compound, cause may be too long in width and length to park at any Heavy Vehicle park. 

Good that there’s no more double cluctching, can’t imagine how is it like haha! 

On 7/31/2023 at 12:01 PM, Terence_Tay said:

@ScottyWittyKow DId you pass your class 5?

Hi. Well, I didnt pass the 2nd time. I stop for the time being. 2nd time was around mid-Apr 2023. I was thinking to carry on Jan 2024 before my PDL expires around Jan 2024.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

@ScottyWittyKow Sorry to hear that. Dont give up. So hard to pass class 5? If you take such a long break, will you be at a disadvantage when you retake the test ? Because you are only required to book 1 refresher lesson. Wanted to do class 5 but it seems an impossible task. Any tips?

Edited by Terence_Tay

On 7/31/2023 at 2:19 PM, Terence_Tay said:

@ScottyWittyKow So hard to pass class 5? If you take such a long break, will you be at a disadvantage when you retake the test ? Because you are only required to book 1 refresher lesson. Wanted to do class 5 but it seems an impossible task. Any tips?

@Terence_Tay - Yes indeed quite hard to pass. Both testers also quite strict that time I took 2 tests. 

Anyway, if I retake my Class 5 TP, I will book a few more lessons. 

I will only say Class 4 and 5 quite different in terms of the obstacles and safety checks because Class 5 in front got the boom. Testers are very particular of the boom checking during test.

Tips? Perhaps can consider taking up Class 5 right after your Class 4, because at least you wont forget the lessons learnt during your Class 4. In addition, GST next year 9%, you wont want to pay more when the fee is already exorbitant high. 

On 7/31/2023 at 3:04 PM, ScottyWittyKow said:

@Terence_Tay - Yes indeed quite hard to pass. Both testers also quite strict that time I took 2 tests. 

Anyway, if I retake my Class 5 TP, I will book a few more lessons. 

I will only say Class 4 and 5 quite different in terms of the obstacles and safety checks because Class 5 in front got the boom. Testers are very particular of the boom checking during test.

Tips? Perhaps can consider taking up Class 5 right after your Class 4, because at least you wont forget the lessons learnt during your Class 4. In addition, GST next year 9%, you wont want to pay more when the fee is already exorbitant high. 

Bro I thought you have completed Class 5 already. Don't give up! The tip you given have help me get my class 5!

↡ Advertisement