Calculating fuel economy

Turbobrick

I take the trip meter km reading and divide by the filled up litres at the pump, getting km/l. I then compute the monthly average to judge economy vs driving trend.

Anyone else with other methods? [:)]

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

That's what I do also.....think this is the most logical way. Newer cars have trip computers that give u a reading of your fuel efficiency, is that accurate? I mean, is the average fuel used in between top-ups calculated by the trip computer?

I think the calculation is not accurate one lah....if I am not wrong, the econometer is basically a vacuum meter....the higher the vaccum the better the economy lor.....

What they can calculate is the average only.....Sat in this Hyundai sedan SG in Korea & the trip computer calculate in average only....cool thing is that its real time....the monment we hit urban traffic only....striaght away from 12km/l drop till 9km/l !! ha ha

Some of these gadget are very simple in the way they work. BMW's servicing indicator works according to my mechanic by the number of you start your engine !!! So if you do a lot of short trips....then you need to go servicing faster !! ha ha ha ha ha ha

If you are topping up with Mobil only....you can log in your mileage everytime you top up the petrol & at the end of the month, they will calculate the ave fuel comsumation for you !! But you have to be hardworking & key in the mileage everytime lah.....

You cannot go other station as well !!

The trip computer measures fuel flow and calculates the average consumption in real time as mentioned by Gui. Not very accurate IMHO. I still think averaging out every fillup is more accurate.

Hee.....I have a little notebook in my car to jot down my mileage and amount of fuel pumped so I can punch into a Excel worksheet I created at home [;)]

Using Excel easy, can make formulas to calculate somemore. Good to keep track of mileage and fuel economy, can monitor how car performs with different conditions.

Lucky U, even if I run with the same petrol and same engine condition, my mileage varies from 6km/l to 8.5km/l depending on the darn traffic I face! [mad]

Same method. Log it in my log book and excel worksheet in pc. At the end of the month compute the monthly figure.

U are right, every fill-up give a different figure, so we can conclude that fuel comsumption figure are actually average from the high and low.

Neutral Newbie

Funny, I have no real problem using this feature in my car. Work backwards to get the petrol used is also pretty accurate when I fill her up. Of course cannot be always accurate cause the pump uncle sometime squeeze in more petrol for you.

The trip computer measures fuel flow and calculates the average consumption in real time as mentioned by Gui. Not very accurate IMHO. I still think averaging out every fillup is more accurate.

(edited)

That's why I insist to pump gas myself [;)]

I jut jut a bit more each time to get the litres up to the full level judging from my fuel level before pumping [:)]

Edited by Turbobrick

dO U Know pump petrol require kang-hu leh... :P

When tank is empty, squeeze the trigger to full throttle.

When tank is about 75% full (by judging from the amount of fuel filled), reduce to lowest throttle.

Most likely u can acheive about 95% full tank from the first snap of the trigger. [;)]

Pumping Diesel require more kang-hu as diesel is prone to foam during filling.

When tank is empty, squeeze trigger to full throttle.

When tank is about 50% full, reduce throttle to the lowest as diesel requires more time for the foam to settle down.

When the trigger snaps, most likely u will acheive 90% full tank. [;)]

I always pump gas myself for the past 9yrs and it is always 100% full to the brim. [cool]

That's why I insist to pump gas myself [;)]

I jut jut a bit more each time to get the litres up to the full level judging from my fuel level before pumping [:)]

Edited by Shagmobil

Laow chiow has spoken! U professional pump attendent before? [:p]

I usually let the blaady nozzle go full speed than later slowly ease a little bit by bit.

btw, noticed some pumps are faster than others?

↡ Advertisement