Component speakers, no amp?

Bigtoothpick

me know nuts too. but after hearing at few audio shops, i find that there r diff sound quality.

so far have heard lanzar heritage, helix b62c, maestro (dunno model), hertz (ur linked model), morel (dunno model), focal (duno model), gnd zero (dunno model). price for "(dunno model)" incl install at 350 to 399 (except focal that i presume higher end, & gnd zero but w amp that i dont need, so didnt ask).

muffled ones is lanzar heritage - sound like singing from background / faraway.

best overall clarity n bass - helix b62c & morel (dunno wc model - suspect its maximo); oni former made in German n latter in PRC. morel one for certain music slightly clearer in mid-hi range; helix very clear in vocal. maestro sounded no diff fr these 2 also.

hertz dsk 165 - loudness is there but not so clear; not better than my stock.

focal (dunno model) - again, vocal no so good, sound more "tight"

gnd zero - cmi (but dunno due to no tuning / proper setup, but since installer said connected to amp, i no longer interested)

conclusion - bring ur own cd / thumbdrive & listen to a few tracks emphasizing all range of low, mid, hi (initial-d music soundtrack very good to test out - its got lows, mids n hi n even sudden low - hi n hi-low) listen to few tracks, switch over between spkr to hear diff unless at diff shops, rewind some parts of twisting betwe hi-low or lo-hi to see how spkr respond i necessary. note some stup in room n some in open. for info, the good spkr i hear was not setup in room. finally, go back ur car n hear to compare diff as soon as poss.

so u b the final judge.

2 cents worth.

Wow.. ok. Thanks for the tips. [:)]

I don't even know what's my stock speaker's brand. But it don't sound good. not much bass and abit soft.

I just want to do minor upgrade to make it sound better but not to the extend of those compeition class.

alrite will go down to the shop and try to hear the diff.. [laugh] dun know my ears sharp enuff or not -_-

↡ Advertisement

not quite agree..

i went to hear the gnd 0 & morel comp spkr w amp at dimxxxxxx audio - sound so muffled, esp w the alpine amp caused it to be really soft; like no amp! my stock speakers definitely clearer than these except no bass.

i went autoxxxxx entxxxxxxxx to hear helix b62c comp spkr w/o amp - sound so LIVE.

go hear for urself. low power comp spkr dont really need amp. really. i find it a misleading that ICE shops r offering amp & spkr package - at least the should couple w mid-hi end spkr if they do so...

i'm starting to believe we dont need to even have an amp & subwoofer - i find it overly loud n bassy. of cos, if u open ur car doors to blast music, dat another thing altogether.

mr novice

the speakers in the shop will sound different when installed in the car. perhaps you are not really into ICE. so the stock speakers will be more than enough for you

I am not also into ICE and I will do the minimun most of the time, just to share my experience.

EK Civic - Only install "infinity" components speakers with 2nd hand Kenwood head unit, improvement is good enough for me. Spent about 500.

ES Civic - Original Head Unit sucks big time .... sound quality is like transitor radio. Install Amp, Woofer and speakers but I keep the original HU as I like the design/look. Spent above 1.2k.

At the end of the day, quality of sound = $$$$$. If it is good enough for your ears - go ahead as there is always improvement that can be made with $$$$ and it can be a never ending story. My friend driving a GS300 upgraded his original Levinson system but I was not so impressed when I sit in his car. My take, ICE is pretty individual.

mr novice

the speakers in the shop will sound different when installed in the car. perhaps you are not really into ICE. so the stock speakers will be more than enough for you

ok thk u. i just realized that.

u r rite, stock w active sub i find still good.

so the shop smoked me by telling it's not amp-ed? den another shop w amp did not tune it properly?

Edited by Fuelsaver

Wow.. ok. Thanks for the tips. [:)]

I don't even know what's my stock speaker's brand. But it don't sound good. not much bass and abit soft.

I just want to do minor upgrade to make it sound better but not to the extend of those compeition class.

alrite will go down to the shop and try to hear the diff.. [laugh] dun know my ears sharp enuff or not -_-

see picanto post above.

i'm novice as he says, so u better consult him.

see picanto post above.

i'm novice as he says, so u better consult him.

Picanto? nah..

Edited by Baphomet
  • Praise 1

ok thk u. i just realized that.

u r rite, stock w active sub i find still good.

so the shop smoked me by telling it's not amp-ed? den another shop w amp did not tune it properly?

if you find that it sounds good, then it sounds good.

dun have to believe what the shop tells you.

if you find that it sounds good, then it sounds good.

dun have to believe what the shop tells you.

thx for enlightening.

just looking for better sound.

so ur view stands for comp w amp?

(edited)

Picanto? nah..

i m sayin this cos i just sat in fren's ride n hear comp w/o amp.

result was like more treble dan bass, as compared to last time even i installed lanzar low end co-axial w/o amp, which sounded much better than stock.

so mayb wat u hear at shop b diff wen u sit in car...

Edited by Fuelsaver

thx for enlightening.

just looking for better sound.

so ur view stands for comp w amp?

of course, but its your ears that decide. anyway, comp speakers with or without amp will sound better than stock

From stock to front comp will be slight improvement

Add amp - Great improvement.

Add sub woofer - Better still

Add mid bass (active (usually better) or passive 2 way) ( need extra amp/Channels)

Add high mid.(active (usually better) or passive 3 way) (need extra amp/channels)

Add insulation

The different comp/ woofer/ mids/ amps/ cabling 's brands and reliability will make ones head bigger by 2 times.

Its said if you dont want to spend few thousands at least to get a decent system, then the advice is dont get any.

If you have heard cars with proper ice , you will not ever find your stock system any good. In fact it will be unbearable.

SO keep your ears clean. Stay away from ICED cars

BTW, a decent setup provided it lasts can be transfer to your next car. So you get to enjoy it a longer time.

Add mid bass (active (usually better) or passive 2 way) ( need extra amp/Channels)

Add high mid.(active (usually better) or passive 3 way) (need extra amp/channels)

Add insulation

The different comp/ woofer/ mids/ amps/ cabling 's brands and reliability will make ones head bigger by 2 times.

Its said if you dont want to spend few thousands at least to get a decent system, then the advice is dont get any.

If you have heard cars with proper ice , you will not ever find your stock system any good. In fact it will be unbearable.

BTW, a decent setup provided it lasts can be transfer to your next car. So you get to enjoy it a longer time.

That is a simplified and easy to understand summary.

Neutral Newbie

Add insulation

Well & Nice say pal. Welcome to the ICE journey and get poison deep deep.

Picanto? nah..

Bro, finally I change to helix b62c comp spkr.

Found that my Sony hu can't drive it's midbass, so sq worse than stock w active sub.

Den, tried pioneer 6350 hu - now as good as shop setup.

But my active sub may or may not need to b used, at most low boost.

So I conclude comp spkr must match hu.

ahaha.. really poisonous.. backside itchy, went to turn on fader to hear only rear stock spkr - muffled like fish..

chg to helix e106 coax for rear ones..

now really satisfied that my current setup is better than some amp-ed cars i've sat n listened... opened up all doors n blast, clarity n bass up!!!

What's the current range of component speakers for less than $400? Which brands or models to look out for?

Most mass consumer brands, hertz, Cdt, rainbow, etc will have something along 300-400 range.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1