FEDERAL TYRES

Remixes

Hi bros

Where to get the best price for federal tyres ....if inconvience can pm mi thanks!

↡ Advertisement

I dont see any problem with them but having said that, the people I know that uses them are mainly Jap Imports.

Federal 595SS, RS-R and Kumho KU31, KU36 are very popular with the car enthuasist community mainly because of their value for money during the dry. Wet days on the other hand is like what everyone else says but I was told the KU31 and 595SS perform better during the wet comparing to the other 2 due to their intended market.

These tyres are not manufacture to last too if longevity is 1 of your selection criteria. The RS-R and KU36 are less than 30,000km. My old BS Potenza RE050a lasted more than 50,000km just for comparison.

Used Federal 535, Evo and RSR....all useless.....the tyre cannot last long and an unreliable brand that made to sell cheaply....waste of money...

Edited by SGCMniceguy

Used Federal 535, Evo and RSR....all useless.....the tyre cannot last long and an unreliable brand that made to sell cheaply....waste of money...

Thats not what I've been hearing from people that uses them leh. Cannot last is true though. Less than 30,000km.

Thats not what I've been hearing from people that uses them leh. Cannot last is true though. Less than 30,000km.

My last set of 595 Evo gave me good grip for the first 20K, after that went totally downhill. Managed to squeeze nearly 45K from them, but then I told myself not to use Federal tyres again because the tyres nearly backstabbed me. I posted a picture in the very long Federal tyres thread, I think that was about the 595 Evo.

Here's my post in the other thread

http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?showto...t&p=3476564

Edited by Beehive3783

My last set of 595 Evo gave me good grip for the first 20K, after that went totally downhill. Managed to squeeze nearly 45K from them, but then I told myself not to use Federal tyres again because the tyres nearly backstabbed me. I posted a picture in the very long Federal tyres thread, I think that was about the 595 Evo.

Here's my post in the other thread

http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?showto...t&p=3476564

What car were you driving back? Also was that the inner side of the tyre (cannot be seen when fitted on car)? If so, I am guess you're driving a performance car or your alignment has been done very badly. Reason being you mention theres still a lot of thread left.

Typically for performance car you will have a fair bit of chamber (for traction/grip) and that can be a problem if the guy that does your alignment set it to the max adjustable setting. However, for performance cars, even at the minimal chamber setting, the inside will still wear slightly faster if you do hard corners because of the nature of the car. My old 050a was balding on the inside on just 1 tyre and the other 3 were still above 40% thread when I change them.

What car were you driving back? Also was that the inner side of the tyre (cannot be seen when fitted on car)? If so, I am guess you're driving a performance car or your alignment has been done very badly. Reason being you mention theres still a lot of thread left.

Typically for performance car you will have a fair bit of chamber (for traction/grip) and that can be a problem if the guy that does your alignment set it to the max adjustable setting. However, for performance cars, even at the minimal chamber setting, the inside will still wear slightly faster if you do hard corners because of the nature of the car. My old 050a was balding on the inside on just 1 tyre and the other 3 were still above 40% thread when I change them.

I'm driving a simple Korean car, the Avante. So yeah, it's not a performance car [laugh]

Yes, that was the inner side of the tyre. Shocked me to bits because I never saw that coming. :o

Frankly speaking, I do not understand how it can be an alignment problem (even though it most likely is an alignment problem) because this happened only on 1 tyre. The other 3 were ok, and I observed even thread wear across the whole section width of the tyre thread on all of the tyres.

My last alignment was done more than a year ago and back then the mech set it to about -1.5 (I think) after I changed to adjustable front camber nuts because the camber on the stock rear suspension cannot be adjusted and it read about -1.5 as well. Since then I have not done any further alignment changes. Do you think I should go and do another round of alignment at another shop?

I'm driving a simple Korean car, the Avante. So yeah, it's not a performance car [laugh]

Yes, that was the inner side of the tyre. Shocked me to bits because I never saw that coming. :o

Frankly speaking, I do not understand how it can be an alignment problem (even though it most likely is an alignment problem) because this happened only on 1 tyre. The other 3 were ok, and I observed even thread wear across the whole section width of the tyre thread on all of the tyres.

My last alignment was done more than a year ago and back then the mech set it to about -1.5 (I think) after I changed to adjustable front camber nuts because the camber on the stock rear suspension cannot be adjusted and it read about -1.5 as well. Since then I have not done any further alignment changes. Do you think I should go and do another round of alignment at another shop?

I am not a Guru for this but what I understand is uneven wearing can be due to nature of car, alignment and driving style. Maybe try researching more yourself before speak to the shop. They should know what they're doing

I am not saying the Federals are the best tyres (I dont even use them) but they're not as bad. What I gathered is bad grip during wet and bad wearing. What you've experienced could be due to the bad wearing of Federals and also alignment then.

I would recommend getting alignment/rotation done every 10,000 to 15,000km? Or at least thats what I'll be doing myself (closer to 15,000km). My old 050a had a dodgy alignment guy so I wasnt surprised that I had issue with it.

I am not a Guru for this but what I understand is uneven wearing can be due to nature of car, alignment and driving style. Maybe try researching more yourself before speak to the shop. They should know what they're doing

I am not saying the Federals are the best tyres (I dont even use them) but they're not as bad. What I gathered is bad grip during wet and bad wearing. What you've experienced could be due to the bad wearing of Federals and also alignment then.

I would recommend getting alignment/rotation done every 10,000 to 15,000km? Or at least thats what I'll be doing myself (closer to 15,000km). My old 050a had a dodgy alignment guy so I wasnt surprised that I had issue with it.

I do get my tyres rotated every 8000km till end of useful life. Comes free with purchase of a set of tyres from my regular tyre shop [laugh]

As for driving style, yes I do love taking long sweeping bends at high speeds so probably that's another factor. Recently just returned from a road trip to Cherating in Malaysia. The Federal Road 3 is awesome. NSH is nothing compared to it :wub:

I am thinking of doing another round of wheel alignment because I think the previous alignment guy screwed it up for me. I may want to have a slightly more conservative camber at the front due to considerations on the engine's weight and also because of the FWD drivetrain. Can't do any rear camber adjustments so I have no choice but to leave it at whatever the values are.

Anyway it's good to share experiences. That's how we learn things. [nod]

Hmmz...

So far on 595ss....not too bad except for the uneven wear(back tyres very lumpy-front smoother as fwd) and the noise.

Otherwise, I find the grip pretty ok for a tyre of this price range.

Can tahan up to 170 in the wet. After that slowed down to 140 due to puddles forming. And so far minimal aqua-planing.

I do get my tyres rotated every 8000km till end of useful life. Comes free with purchase of a set of tyres from my regular tyre shop [laugh]

As for driving style, yes I do love taking long sweeping bends at high speeds so probably that's another factor. Recently just returned from a road trip to Cherating in Malaysia. The Federal Road 3 is awesome. NSH is nothing compared to it :wub:

I am thinking of doing another round of wheel alignment because I think the previous alignment guy screwed it up for me. I may want to have a slightly more conservative camber at the front due to considerations on the engine's weight and also because of the FWD drivetrain. Can't do any rear camber adjustments so I have no choice but to leave it at whatever the values are.

Anyway it's good to share experiences. That's how we learn things. [nod]

[thumbsup]

Hmmz...

So far on 595ss....not too bad except for the uneven wear(back tyres very lumpy-front smoother as fwd) and the noise.

Otherwise, I find the grip pretty ok for a tyre of this price range.

Can tahan up to 170 in the wet. After that slowed down to 140 due to puddles forming. And so far minimal aqua-planing.

Sounds right. Oh yea U forgot to mention. I recently got new tyres from tirerack and fit them through my mate's friend and he f--ked everything up (even got 1 inside out). So I brought the car to another guy and redo everything. Guess what he told me? Most of them has got hard spots from the last fitting (imagine compressiong a rubber and creating a hard spot). This hard spot will not go away and will f--k your balancing a lil. Just a note to you guys out there that fitting of tyre isnt all that easy if you wanna do it properly.

Trust me, skip this tire. I used for 6000km and sell it away. Worst tires I'd ever use.

It's cheaper of course, it's dangerous, it's VERY VERY noisy, harden easily, air pressure always leak for no reasons......etc.

( It's good for Off road riding )

Invest something "reputable" . This Federal is a nightmare to me, finally over!!! :ph34r:

Hi bros

Where to get the best price for federal tyres ....if inconvience can pm mi thanks!

Edited by Shor