Pressure relief Mattress, 2.5 Inch Thickness

Neutrino

Has anyone used this pressure relief mattress?

https://www.qoo10.com/item/BION-ANTI-BEDSORE-MATTRESS-2-5-INCH-4-INCH/489831980

It's the beige coloured one 2.5 inches thick I'm interested in.

I'm trying to find out if the air pump is noisy and if the mattress actually works?

Also I've guessed how it might relieve pressure but am not sure if my ideas are correct.

Edited by Neutrino
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I guess it work as most bed ridden required it .

The pump not that loud but depend on what brand u buy . The air pump will regulate the air pressure into the matt ..

The one i bought locally whole set ... i think was close to 1k .

• Praise 6

I guess it work as most bed ridden required it .

The pump not that loud but depend on what brand u buy . The air pump will regulate the air pressure into the matt ..

The one i bought locally whole set ... i think was close to 1k .

Thanks.

Is the pump on continually or just when need to change pressure in cells???

My mil doesn't have bed sores but we want to prevent them appearing.

If only two tubes to mattress and many rows of cells how does pressure in row of cells or individual cells get regulated?

• Praise 1

Thanks.

Is the pump on continually or just when need to change pressure in cells???

My mil doesn't have bed sores but we want to prevent them appearing.

If only two tubes to mattress and many rows of cells how does pressure in row of cells or individual cells get regulated?

I think the pump have pressure sensors to regulate the tube pressure. everything is auto .

It does not pump continually but u need to on it 24/7 .

Alth the mattress help w sore , the patient needs to be roll left or right every 2 hrs .

The technical stuff i have no idea

• Praise 3

Thanks again.

We already roll left and right every two hours.

I thought the mattress worked in a fashion so that that was no longer necessary

i.e. different cells or rows of cells were inflated or deflated over time so that the pressure on different parts of the body was on and off therefore rolling was no longer required.

Otherwise I can't see how the mattress helps???

Thanks again.

We already roll left and right every two hours.

I thought the mattress worked in a fashion so that that was no longer necessary

i.e. different cells or rows of cells were inflated or deflated over time so that the pressure on different parts of the body was on and off therefore rolling was no longer required.

Otherwise I can't see how the mattress helps???

To some extent , the row of cells or tube will adjust its pressure up and down . But this is still not enough. 

With air matt , the patient lying on it will still exert pressure on it . Thats why roll left , right is still required . 

Even with the above , bed sore will still be formed for bed ridden patients. It can only minimise , it cant totally stop it. 

Without it , worst i guess. 
  • Praise 2

I don't really know how strong the evidence of it working but it's quite commonly used in acute and community hospitals

Yes it doesn't eliminate turning

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

I don't really know how strong the evidence of it working but it's quite commonly used in acute and community hospitals

Yes it doesn't eliminate turning

When my mil has been in hospital they always ask and we agree to this type of mattress.

But now I look at it in detail I really can' see any benefit.

It seems to me it is just the same as lying on a Lilo.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/lilo

When my mil has been in hospital they always ask and we agree to this type of mattress.

But now I look at it in detail I really can' see any benefit.

It seems to me it is just the same as lying on a Lilo.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/lilo

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5825032/

In summary evidence suggest it helps. But the evidence is not very strong. I doubt that many high quality studies have been done.

In my subjective opinion, it does help. But to what degree I don't know.

Main results

We included 65 studies in the review. The network for assessing pressure ulcer incidence comprised evidence of low or very low certainty for most network contrasts. There was moderate-certainty evidence that powered active air surfaces and powered hybrid air surfaces probably reduce pressure ulcer incidence compared with standard hospital surfaces (risk ratios (RR) 0.42, 95% confidence intervals (CI) 0.29 to 0.63; 0.22, 0.07 to 0.66, respectively). The network for comfort suggested that powered active air-surfaces are probably slightly less comfortable than standard hospital mattresses (RR 0.80, 95% CI 0.69 to 0.94; moderate-certainty evidence).

Conclusions

This is the first network meta-analysis of the effects of support surfaces for pressure ulcer prevention. Powered active air-surfaces probably reduce pressure ulcer incidence, but are probably less comfortable than standard hospital surfaces. Most prevention evidence was of low or very low certainty, and more research is required to reduce these uncertainties.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1