Experience with Mazda6 vs Subaru Outback

Andrewkb

Hi all,

Thought I'll share this short review with all for a couple of days of driving a rental Mazda 6 2.3L vs prev-model Subaru Legacy Wagon (OUTBACK) 2.5L

(Note: Not in Singapore).

Mazda6

As a passenger:

- The car is pretty quiet and spacious.

- Engine noise is pretty low.

- However, being a passenger, I start to notice the plastic used on the dash was of pretty low quality

- The centre console (gear box area) was heavily scratched during to placing items there (poor quality).

As a driver:

- Though 2.3L, the low end pickup wasn't actually very good. Power comes in at 2500rpm and the surge then was pretty good. (Low end worst than my 2.0L, should start appreciating it)

- Can't imagine the 2.0L will be worst.

- Road noise and engine noise was very obvious.

- Like the dash and design but not the quality

- Compliment must be given to the brake. Very solid feel !

- Car feel light

- Still didn't experience the exceptionally good handling due to poor weather.

Subaru Legacy 2.5L Outback/Wagon AWD

As a driver:

- With 2.5L AWD, the car is even more powerless than the 2.3L Mazda 6 !

Power on come in after 3000rpm. Gotta really rev hard

- Feel sturdy ... guess the weight and AWD.

- Feature packed, low end model, but include nice fog lights, heated seats and lots of many other features.

- Noisy .. but well .. didn't expect it to be quiet anyway (as compared to the Mazda6)

Not as a passenger yet.

Given a choice, I would keep the Mazda 6 as rental car for it's sleek look. But the Subaru Legacy Outback gave a very safe feeling instead. Snowing/Hailing ... so better stick to the Legacy Outback

P.S: Sorry, it might not been a fair comparison, but just thought of sharing these after experiencing them :-)

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Was told that rental cars are mostly fitted with governers that totally limits the power of the car. I rented a 3.1 litre Buick Century just last week, and what a let down! It did not even have power to go up a slope on the interstate... almost dropped gear automatically when I tried to keep it at the 70 MPH speed limit. Found that it was best to leave it on cruise control - set the speed, and let the car figure out how to keep the speed up there by itself.

You are right about keeping the Outback for sure-footedness in snowy conditions though... It would beat the 6 anytime in terms of road holding, even though the FWD of the 6 should fare quite OK under normal light snow conditions. Got snow chain even better.

Enjoy, and stay safe.

Cheers [:)]

ps... Go find a deserted parking lot, and do some donuts, handbrake turns, and power slides! Super Fun!!! [nod]

Hmm .. you might be right ... was driving a 2.7L Dodge Interpid the last time .. also very weak pick up ..

You mean, go Walmart carpark do donut [sly]

Neutral Newbie

Walmart, Kmart (if you can still find them), Sam's wholesale, or any large open space/parking lot. Did a donut once on the football field of a neighbourhood high school... of course this was little more dangerous... run the risk of being chased down by high school football atheletes who look like the "Fridge" of the 80s-90s Chicago Bears #72 [laugh]

Where are you at (in the US, I presume)?

↡ Advertisement