Seven11 Neutral Newbie December 23, 2001 Share December 23, 2001 Anyone knows where to buy a oil filter wrencher? I have been hunting for one with no luck! ↡ Advertisement Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Smallkid Neutral Newbie December 23, 2001 Share December 23, 2001 (edited) what is oil filter wrencher? how to change oil DIY? used oil throw where? thank you Edited December 23, 2001 by smallkid Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Fabiaman 1st Gear December 24, 2001 Share December 24, 2001 (edited) Hah. That is the problem with DIY oil change. Where are you going to dispose of the used oil? Dont even think of ridding it on the drains or the rivers. Aiyah, oil filter wrencher is a tool to unscrew the oil filter from the engine. I have also seen it selling in DIY shops for a pittance 6 to 8 bucks. Edited December 24, 2001 by Fabiaman Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Fabiaman 1st Gear December 24, 2001 Share December 24, 2001 Wil create a new segment called Change Your Oil DIY Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Fabiaman 1st Gear December 24, 2001 Share December 24, 2001 Changing oil DIY... find out more : http://www.mycarforum.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=22; sb=post_latest_reply; so=ASC; forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;#22://http://www.mycarforum.com/forum/gfo...w_collapsed;#22 Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sky8807 1st Gear December 27, 2001 Share December 27, 2001 Can also go to any hardware shop in your area. They also sell oil filter remover. Strap type, metal type , chain type and many pattern also. If don't have use a screwdriver and pierce through the centre of the oil filter body and rotate on the extended ends to loosen it. Disposing the used oil is a problem here, I normally give to the garage or petrol station to change it. If you have to disposed the oil, u can always pour the used oil into an empty oil container and disposed it at any garage. Or worst situation disposed it on the rubbish bin and let it burn together with the rubbish, might be illegal though. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Turbobrick Neutral Newbie December 27, 2001 Share December 27, 2001 With regards to used oil disposal, DO NOT dump it into the longkang or grass patch! It's environmentally irresponsible to do that. Contain the oil is used containers and pass to garages or industrial workshops who has used oil drums. Alternatively seal them up properly and dump at rubbish points, shouldn't be a problem. Cheers! Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Fabiaman 1st Gear December 28, 2001 Share December 28, 2001 Wah Sky8807, seems like the lao cheow starts talking now. (He is a technical expert) Yes, the wrencher for oil filter can be found easily at all hardware shop. Even Autobacs also carries that wrencher, so shld be easy to find. One point to note abt changing your oil is that when you tighten the new oil filter in place after the change, you might want to avoid using the wrench and over-tighten the filter. As the months & weeks goes by, the filter automatically or naturally tightens through all the bumps and humps. So if you squeeze and turn the filter tightly on installing, good chance that you might have a hard time unscrewing it the next time you change the oil. Just speaking from experience, not sure if this is true for most cases though. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Turbobrick Neutral Newbie December 28, 2001 Share December 28, 2001 Yah, use the wrench only for removing the filter. The new filter should be hand tightened only, else U'll have a hard time removing it next time round. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sky8807 1st Gear December 28, 2001 Share December 28, 2001 Fabiaman, pai say, pai say. Not expert maybe old timer. Ya remove with wrench and tighten with hand. Sometimes when too hot hard to remove because of expansion, wait for it to cool a little bit b4 removing the filter. For info, the fabia drain plug is using allen key and not hex socket. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Turbobrick Neutral Newbie December 28, 2001 Share December 28, 2001 Allen Key? Weird Another pointer is to change the drain plug washer every oil change as the washer is usually crush type and should be change to prevent oil sippage and also prevent the washer from fusing into the drain plug. Cheers! Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Fabiaman 1st Gear December 28, 2001 Share December 28, 2001 Sky8807, when I am at Gul Lane tomorrow for servicing, I will try to learn from the JTA mechs the oil change process and maybe DIY if I have the time. If not, juts go back there every 10,000km lor. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sky8807 1st Gear December 28, 2001 Share December 28, 2001 Fabiaman, Don't need to learn, just find out the size of the allen key used for the drain plug. If u really want to change can call me and one of these day when free can come and help. Oil filter also very easy to change. access is OK. The drain plug washer, no need to change every time removed, oil does not leak that easily. The point to note is not to over tighten. Wah your car already due for service oredi. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Turbobrick Neutral Newbie December 28, 2001 Share December 28, 2001 True that the oil won't leak so easily from the drain plug but it's just a precaution, I'm kinda anal to these small things and I even use a torque wrench to tighten the drain plug! Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Fabiaman 1st Gear December 28, 2001 Share December 28, 2001 Tks Sky8807 Oh yes, definitely need to know that size of that allen key (strange! ) needed to unwind the reservoir. Oil filter for the Fabia is quite easy to change since the space is available in the engine bay for a swift untightening of the filter. Drain plug washer? Where can I buy them? Has it got to be car specific? Or is it a generic prdts used across all makes. If its cheap, dun mind changing everytime I change the oil. Yes, my car is now 10,800 km... a bit over due. BTW, I did check with the workshop if they will change the plugs, they say no, only change at 20,000km! I think I will still want to change the plugs tomorrow as I am curious if that can help the trembling. BTW, John, can you private message me your HP number? I lost yours. Tks. http://www.mycarforum.com/forum/gforum.cgi?do=message_list Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sky8807 1st Gear December 28, 2001 Share December 28, 2001 Fabiaman[:)] The last time I changed oil, did not noticed whether there is a washer or not. Some car no need washer because the surface is very flat, oil will not seep out. No problem with that. Even if the washer is seasoned also no problem, no worries. Where to buy? Really don't know. Don't understand " needed to unwind the reservoir" also. Did I say that. I'm working tomorrow, or else might pop in to look also, I also need to know what type of plugs they used. As for replacement, I think I can do it if know the type of plugs used. For info also need allen key to remove it. The allen key I have, size not sure but is easily available, like one of those you used for ikea products fits nicely. You know when I drive to the highlands in Pahang, need to prepare in case spark plugs kaput. So aredi recce how to remove it. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Myfocus Neutral Newbie January 2, 2002 Share January 2, 2002 A ratcheting driver helps a lot - especially when you're lying on the floor. These, along with the allen keys, are commonly found in hardware shops. I've used teflon tape (white plumber's tape). cheap and effective. Use sparingly and wind it the correct way so it dun unravel when you screw in the plug, also helps avoid getting bits and pieces into your sump and potentially blocking up passages. The washer is safer though since it avoids this problem, but the washer is a "crush-type" one-time use. I used to get the washers in Waterloo or Lavender/Jln Besar area. Just needed to find out the inner and outer diameter. Thickness was about 1mm. Material is typpically copper alloy (can't remember the alloy mix though). Can't remember the cost since it was so long ago - current car does not require the washers. >Drain plug washer? Where can I buy them? Has it got to be car specific? Or is it a >generic prdts used across all makes. If its cheap, dun mind changing everytime I >change the oil. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Turbobrick Neutral Newbie January 2, 2002 Share January 2, 2002 Most cars that come with drain plug washers come with Aluminum or Copper washers. Many are crush type but mechs always re-use them, defeating the purpose of having crush type. The washer is just another safeguard from overtightening the soft aluminum oil sump that most cars have today. ↡ Advertisement Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In NowRelated Discussions
Related Discussions
Aircon Cabin Filter
Aircon Cabin Filter
Air Purifier Discussion - tips and info
Air Purifier Discussion - tips and info
Any water dispenser to recommend?
Any water dispenser to recommend?
DIY engine oil change
DIY engine oil change
Recommendation for water filter
Recommendation for water filter
Dyson Zone, the real deal or has April fool's day come early?
Dyson Zone, the real deal or has April fool's day come early?
Replacing fuel filter
Replacing fuel filter
TRD Engine Air Filter
TRD Engine Air Filter