Lexus 450h Query

Blue850r

Hi All,

Lexus 450h is a Hybrid car using both electric motor and a 3.5L V6 engine to drive the car.

My question is : At what speed will the engine take over from the electric motors? 10km/h / 20km/h??

The brochure says: The gas engine starts when normal speed driving begins, with moderate assistance from the electric motor generator.

So what is the Normal Speed referring to?? Any owners here? Thanks. [scholar]

↡ Advertisement

it depends on throttle position (aka how far you step on the accelerator).

generally, from a traffic stop, it will go up to about 20-30km/h before the ICE fires up. If you modulate well enough, you can hit about 40km/h with electric power, before it becomes "unbearable". people behind would usually be really pissed by this time!

Edited by Kyojin

0-60mph (96kmh) is 5.2s

0-100kmh (62mph) is 5.9s

yes, so from 96-100km/h it takes 0.7 seconds. weird hur?

but for what it's worth, it's quite fast in the straight line, when both the ICE and electric motor are pumping power to the wheels...

Edited by Kyojin

Hi All,

Lexus 450h is a Hybrid car using both electric motor and a 3.5L V6 engine to drive the car.

My question is : At what speed will the engine take over from the electric motors? 10km/h / 20km/h??

The brochure says: The gas engine starts when normal speed driving begins, with moderate assistance from the electric motor generator.

So what is the Normal Speed referring to?? Any owners here? Thanks. [scholar]

I don't own a hybrid but from what I've seen on the docus, the term of 'normal speed' here depends on what is going on at that time. A hybrid car will use the electric motor for the starts as this is the part that uses the most power/energy in terms of getting the car moving and if you keep on accelerating, it will continue to use the electric motor until you settle into a cruising speed, to which it would switch to fuel to keep the momentum going. So there isn;t really a normal speed, it depends on the speed at which you start to cruise be it 50,60,70 or even 100+ or until the juice from the batteries run out.

I don't own a hybrid but from what I've seen on the docus, the term of 'normal speed' here depends on what is going on at that time. A hybrid car will use the electric motor for the starts as this is the part that uses the most power/energy in terms of getting the car moving and if you keep on accelerating, it will continue to use the electric motor until you settle into a cruising speed, to which it would switch to fuel to keep the momentum going. So there isn;t really a normal speed, it depends on the speed at which you start to cruise be it 50,60,70 or even 100+ or until the juice from the batteries run out.

If the electric motor can run until 30km/h or 40km/h then it is very good for traffic jam and slow moving traffic.

yes, it can travel to about 30km/h in electric and is good for traffic jams. the ICE won't fire up until the battery runs low

↡ Advertisement