Renegade Neutral Newbie June 17, 2005 Share June 17, 2005 (edited) We're 3 days shy of one little anthracite blue Mk2 Toledo turning 3 but seeing I probably won't be able to log this on her birthday (yes, I'm pretty much convinced mine's a "she" ) and to-date, I am still pretty much proud to say I'm glad I chose her over the rest three years ago. Stats - 1.6m 5-speed manual anthracite blue, stock except for Mintex Red's (K&N recently got discarded "accidentally" ). Was on Pirelli p6000's, now Bridgestone g3's. Mileage - 66000+ (a lot lower than a certain black one... ) Fuel consumption (km/ltr): Best ever - 14.1 (NS highway blast) Worst ever - 8.9 (don't ask me what I was doing then.... ) Average - 11.5 Repairs and reliability - contrary to popular belief and despite countless doomsayers, I'm proud to report, apart from wear-and-tear issues and minor niggles (all listed below) she's been pretty much trouble-free. Repair costs and part replacement have also, contrary to general perception, been pretty reasonable. Unplanned repairs to-date: - sagging roof lining which I didn't notice (replaced under warranty) - faulty aircon vent (changed twice under warranty) - 12-volt plug in boot not working (blown fuse, replaced under warranty) - rear wheel hub (overtightened bolt snapped, replaced by now-mercifully-defunct dealer after some major haggling) - faulty temperature sensor ($20) - brake pad change (can't remember price for pads, labour free ) - broken dipstick ($12) - blown gasket, oil leak (gasket replaced - $70 incl workmanship) - clogged throttle valve (after blast up and down NS h'wy) - blown front indicator, orange bulb ($5) - front passenger window lifter module replacement ($330 - incl workmanship...ouch!) - complete transmission shift linkage replacement ($240 - incl workmanship - very pleased with outcome ) Agenda for the coming year - timing belt (ouch time.... ) - clutch - possibly another window module Likes to-date - build quality for a car of its range still impresses 3 years on - toys, toys and more toys (cruise control, ICE with speed-sensitive volume adjustment and split front-rear function control, trip computer, built-in rear blind which I hardly use, great 6-disc CD changer, digital climate control) - decent handling (not the best) in stock form, not-too-firm ride - surprisingly stable at highway speeds - usually ignored, which I really appreciate in M'sia (some say she's Korean..... ) - damped grab handles.... - huge boot - poor resale value - decent power to haul the family Dislikes to-date - lack of cubby holes - nonsense radio reception (then again, there's not much to listen to.... ) - tempremental alarm (especially in my 1st year of ownership ) - in-dash changer means a joke-of-a glovebox - fragile dipstick - squealy brakes in the morning with Mintex pads (sounds like an SBS bus when I leave for work....) - rubbery, inconsistent (and seemingly mood-dependent) gearshift, made worse by wear-and-tear - monster boot compromises rear legroom - lacks power when I'm alone In short, I'm definitely looking forward to spending a couple more years with her... Edited June 17, 2005 by Renegade ↡ Advertisement Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Magfocus 5th Gear June 17, 2005 Share June 17, 2005 Thats seriously a good long term "test" report.. But how on earth does one break a dipstick? Cheers to brave souls with rare cars that have poor resale Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lightspeed Clutched June 17, 2005 Share June 17, 2005 Glad to know you're still enjoying your ride ... Planning to keep it for a few more years? I'm having lots of fun with my old ride as well... no regrets whatsoever... I was on Mintex for about a year... had the same old problems you had... damn noisy when not warmed up.... Switched to Pagid (front) for 2 weeks already... (changed pads - female car?) No more squeaky problems... Not so many rude stares when you leave for work in the morning Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lightspeed Clutched June 17, 2005 Share June 17, 2005 The VAG dipstick seems to be one of the few manufacturing faults besides the window lifter thingy Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Magfocus 5th Gear June 17, 2005 Share June 17, 2005 Well.. at least it doesnt affect driving.. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Phalanx Neutral Newbie June 17, 2005 Share June 17, 2005 I might have a spare K&N filter for the Toad. You want? Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
St88 Neutral Newbie June 17, 2005 Share June 17, 2005 (edited) The dipstick seems to be a common problem with vag cars, I've gone thru 2 changes so counting the original i'm on the 3rd stick now. The problem could be avoided by not pulling out the stick when engine is very hot, eg let engine cool down first. Note the diff. when pulling out dipstick with engine cool and hot, it's much easier when cool. One other problem which I think is common with the Mk2 Toledo, the aircon fuse on the fuse box on top of battery. Mine kept blowing until Peter Seat did a by pass. Other than this and the +tive & -tive u mention on your Toledo I'm pretty satisfied with mine too. K, I received quite a thorough report fr someWAN's inauguration drive how's yours? Edited June 17, 2005 by St88 Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mk1gti Neutral Newbie June 17, 2005 Share June 17, 2005 Woo hoo!!!!! Got my new ride yesterday at around 5 pm. Piiissssshhhh Piiiisssshhhh!!!!!! Only got good things to say............... See you guys during the next meet up...... Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
XLR8 1st Gear June 17, 2005 Share June 17, 2005 Just brought my Octy for servicing and when the took out the dipstick, the top handle broke into pieces. Fact is I never check my engine oil level, in other words never touch the dipstick. Manufacturers fault i guess. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Magfocus 5th Gear June 18, 2005 Share June 18, 2005 More like the supplier's fault. Sometimes its not the manufacturer, but they still take the blame for it being part of the car. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Soya Supersonic June 18, 2005 Share June 18, 2005 The VAG dipstick seems to be one of the few manufacturing faults besides the window lifter thingy know that conti usually hv it's fair share of bugs but a broken dipstick...?? Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lightspeed Clutched June 18, 2005 Share June 18, 2005 Insane... but true Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Eugh Neutral Newbie June 18, 2005 Share June 18, 2005 Due to the heat in the engine bay, it becomes brittle over time - had to replace in both my VAG rides... more problematic would be the dipstick guide... Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Phalanx Neutral Newbie June 18, 2005 Share June 18, 2005 The dipstick seems to be a common problem with vag cars, I've gone thru 2 changes so counting the original i'm on the 3rd stick now. The problem could be avoided by not pulling out the stick when engine is very hot, eg let engine cool down first. Note the diff. when pulling out dipstick with engine cool and hot, it's much easier when cool. One other problem which I think is common with the Mk2 Toledo, the aircon fuse on the fuse box on top of battery. Mine kept blowing until Peter Seat did a by pass. Other than this and the +tive & -tive u mention on your Toledo I'm pretty satisfied with mine too. K, I received quite a thorough report fr someWAN's inauguration drive how's yours? Mine's good, very responsive drive. Car has so many toys with it, been too busy driving and reading the blardy thick manuals to post anything here heh. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Phalanx Neutral Newbie June 18, 2005 Share June 18, 2005 Just brought my Octy for servicing and when the took out the dipstick, the top handle broke into pieces. Fact is I never check my engine oil level, in other words never touch the dipstick. Manufacturers fault i guess. Yes I got that too...I always check the oil level in the mornings after the car has been left overnight. When I removed the dipstick, it just cracked into pieces... Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
St88 Neutral Newbie June 18, 2005 Share June 18, 2005 (edited) K, since manual are so thick u read the manuals and i drive your new toy. Edited June 18, 2005 by St88 Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mk1gti Neutral Newbie June 18, 2005 Share June 18, 2005 P, Just get the Vectra lah. Its damn cheap and damn good and full of features........ :devil2: Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Phalanx Neutral Newbie June 18, 2005 Share June 18, 2005 Sorry, i finished the manuals already hah. ↡ Advertisement Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In NowRelated Discussions
Related Discussions
Nice / Rare Vehicle Registration Number - Part 2
Nice / Rare Vehicle Registration Number - Part 2
Unusual or Rare Cars - Part 3
Unusual or Rare Cars - Part 3
Toad Problem.
Toad Problem.
Cars We Don't Get to Drive in Singapore
Cars We Don't Get to Drive in Singapore
Nice / Rare Vehicle Registration Number
Nice / Rare Vehicle Registration Number
Unusual or Rare Cars - Part 2
Unusual or Rare Cars - Part 2
Happy National Day 2021
Happy National Day 2021
Happy New Year 2022
Happy New Year 2022