WD40 at the belts

Chris_ck

My friend sprayed WD40 on his car's belts (alternator belt, aircon belt etc) and says it's good for the car as it keep the belt from being brittle or something. Any comments about this? Personally i thought WD40 is flammable and with the belt going at high speed can the WD40 withstand the heat and not combust? Or another train of thought with the added lubrication to the belts will it not cause the belt to not run as smoothly as before as friction is needed in turning the wheels (dunno the right term) attached to the belt. Anyone care to share his/her thoughts?

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Weird man !! WD40 at the belts.

If you wanna keep your belts in prime condition, buy the belt spray at Autobacs. That is meant solely for your timing belts and all belts.

WD40 is to ease friction ..... on the belts you need friction grip.

I can't say whether its dangerous or not ...... but I certainly wouldn't do that ... [cool]

proper belt spray? Just use normal silicone spray will do....no need waste extra $$...btw u do lubricate yr boots and other synthetic rubber, dont u.

its to prevent from drying out, harden, crack, fray.....

those at the CV joints....they dont call them boots also? well not too sure abt any fancy names...i only know wat to be done...

i can imagine the huge business of changing cv joints.....

↡ Advertisement