Octaviafan Neutral Newbie July 2, 2002 Share July 2, 2002 I have recently learned an expensive lesson that I think is worthy of sharing with others, just in case you guys come across the same situation and are thinking of the same solution. Just don't do what I did! I recently parked my car somewhere ??? and a few days later, noticed hardened tree sap all over my windscreen, both front and rear. It couldn't be removed with detergent and no matter how hard I rubbed it with the wash cloth, it wouldn't come off. Fortunately, the sap didn't stick to the painted surfaces or the plastic parts. I suspect its the wax that prevented it for adhering. Anyway, I decided to try cleaning it off with a 3M scouring wool and that was my biggest mistake. Even with lots of water and soap, the scouring wool is extremely abrasive and it left several fine scratches on the front windscreen. Fortunately, I did stop to check the results before moving on to work on the rear windshield. That prevented me from suffering greater financial pain. As I couldn't live with the scratches, I decided to have the windscreen replaced. It costed me a bomb. The windscreen was S$850/-, and labour was S$400/-. The worst part was that scatches are not claimable under the windscreen insurance. Sammo told me that they subcontracted the work to somebody, but wouldn't say whom. Workmanship was good though. As for CA's service, I would say that I was quite satisfied with their service quality even though their price is on the high side. I suppose the high price for labour is because of the subcontracting involved. ↡ Advertisement Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Skoda_Man Neutral Newbie July 2, 2002 Share July 2, 2002 alamak, why didn't you ask me for help. There is some after market Glass polish that might help. It is abrasive (just like those buffering car polish). But not too sure in your case can help or not. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Octaviafan Neutral Newbie July 2, 2002 Author Share July 2, 2002 (edited) Hi Daryl, Thanks for the offer, but I have done my research before deciding to get it replaced. Basically, those glass polishers will do the job for very small areas only and it takes about 1/2hr per inch. Mine's like 15" across and not limited to just one scratch. Furthermore, it would be practically impossible to do it manually as high buffing speed is required. You need a buffer like the ones the professional use for polishing the car body except that this one needs to be water proof as you will have to keep running water over the glass to keep it from overheating since glass doesn't dissipate heat as well. The buffing pad are also made of a different material. Anyway, as I said, it was an extremely painful lesson and I hope others can learn from it. For your info, had I done my research before using 3M Scouring wool, I would have saved myself the financial pain. While searching the internet for a solution for scratches on glass, I came across an article from a guys living in the US. He had a similar problem and had apparently also used 3M scouring wool on his Lexus back in '95. He had his problem fixed with a brick. Smash the window and insurance claim lah. Me too honest lah! So, ownself pay lor. See you this Saturday! alamak, why didn't you ask me for help. There is some after market Glass polish that might help. It is abrasive (just like those buffering car polish). But not too sure in your case can help or not. Edited July 2, 2002 by Octaviafan Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Hondaskoda_ Neutral Newbie July 2, 2002 Share July 2, 2002 Hi Skodaman, You should have pass Octaviafan some of the alcohol, It will remove tree sap. Actually, the wash and wax from turtle wax (use in concentrate form) can also remove tree sap easily Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Skoda_Man Neutral Newbie July 2, 2002 Share July 2, 2002 *hic* what alcohol??? *hic* Aiayh, like I say never call me to help... alamak. I charge him cheap cheap only, One Kopi-O, coffee shop style. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Skoda_Man Neutral Newbie July 2, 2002 Share July 2, 2002 I always thought that stuff on the glass is very safe, leave for how long also can take off. Think if I kenna same problem as you I will use a pen knift to scape it off gently. But then again, I dun know how difficult it is to remove in your case. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Octaviafan Neutral Newbie July 3, 2002 Author Share July 3, 2002 I don't know what kind of tree it was, but the dried sap was hard as rock. Tried scraping it off with my finger nails and nearly got them badly chipped. I even tried using my wife's nail polish remover, some alcohol based stuff, but still couldn't get it off. Anyway, after I realized the scratch on the front screen, I resorted to using a pen knife for the rear windscreen. Took a very time though, as there were so many spots, but it did the job eventually. By then, damage was already done. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
PointyEwe Clutched July 4, 2002 Share July 4, 2002 Hmm... I still think you should claim from your insurance loh by cracking your windscreen loh... sorta FOC anyway wat without affecting your NDB. Lidat all of us here will know how strong the windscreen is... Btw, our windscreen is sorta tinted right? Does the new windscreen comes with this? Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sky8807 1st Gear July 4, 2002 Share July 4, 2002 For me, if the the sap is difficult to remove, leave the car in the rain and after the car is really cool then do a good soapy wash followed by polish to remove the stubbon spot. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Octaviafan Neutral Newbie July 5, 2002 Author Share July 5, 2002 Yes, it's tinted. I even made sure that it has the Skoda Logo and not a VW logo since the parts could be identical to a Bora. As for claiming on the insurance, I have never really bothered reading the exception in the policy until I had this problem. I then discovered that the insurance WILL NOT pay, if it is just a scratch or a chip. Attached is the extract from the (NTUC Income) policy; "We will pay the cost of replacing any broken windscreen or window glass on the Insured Vehicle provided that (a) there is no other damage to the said vehicle (b) save for an Insured Vehicle under Manufacturer's and/or Distributor's Warranty, the repairs are carried out at a workshop appointed or approved by us. We will not pay (a) the first $50 of each claim (b) the cost of repairs for chipped or scratched windscreen or window glass on the Insured Vehicle This payment shall not be construed as a claim for purposes of Condition 9 of this Policy. And I figured it would be risky also trying to "create" a case since the policy also states the following: 7. False or Exagg No payment will be made under this Policy if the claim is (i) in any respect fraudulent (ii) intentionally exaggerated (iii) supported by false declaration (iv) due to loss or damage intentionally caused by you or a person acting with your express or implied consent (v) due to an act committed in violation of any law. erated Claims In the end, no other choice but to pay it myself lor. That's why I said "expensive lesson" learnt. Hmm... I still think you should claim from your insurance loh by cracking your windscreen loh... sorta FOC anyway wat without affecting your NDB. Lidat all of us here will know how strong the windscreen is... Btw, our windscreen is sorta tinted right? Does the new windscreen comes with this? Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Skoda_Man Neutral Newbie July 5, 2002 Share July 5, 2002 wah, you honest guy. Very very good. For me I sure to find some reason to get it change. experience with insurance company Tai Ping - I got a chip on my windscreen, they say cannot claim, then I kenna a hair line crack on one side and they say cannot claim. Then I get fed up, got myself a 'spider web' on my windscreen and then claim insurance. Two weeks later got a letter informing me that if I still want coverage of insurance of my windscreeen, I need to pay like 300 dollars. I still have one more month left on my policy and I say 'Balls to you'... haha After that, change to another one liao... cannot tahan them. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Octaviafan Neutral Newbie July 5, 2002 Author Share July 5, 2002 Good on you mate! Well I guess I have not learnt just one lesson but two. Next time, don't be so honest also lah! wah, you honest guy. Very very good. For me I sure to find some reason to get it change. experience with insurance company Tai Ping - I got a chip on my windscreen, they say cannot claim, then I kenna a hair line crack on one side and they say cannot claim. Then I get fed up, got myself a 'spider web' on my windscreen and then claim insurance. Two weeks later got a letter informing me that if I still want coverage of insurance of my windscreeen, I need to pay like 300 dollars. I still have one more month left on my policy and I say 'Balls to you'... haha After that, change to another one liao... cannot tahan them. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Skoda_Man Neutral Newbie July 5, 2002 Share July 5, 2002 yeah lor.... why suffer so much ourselves. One of the thing I ask when getting my insurance is Windscreen coverage. Understand that some policy don't cover that, if you want got to pay extra ↡ Advertisement Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In NowRelated Discussions
Related Discussions
Most expensive car in the world: ROLLS-ROYCE SWEPTAIL
Most expensive car in the world: ROLLS-ROYCE SWEPTAIL
Most Expensive City In the world
Most Expensive City In the world
Ridiculous MacDonald meal
Ridiculous MacDonald meal
Car of Politician
Car of Politician
Who needs tuition or teachers anymore these days? Why waste money?
Who needs tuition or teachers anymore these days? Why waste money?
Expensive slipper craze?
Expensive slipper craze?
Most expensive car in Singapore: Pagani Huayra
Most expensive car in Singapore: Pagani Huayra
Durian,Durian...which is the fairest of them all?
Durian,Durian...which is the fairest of them all?