What Power Steering Fluid to Use?

Jamesgetz

Hi, I am driving a Hyundai Getz and while doing some routine checks of the engine bay, realised the PSF is rather low.

Checked my car manual and it says to use "PSF 3". But WTF is "PSF 3"????? [lipsrsealed]

Can anyone pls advise if I can just buy any of the generic PSF from the petrol kiosk to top it up? Or can anyone pls advise which is the correct type of PSF to use?

↡ Advertisement

I think it is Mitusbishi's SP-III.

OK the low down on PSF. If your car specifies and ATF to be used as PSF, you can throw in any high quality modern ATF for use as PSF. Don't care what Dexron or Mercon standard.

Power steering systems need a very thin but highly lubricative fluid. ATFs meet this criteria.

I suggest you dump in Toyota's T-IV since you can buy this at $22/4L but if you are fussy, can get RP Max ATF (meets D-III and Mercon) since it is the most affordable synthetic ATF around.

BTW, PSF should not drop in level unless there is a leak in it. Have you been changing out the PSF often? Usually 1 year once is good. PSF, though it is not stressed like ATF in the auto tranny, is subjected to heat which breaks it down. That is why I like ATFs that are colored red. You can actually see it turn very dark as time goes on telling you that you need to change.

See this post in Chevy folder on how to do it. You need two jacks to raise the front of your vehicle first.

http://www.mycarforum.com/forum/We_Are_Che...T_cars_P978558/

The reason why I don't start the engine like this link below where most of this PSF change idea comes from is that I don't want to introduce bubbles into the system. Either through an empty reservoir or through cavitation.

http://syner-g.org/maint/power_steering_flush.htm

I forgot who with a Civic from MCF has done it using this method but it will frighten the balls out of you because the PS pump will make all kinds of awful noises when the reservoir completely empties! Then you got drive it around a bit make figure 8 turns to prime the whole system.

Edited by Genie47

hey, great info u have got there! but unfortunately, the manual just states "PSF 3" and makes no mention of using ATF as PSF. anyway, i have called my workshop and he said to use get those generic PSF from petrol kiosk. suppose i will go check it out

my ride is coming to 2 yrs and the level didn't dropped that rapidly. i suppose that is normal???

btw, is PSF flushing recommended? I know ATF flushing is good and I believe in it for healthy gear box but PSF seems a bit distant for me...

Hyundais use SP-III ATF. Chances are the PSF is also SP-III. SP-III uses a syn-blend (Group II and Group III) of base oils, detergents, anti-foam agents, and proprietary Mitsubishi friction modifiers. Yes, it is Mitsubishi rather than Hyundai's own standard.

But power steering is a different and simpler creature compared to the auto tranny. Basically it is just a vane pump powered by a belt from the engine. It is just a hydraulic fluid. Most manufacturers use the ATF as the PSF because it simplifies inventories. So if you buy SP-III for ATF change, you can use the SP-III as PSF. But if SP-III is too expensive (it is actually), switch to a cheaper ATF like Dexron-III, Mercon or T-IV in desperation.

(edited)

brilliant. [;)] u actually answered my question before I could ask it. was about to ask u since my ride uses SPIII ATF, can I also use SPIII ATF as PSF. thx! [thumbsup]

Edited by Jamesgetz

prob is i don't have any more SPIII lying around at home and those small 1 quart/litre ATF and PSF bottles sold in petrol kiosks aren't SPIII [:/] loose bottles are about $9/litre for Diaqueen (Mitsubishi brand) SPIII if I recall. previously, I bought those 4L ones when I flushed my ATF

think will just get those PSF from Shell/Caltex kiosks

They are not SPIII but you can still dump it into the PSF. No problems whatsoever. The PS system is not as fussy or complicated as the auto tranny. Remember by statement above? PSF is low grade ATF. You are not driving a Honda, so go ahead and buy the cheapest available DexronIII/Mercon ATF and dump it in. If you want to buy the so-called specially made PSF (low grade ATF) be sure you don't pay more than the cheapest DexronIII/Mercon ATF.

Edited by Genie47

(edited)

not too sure but stamford tires sell prestone and STP ones which costs about $7+ but they look rather old and neglected... Caltex sells dexron ATF-cum-PSF which is also abt the same price. Think I will get the Caltex ones from petrol kiosks

btw, is there any easy and non-messy way to drain out the existing PSF apart from the methods which u have shared in your previous posts? maybe use a long tube?

Edited by Jamesgetz

(edited)

alamak, i blur sotong... thought that my PSF level was low. when i check again (this time using a 'dipstick') yesterday after buying the Caltex PSF-cum-ATF, realised the level is actually pretty high [:|] (just to clarify, my PSF bottle is opaque so the only way to check by visual is to peer in from the top where the opening is [:p] )

anyway, i used a syringe with rubber tubing to suck out as much PSF as possible and then poured the new one in. so far so good [thumbsup]

Edited by Jamesgetz

Neutral Newbie

Any ideas where I can find Pentosin CHF11S ps fluid? I know for factory fill this is the fluid they are using in my ps. I just don't want to buy from dealer parts store.

just to add on. was at the Shell station today and looked at PSF they carry. For Dexron PSF, they have only have the synthetic ATF-cum-PSF which costs almost $30/litre [shocked]