Highly Danger Cyclist roaming on road

Lemonade78

Last week, when i driving home at punggol, heard a Taxi horning and then notice that the taxi driver is horning a cyclist (Racer bike cyclist)who is riding in the middle of the road. When the taxi came to a stopped at the traffic light and then came the cyclist stopping beside the taxi. Suddenly, the cyclist using his fist and bang the window of the taxi. I was shocked to see this as my car is next to the taxi. Then the taxi driver wind down his window and ask the cyclist what he want and was saying in hokkien that the cyclist at fault for riding in the middle of the road and still wanna find trouble. The reaction of the cyclist was "#@*!&^%CB^&*CB^&*)*CB....you know the rules a not...%&^**CB#$%^$CB"!!!

Luckily, the taxi driver has a passenger in his car or else more problem will happen. After that, this cyclist still occupying one lane by himself feeling that this lane belongs to him.

Just like to know is the cyclist really allowed to ride in the middle of the road the rules allowed them to do it????

Really feel sorry for the taxi driver meeting such arrogant cyclist.

↡ Advertisement

hmm... i know that's no place for a cyclist.. not on the pavement or on the road... i think let live a bit lor... but the reaction of the cyclist also too much la... taxi should just change lanes or move more to the right with a slight tap on the horn...

Edited by Comfy

Neutral Newbie

Does cyclist pay road tax?

Hogging is a offend also...if they want to cycle in the middle of the road, please cycle at the min require speed as the cars.

Neutral Newbie

ha ha than you properly a fat potatoe ha ha [laugh] if you do sport, you know a roadbike can easily maintain 50km/h unless the people you know all own stupid heavy bike

Neutral Newbie

50KM/h is slow in today's standard. Maybe u are still living ten years ago. Now many lorries and heavy vehicles min is 60-70km/h..BTW, if cyclist can pick-up and maintain the speed, I wouldn't mind they share the same lane. If not please move aside. The roads are jam due to too many cars here. Please dun cause more jam. Sorry but please be considerate.

Edited by Jkhw73

why dun you direct the email to the traffic police and LTA dept?

Does a cyclist have the right to cycle in the middle of the lane?

(edited)

hmmm...i wanna take the video shot of that stupid arrogant cyclist..but no chance.

When the cyclist riding infront of me, i really have the urged to hit that axxxxxe. Seeing this kind of arrogant ppl really makes me [mad]

Just feel puzzle why that moron shouted at the taxi driver saying if he knows the rules.... [:/]

Edited by Lemonade78

What the cyclist did is known as "taking the lane". The reason for that is many drivers in Singapore are clueless about how to treat cyclists on the road. Typically, the uneducated comeback they have is, "do they pay road tax?" And why should they seeing as they are green and clean, unlike motorized vehicles?

By taking the lane, the cyclist becomes more visible and ergo, it becomes safer for him/her as vehicles would tend to avoid the cyclist instead of squeezing him to the side.

Now having written that, it doesn't mean that the cyclist should take the lane all the time. The times when they should is when they feel that it would be dangerous for them to do otherwise. An example would be along Old Choa Chu Kang road, when it narrows to 1 lane with concrete blocks on either side barely wide enough for the buses and trucks that ply that route. This is when the cyclist should take the lane. The distance is short, maybe about 100m or so.

I believe that the traffic police stipulates that cyclist should only ride on the left of the leftmost lane. So riding two abreast or taking the lane for long distances is actually illegal.

Hogging is a offend also...if they want to cycle in the middle of the road, please cycle at the min require speed as the cars.

do u pay road tax when u didn't own a car/s? if u wanna calculate that much then all those china man or FT or infants/kids need to pay road tax when crossing the road?

Neutral Newbie

I think it is high time that some education be done on the do's and don'ts for cyclists on the roads, both for cyclists and motorists. I frequent the Lim Chu Kang Rd / Sungei Kadut area to visit the farms in that area. Incidentally, this is also where cyclists love to roam. It is common to see them riding in an disorganised bunch on the road, taking up the entire lane. When cars approach from behind, they don't even bother to keep to one side, being the slower mover. They expect you to cross over to the opposite lane to overtake them.

There was once when I was on a narrow single lane road, when a cyclist and his daughter (also on a bike) cycled in the middle of the lane. I approached and gave a light horn, he maintained his position and signaled for me to overtake with the opposite lane. I did, and when I passed, he gave me that WTF look. Which made me wonder, sure I can do the overtake on the opposite lane, sure he may be trying to make sure his daughter is safe from the cars, but did he have the right to do so?

Anyway, I've always thought and was told that when cycling on the road, should always cycle in an indian file at the left most of the left lane (unless turning right). So the behaviour of these cyclists, I really wonder if it is justified.

Coincidentally (or not), most of the cases I've encountered, including the above elaborated, are with Ang Mo cyclists.

The ang moh cyclists come from countries that may be more bicycle friendly than Singapore. These countries have dedicated bike lanes, wider lanes, and usually more courteous and patient drivers (of course, like with everything else, there are the odd exceptions).

So when they are posted here, they take along with them the mentality that bicycles also have a right to share the road. Perhaps, with the driving stunts witnessed on the roads everyday, it is no wonder that they might feel safer taking up the whole lane.

IMNSHO, road cyclists performing stunts like racing on the road with plenty of traffic as if they were in the Tour de France, are really stupid are only asking for a serious accident.

I cycle and also drive, and have done so in the US, UK, Australia, and Singapore, so therefore can understand both sides. It's all a matter of live and let live.

Neutral Newbie

Many letters have been published in the ST Forum regarding cyclists riding dangerously, riding against traffic flow, w/o lights etc.

The SPF's standard reply was, they have limited resources, let all road users be tolerant of one another bla bla bla.

The reality is, the law makers themselves have NOT met with any accidents involving these blatant cyclists. Maybe such cyclists are rarely seen in the estates the ministers and MPs live in?

Neutral Newbie

Okay, this is extracted from :

ROAD TRAFFIC ACT (Chapter 276, Sect 140)

ROAD TRAFFIC (BICYCLE) RULES

NOTE the date IS [25th November 1955] [sweatdrop]

Also note :

1. Riding 3 abreast is NOT allowed. Riding 2 abreast is not DISALLOWED. [:p]

2. Bicycle to be ridden close to the left hand edge of the roadway. Roadway is mention and not lane. How close is close is up to your own interpretation and common sense. [sly]

znstad.jpg

The full version is in the attached PDF for those genuinelly interseted :

saca_communique_Laws_Applicable_to_Cyclists_in_Singapore_(22.7.03).pdf

Edited by Fondue

Neutral Newbie

do u pay road tax when u didn't own a car/s? if u wanna calculate that much then all those china man or FT or infants/kids need to pay road tax when crossing the road?

Crossing the road is different from walking along the middle of the road.

MPs has tried to introduce bicycle lanes like Germany etc but were rejected. They knew this problem. In the end, I feel the cyclist should take care of themselves and not to be in their losing end. Not many people are so understanding and educated. In my estate, so many cyclist cycle along the pathway and they do not slow down when they pass u or the infant. What can I do? Ask them to cycle on the road where most cars go 70KM/h? I do not know what to do? This is Singapore.

Edited by Jkhw73

No lah, juz joking as that cyclist is really damn SL thats why makes me really [mad]

I know that when drivers and cyclist are concern in an accident, drivers are sure to be at fault regardless any reason. Hence, no point lor

↡ Advertisement