Munich, Germany

Newbie_driver

does anyone ever work in Munich before, would like to find what is the cost of living there?

i haven't live in Munich for long....but I used to travel there on projects fairly often for a period of time. The cost of living there is about the same as most European major city....but cheaper than London. Things should be affordable eg. petrol should be around 1+ euro (vs S$1.60; cheaper there cos you are earning Euro), etc.

But the income tax is high (like ant european countries)....should be around 40%-45%. But in return you get cheap (and good) beer, sausages, nice public transport, good weather, etc...

i haven't live in Munich for long....but I used to travel there on projects fairly often for a period of time. The cost of living there is about the same as most European major city....but cheaper than London. Things should be affordable eg. petrol should be around 1+ euro (vs S$1.60; cheaper there cos you are earning Euro), etc.

But the income tax is high (like ant european countries)....should be around 40%-45%. But in return you get cheap (and good) beer, sausages, nice public transport, good weather, etc...

how is the culture there, do they have discrimation against asian? what is the cost of renting a apartment there and what is the average salary of a typical IT person there?

heard the tax in munich is about 30% but then u get free healthcare, insurance, pension funds, .....

Never stay in Munich but travel to central Germany (Gottingen) often for business trip for past 7yrs. Normally stay around 1-2wks.

Overall, Germany living cost is higher. But car is cheap. Petrol and Diesel cost around 1.3 - 1.5 Euro. Diesel engine car is more popular and make more sense there. Prepare to paid high income tax, ~ 40%. Beer is cheap, much cheaper than soft drink. Around 0.7-0.9Euro for o.5L bottle.

how is the culture there, do they have discrimation against asian? what is the cost of renting a apartment there and what is the average salary of a typical IT person there? ....

Germans are generally decent people, not violent or super vocal. I think the culture in big cities in Germany are fairly similar to those in England...which is not too far off from ours (except food). I feel the greatest obstacle for most people are the lack of good Singapore-style food (vs European-HK style) and home-sickness. If you can tackle that, you can live in any major cities in Europe.

Race discrimination is not common in most major European cities. There are just too many people of different ethnic group and colours.

Not sure about salary...cos the last time I was there was over 6 years ago while I was still living in London. But rental should be similar to current London zone 2-3 (eg something like AMK, Clementi, etc....in relation to our size and CBD location ) prices....maybe around 400-600 euro for a room. Cheaper if your share a house with a few people. I think you don't have to pay council tax (for renting a house) in Germany...unlike in London.

Edited by Silver_blade
↡ Advertisement