New Mini One

Mini

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Test drove it a few weeks backaround Raffles Blvd/Suntec area.

Pluses - very chuckable, fun to drive car that's well suited especially for city driving. Manual gearing well spaced. Size makes it relatively easy to manuever in tight corners. Revs freely (even more so on the Cooper and S) and willingly. Lovely note especially in high revs, a bit coarse initially.

Minuses - It's going for the high side of $90k. For that sort of money, there are quite a few other things that you'd expect from it (and many cars to consider), apart from the fact that it's made by BMW, like not having to pay for the (optional) rev counter. Interior is really cheap for an almost $100k car - plastics quality nasty, easily scratched with fingernails (wouldn't even expect this in entry level Asian cars), build not that great overall. When confronted, the SE said "Oh, the scratches can be polished away with a bit of effort.....". Go figure.

Overall impression - way overpriced. High OMV notwithstanding (high $20k region), the One sells for about 35% less than a Ford Focus in the UK. One of the reasons it's such a hit in Europe is the pricing. Over here, after you throw in leather seats (optional), rev counter (optional), alloys (optional) and a few other things, it's going to cost you more than a Ford Mondeo (not in the same category, I know). Would make it to the list as a second car for many I know but wouldn't rank very high. In the end, is it really worth paying that much for the tag and image that goes along with it ? Honestly, were I in the market to spend such money on such a car (possibly 2nd or 3rd), I'd save up a bit more and get a Civic Type-R, which, I'm confident, is a whole lot more fun. Or save some cash and get a YRV Turbo.....

Edited by Renegade

Neutral Newbie

great analysis. Can't figure out why people spend that kind of $$ on a Mini...if Cooper S can understand but the el cheapo with nothing cost 100K [dizzy]

Neutral Newbie

Thanks,going to get a car around 100k,find this mini one very swee.....

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated!!

It's all about image, and that's it.

Just like enthusiasts who would pay a bomb for a 2nd hand 911, which I sat in before. The air con was not cool, and the engine was hell of a noisy, rather than sweet (eg. Alfa Romeo)