Hitman Neutral Newbie June 14, 2005 Share June 14, 2005 Jenson Button admitted here Sunday that he was happier to crash out of the Canadian Grand Prix than to hand his potential podium finish to World Champion Michael Schumacher. Button has struggled this season and is yet to pick up a point after he buckled under pressure from Ferrari driver Schumacher and hit the wall at the final corner on the 46th lap of the 70-lap race. But the Briton, who started the race from pole position, insisted: "It has been a disappointing end to what has been a very encouraging weekend, but I'd rather crash in third than finish fourth really. "It was completely my mistake. I went pretty wide and I thought I've got to try and get round the corner. I hit the kerb pretty hard and I bounced across the circuit. I didn't hit the wall that hard but it ripped the tyre off," added the British driver. Button was undone by a new tall kerb on the inside of the final corner, which he dismissed as harmless on the Thursday before the race, and admitted he could do nothing about the accident once he made the mistake. "I was going to hit the wall as soon as I hit that kerb because I didn't have any wheels on the circuit," he said. "It jumped off the kerb and landed and I thought it was okay and then I lost all grip. Michael behind me was pushing me pretty hard and I should have gone across the green stuff but I thought if I did that I would have to let Michael pass and I didn't want to do that." Button's team are on the comeback trail after struggling early in the season and then being banned for two races for failing to prove their car legal at the San Marino Grand Prix. They were confident he could race for a podium place after he put the car on pole, thanks to a light fuel load, in Saturday practice and he could have achieved their aim if he had not thrown the car in the wall. --------------------------------- In all my life watching F1 .... this I think is one of the stupidest remarks coming from Jenson Button - that he'd rather crash than finish 4th ..... whats up with that ?? [/size] Teams get 1 Million Pounds per Championship point ... 4th is 5 points = 5 million pounds At the end of last season .... he was boasting that in 2005 , he will be challenging Micheal Shumacher for the Championship. Ah well ..... ↡ Advertisement Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Robin 4th Gear June 14, 2005 Share June 14, 2005 sour grapes? Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Hitman Neutral Newbie June 14, 2005 Author Share June 14, 2005 Funny right ... this sorta remarks coming from a racing driver Dont wanna finish 4th .... some teams like Jordan or Minardi would give their limbs for 8th place and 1 point Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Robin 4th Gear June 14, 2005 Share June 14, 2005 to me it sounds like he's trying too hard to explain for his "error in judgment"... till so much so that his "reson" sounds illogical... Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Seansene 1st Gear June 14, 2005 Share June 14, 2005 Damn strange... remember Nelson Piquet winning his third Championship despite winning far fewer races than poor Nigel Mansell in 1985 (or was it 1986)? Every point counts, and you don't make quantum jumps to improve, it has to be incremental. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Hitman Neutral Newbie June 14, 2005 Author Share June 14, 2005 (edited) I think it was 1985 .... when Mansell lost it (Williams Honda TURBO then) , his tyre exploded on the back straight of the then Australian GP (last GP of the calender) .... correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was held in Adelaide Edited June 14, 2005 by Hitman Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Seansene 1st Gear June 15, 2005 Share June 15, 2005 Yeah, it was Adelaide. Talk about bad luck for Mansell, and good luck for Piquet, who got by with a string of second places. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Hitman Neutral Newbie June 15, 2005 Author Share June 15, 2005 Those were the days when racing was racing. It didnt matter whether you are team-mates or not, you race each other like men The Prost and Senna duel both in McLarens was also just if not more highly charged And then Ferrari came along and spoilt the racing party by applying team orders Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Seansene 1st Gear June 15, 2005 Share June 15, 2005 Sigh... at least Rubens is behaving like his own man after the Monaco last lap surprise Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Hitman Neutral Newbie June 15, 2005 Author Share June 15, 2005 (edited) You what ... I think that in itself is a big lie. I think there was nothing there at Monaco, he knew he had to give way to Shumi. This sorta thing is already brainwashed into his head. But I think Ferrari knew that everytime MS passed Rubi ... everyone would scream TEAM TACTICS. Thus theyhad to make it look genuine, and how genuine can it get with Rubens showing and giving the press a black face and some harsh words of displeasure. But I think its all an act. See ... recently in Canada he just had a reversal in opinions to what he said Edited June 15, 2005 by Hitman Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Seansene 1st Gear June 15, 2005 Share June 15, 2005 More conspiracy theories? Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Hitman Neutral Newbie June 15, 2005 Author Share June 15, 2005 Always ↡ Advertisement Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In NowRelated Discussions
Related Discussions
Whats the best bluetooth earpiece?
Whats the best bluetooth earpiece?
Whats's the difference between rubbing compound and polishing compound?
Whats's the difference between rubbing compound and polishing compound?
Air France A380 Engine Failure: whats ur worst experience?
Air France A380 Engine Failure: whats ur worst experience?
Whats Make Our Life 100% Successful ?
Whats Make Our Life 100% Successful ?
Whats your favourite fine dining place?
Whats your favourite fine dining place?
Fellow oldies, whats your bedtime these days?
Fellow oldies, whats your bedtime these days?
Hi all
Hi all
Whats the driving protocol for Emergency vehicles?
Whats the driving protocol for Emergency vehicles?