Classic cars

Fastforward

Anyone has passion for classic cars? Do you like them, hate them or indifferent.

I had 2 previous experience of driving old COE cars, 70's registered. Only car I could afford then, but it was really fun. Had a Mini Clubman and a BMW E21 before.

Likes - simple engine, any mechanic also can fix - no such thing as fuel injection, carburretors. Very few of the same cars on the road. Even sports car drive pass also look.

dislikes - rust, high road tax, take loan must pay football money.

I like best the Triumph spitfire, Ford Mustang, MGB and Alfa spyder.

↡ Advertisement

Wah, FF, U said only can afford that Cooper and BMW? They arn't cheap! [;)]

I think they cost like $15,000 and $18,000 respectively.

The clubman is the one with the square front and not very nice looking, the ones that got value are called the short front with the round head lights. The king was called the cooper S, only a few in Singapore left. There is still a big following opn minis as there is a mini owners club in Singapore, if I am not wrong they also gather at Kallang KFC for the monthly meets.

What's football $$? [:)]

I don't know about the situation now but like about 10 yrs ago, if you want to buy a COE car and want to take a loan, no one wants to lend you money as the car really don't have any value, just the coe value. In order for the loan company to loan money to you, you must pay what they call " Tak qui" or football money, kind of like an undertable for them to give you a loan, sounds weird but it happens.

Neutral Newbie

Yes, U are right. So are U still keeping those cars? U clubman can sale very high value to their club [:)] , or even sell as piece by piece-they still want it, becoz the parts must ship frm UK or frm old cars.

Neutral Newbie

Like them, but can't even afford 'normal' mainstream car - how to afford the classic ones? The closest I ever got to something of classic status was a AR Sprint. The only two things I can remember of it was great engine note and rust. [:p]

If I had both the time and money (both hard to come by these days), wouldn't mind a Volvo P1800, BM2002, a non-batmobile 3.0Ci or VW-P914, tho' (are any of these the same as the E21 you mentioned ?) - do these qualify as real classics ?

Oh, speaking of Alfa Spyder, met this chap in HV a few months back with an original Duetto Spyder...white.....very, very cool..... [cool] When asked, he admitted it demanded more time than most ppl would be willing to dedicate to a car..... [crazy]

I don't know about the situation now but like about 10 yrs ago, if you want to buy a COE car and want to take a loan, no one wants to lend you money as the car really don't have any value, just the coe value. In order for the loan company to loan money to you, you must pay what they call " Tak qui" or football money, kind of like an undertable for them to give you a loan, sounds weird but it happens.

Oic... got such thing meh??

Yes, U are right. So are U still keeping those cars? U clubman can sale very high value to their club [:)] , or even sell as piece by piece-they still want it, becoz the parts must ship frm UK or frm old cars.

While it was a really fun car to drive, it had it's fair share of problems. Biggest one is rust and leaking. Everytime it rain, water wud get into the floorboard, damn headache, but can take corner very well, as centre of gravity very low. Sold it after 1 year and got the E21.

Like them, but can't even afford 'normal' mainstream car - how to afford the classic ones? The closest I ever got to something of classic status was a AR Sprint. The only two things I can remember of it was great engine note and rust. [:p]

If I had both the time and money (both hard to come by these days), wouldn't mind a Volvo P1800, BM2002, a non-batmobile 3.0Ci or VW-P914, tho' (are any of these the same as the E21 you mentioned ?) - do these qualify as real classics ?

Oh, speaking of Alfa Spyder, met this chap in HV a few months back with an original Duetto Spyder...white.....very, very cool..... [cool] When asked, he admitted it demanded more time than most ppl would be willing to dedicate to a car..... [crazy]

Well, anything that is over 20 years can qualify as a classic these days considering that not many old cars like these are on the road due to this COE thing. Not all classic are expensive but as years go by and more people feel it make more sense to scrap than maintain the classic, lesser and lesser are kept on the road and I think with it, value would also go up especially unique ones like the Triumph Spitfire and MGB and Alfa Spyder. Cool classic convertibles.

Ideally, you should have some mechanical knowledge and plenty of time to restore these babies, most of which are pretty simple and those cars got real basic setups, but parts may be a problem.

I restored the E21 I had and everytime I met a bimmer fan, they loved the car but sadly I had to let that go.

Oic... got such thing meh??

Of course, kena two times already.

Neutral Newbie

You did the restoration by yourself ?

Nayway, in general, I feel the situation in S'pore not very friendly to car collecting, esp. classic cars.... [:/]

Nayway, in general, I feel the situation in S'pore not very friendly to car collecting, esp. classic cars.... [:/]

Me, I have absolutely zero mechanical knowledge. Sent into a workshop.

Yah, there really need to give some real special concession to classic cars, if not how will the next generation know how cars look like in the past.

I kep a picture of all the cars I owned in my life till now, so far 6, next time can show my son and even grandson what Ah Kong used to drive. Today's car will be tommorrow classic.

If, got the chance, wud like to have one of these, wonder how much one would cost??

Me, I have absolutely zero mechanical knowledge. Sent into a workshop.

Yah, there really need to give some real special concession to classic cars, if not how will the next generation know how cars look like in the past.

I kep a picture of all the cars I owned in my life till now, so far 6, next time can show my son and even grandson what Ah Kong used to drive. Today's car will be tommorrow classic.

If, got the chance, wud like to have one of these, wonder how much one would cost??

post-1-1020141801_thumb.jpg

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

O small fortune, at very least.

Plus a lot of TLC (some say even more demanding than having wife and kids) and patience.....