Component speakers, no amp?

Bigtoothpick

hi all the ICE gurus out there - my brother's Wish HU is a Kenwood KDC-PS9016A. No power amplifier, just 2 stock speakers at front doors and 2 added Sony speakers at rear doors.

Right now the sound in his car is sort of crappy (to me anyway). Will it make much difference in sound quality if he just replaces the front pair with component speakers? Without installing an amplifier. Coz he's not into ICE and not planning to spend too much or have too many things installed in his car.

Thanks.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

The best speakers are made from paper cones* [sly][inlove]

Depending on the brand of the car, some do throw in quite decent coaxials. Mine came with 2 pairs (front and rear) of 6.5" Lanzar VX (forgot what model) coaxials that costs about 40USD/pair on the net.

*Disclaimer: This is based on my personal preference only [laugh] So kevlar/carbon/plastics cone supporters dun [whip] and [rifle] me. [laugh][:p]

[sunny] PEACE [flowerface]

ok... thanks for the feedback. looks like my brother will go ahead to get the component speakers. i know what u mean about the amp and sub - last time just before i scrapped my car, after the amp and sub were taken out, the sound was terrible... [:p]

Neutral Newbie
yup, there will be a noticable difference lah..

stock spkrs are crappy paper spkrs

Hi...

I am planning to upgrade my ICE too without amps and without burning a big hole in my pocket...

Will 2 sets of component speakers 1 pair for frnt and 1 pair for rear be too strenous for the head unit w/o amps? [:/]

the improvement will really come in with an

amplifier together with a sub-woofer.

with component spkrs , u will get better imaging, clarity.

but still lack the bass punch

Edited by Adawang

Arr...component speaker w/o amp? hur.gif

Sure can make it or not,the HU power is only 50watt....can meh?

Get a decent 2 channel amp larr to boost the 2 front compo spkr,than run the rear spkr to the HU.

If got money,buy another 2 channel amp to drive the sub

eeh don call pple [hur] leh..

for those who just cant stand their stock spkrs and just want to spend AS little as possibe, the HU is still able to drive entry level spkrs... but the satisfaction will not last for long.. heheh

why call ppl [hur], not everyone want to upgrade front speaker together with amp at one go. For the interim period, the sound must sound decent mah, especially ppl just go for entry level.

If bro here can share and recommend some model that is friendly to HU, it would definitely be helpful.cheers

Edited by Silverycivic

I am using the focal K series and personally, i feel that these speakers are a real value for money...

Maybe some of the other brothers in ICE forum can advice??

I am not promoting focal but it has delivered what i want, though not yet close to my final destination but defintely a great impovment.

If you are interested in listening to some of the other cars, just head down to the weekly meet up at macpherson. we are more then willing to help.

If bro here can share and recommend some model that is friendly to HU, it would definitely be helpful.cheers

********************************************************************************

Yah this I agree... can anyone recommend good budget compo speakers? [nod]

It really depends on how hungry your tweeters are.

Check you specs of the compo and output of ur hu and match them.

If not,you are just throwing money away... If you dun mind can throw to me!!

Heeheelaugh.giflaugh.gif

Alamak,so sensitive.

Do you know ICE is addictive,one can spend thousands on ICE and some

will just be happy with paper speakers.

Since bros here into ICE,agreed first step is compo spk,but halt...i believe u guys

will definitely come back for more i.e amplifiers.

So, why fix spk than amp,you'll end up loosing time and money.My opinion

is save up and fix both together,if on budget and dont mind taiwan products,some ICE shop sell

a complete ICE system which is not bad.